2007 new shape corolla spark plug change

chopin2

Hi there,

I recently being reading too much XXXXXX about spark plugs. and thought I need change my spark plug. Nothing wrong with current one. I would like to change to iradium plugs...when when coil pack removed. I can not access the sockets onto the plugs, it just spins around....Its differnt to honda.

when I ring up tye dealer, they said they have not done one yet <_<

have anyone done it?

So, if I do have open upthe rocket cover, should I repalce the new gasket?

Help???

tahnks

Edited by chopin2

I'm going out on a limb here, but are you using the correct size socket? As I have two or three different spark plug sockets at home.

I doubt you would need to take the cam cover off as that would be a pain for servicing. But without seeing it I can't give much more advice.

What spark plugs came from stock?? I don't think you would need to change it that soon...Also are you using the socket that came with the tool kit in your car?? If your using another socket, then make sure its the right size and it must be a deep socket.

Look at your tool kit that came with the car, there is a long circular tube. One of the ends are used to remove spark plugs in your car.

All you have to do is unplug the coilpacks put the socket in and remove. If there is a plastic engine cover, that obviously needs to be removed prior to gaining access to the coil packs.

Cheers

I just recently replaced my plugs with iridium(2005 Hatch) and had no dramas. The only cover you need to remove would be the plastic cover sitting over the top of the motor and if you find the spanner is just spinning I would say as the one of previous posters said "try another size" I wouldn't imagine the later models would be much, if any, different to the earlier ones.

Remove the plastic engine cover

Remove the coil packs

Using the smaller spark plug socket, remove the spark plugs...

Replace spark plugs, coil packs and engine cover :) :) :) ...

thanks everyone. I am using the spark plug tool that I USED for honda...but obviousely it does not work -16mm long deep socket. I think it must be the SMALLER socket???what size?

Remove the coil packs

thanks everyone. I am using the spark plug tool that I USED for honda...but obviousely it does not work -16mm long deep socket. I think it must be the SMALLER socket???what size?

how many K's have you done? why are you replacing. Even if you treat your car like a hooker the plugs should last at the very least 20,000km.

You will see no benefit with iridiums on a brand new engine except longer service life - and seeing as you are willing to change brand new plugs out so soon - I'm doubting you'll even take advantage or that. Iridium plugs won't make your car go faster if that's what you're hoping for. save the $70-$90 for something else.

my 2cents

Remove the coil packs

You should have the tool in your boot...

I wouldn't bother changing to iridium though, I found it made no discernable difference to performance or economy. It's probably different once you start getting into heavy modifications though.

Remove the coil packs

I wouldn't bother changing to iridium though, I found it made no discernable difference to performance or economy. It's probably different once you start getting into heavy modifications though.

ok ok no offence to anyone. I did a lots time trials with my previous b18c both using standadrd R ngk vs irradium. and the result was 0-100km/h difference around 0.2 sec... :spiteful: I also tried the airnix ram pod filter vs stock type r filter...quess waht. Airnix is making a lose-0.2 sec slower but more noise......I do all small mods based on stop watch /g tec but not on common sense.

Remove the coil packs

ok ok no offence to anyone. I did a lots time trials with my previous b18c both using standadrd R ngk vs irradium. and the result was 0-100km/h difference around 0.2 sec... :spiteful: I also tried the airnix ram pod filter vs stock type r filter...quess waht. Airnix is making a lose-0.2 sec slower but more noise......I do all small mods based on stop watch /g tec but not on common sense.

Not trying to be a prik but is the 0.2 second an average over serveral runs or just one? Because a small difference like that over such a short distance not to mention your reaction time with the stop watch...etc there are just too many variables for you to say conclusively that iridium plugs made your car faster. Hell if that where the case you'd have every Honda fan boy slap on some iridium plugs and run 11's down the quarter. The reason sportivo's have iridiums is because of the heat rating and also because they are more durable for the high revving nature of the 2ZZ.

to put Iridiums on a brand new, unmodded engine that revs to where it does just increases your poser factore by 10points. LOL. Dude, seriously, spend the money on something more worthwhile e.g put it towards an exhaust system, or a better stop watch. :whistling:

Edited by qkslvr

ok ok, every one. No more hondas...so far the new corolla is very very good to me in terms of noise and its refinement ....I could not beleive it.

the o.2 sec time was done at random and also on 4 runs at max. each time I time trial. at least it has proven to myself , you either beleive it or not...perhaps all car are different....no BS from me mate. wait till I do my exhaust....

so far 700$ saved :spiteful: up for turbo set up

Edited by chopin2

...and only $9300 to go...

what are you laughing at me xxxxxxx. I know few guys does the turbo in sydney, fro what i want ...around 5000$ is enough. my mate in brisbance is doing his civic b16a and so far 4500$ -----I am still waiting news from him.

sure... I'd like to see you turbo a 2zr-fe for less than $5K.

What ECU are you going to use to replace the DBW unit?

What injectors are you going to use?

What fuel system are you going to use?

Who's fabricating the turbo manifold/dump pipe/cooler pipes, etc etc.

Seeing how you can't figure out how to change your sparkplugs, I'm guessing you might have some trouble turbocharging the car yourself, so I'd guess you'd need a workshop to do it @$80-110/hr.

Soooo...

Secondhand turbo - $300

Steampipe manifold - $500-600

Dump pipe - $300

ECU that can handle DBW and dual VVTi - $4500

Injectors - $400-600

Intercooler $150

Silicon hose and clamps $170

Intercooler pipes $400

BOV - $45

Oil/water lines - $150

Sump modification to suit turbo - $250 (incl removal, cleaning, welding, installation)

Fuel pump - $170

Return fuel rail, regulator, lines, etc etc $500

That list doesn't include everything required, would most likely need an uprated clutch and would need a days dyno tuning @ $110/hr. Then you might want to crack open the motor to make it more suitable for forced induction, custom rods, pistons, full VRS kit, etc etc.

Honda's are easy to turbo, there's tons of kits available for them. When you have to do a complete custom setup, the cost skyrockets, just ask Xoom.

ok okok...

if youi are talking forged pistons..1000$ extra for sure. but I am not too greedy on power. once its t25. Let it be.

Ecu.i am waiting fro haltec new e8 that works with electronic throttle that replaces the whole current ecu(1700$). Tunning in -in house in campsie-400$. Liverpool exhaust do all manifold and pipes including silcon...all for 1000$. injectors....use stock would be enoug for my need 180kw. what you think???

hehe. No one is trying to shoot down your turbo plans, Chopin2. Far from it. I sure everyone that has commented on your plans somehow wants to see you see it through. It's just that you talk/write like your 16years old and just gotten hold of his daddy's car keys. You come on here and start boasting about your x.xx second 0-100 runs and rar rar rar...but you've asked no technical questions about any of your plans. you lastest question was about using the wrong socket to extract your spark plugs. Then you go off on a tangent about your Honda and your ultra cheap turbo plans.

hehe. No one is trying to shoot down your turbo plans, Chopin2. Far from it. I sure everyone that has commented on your plans somehow wants to see you see it through. It's just that you talk/write like your 16years old and just gotten hold of his daddy's car keys. You come on here and start boasting about your x.xx second 0-100 runs and rar rar rar...but you've asked no technical questions about any of your plans. you lastest question was about using the wrong socket to extract your spark plugs. Then you go off on a tangent about your Honda and your ultra cheap turbo plans.

please, 16 years old??//boasting....I think I am old enougt to be your father :blink: by the way, my mechanic told me the budget turbo. This is what I account for....you either take it or leave it. Sometimes, over enginnering or doing is a waste of money.. :yahoo: ok......I think people should be more modest here rather than "arrogant"..dnt you think???

ps all my time trials are my own hobbies,,,,as long as I enjoyed and prove it...so be it. We all leave in science world arent we??

please, 16 years old??//boasting....I think I am old enougt to be your father :blink: by the way, my mechanic told me the budget turbo. This is what I account for....you either take it or leave it. Sometimes, over enginnering or doing is a waste of money.. :yahoo: ok......I think people should be more modest here rather than "arrogant"..dnt you think???

ps all my time trials are my own hobbies,,,,as long as I enjoyed and prove it...so be it. We all leave in science world arent we??

Hahaha. FFS! If you're really old enough to be my father then i really worry for you. I have no f'ing idea on half of what you wrote. this forum get's someone of your nature every few months - with their ultrafast econobox or their AWD Aurion with a gazilion horsepower. You give everyone on here a good chuckle, that's for sure. So thanks for keeping it all light. LOL

btw, i'm seriously about wanting to see you complete your turbo setup. I'm sure alot of people (myself included) will be biting our tounges when you rock up with the sweet Pfst sound of the fully sick blow-off valve. but until then, keep posting. working is stressful and I need a good chuckle now and then.

Unless you can do most of the work yourself, 5K is quite impossible.

ECU fitted and tune will set you back 2K (dunno about DBW though), unless you piggbacks can be used (not sure though)

Turbo manifold and dump pipe will set you back 1K minimum, if there is not much room then HPC will cost another $500

Turbo and its associated fittings will set you back another 1K minimum (using 2nd hand turbos)

Intercooler plumbing intake etc will be around $500 bare minimum

Gauges to monitor your vitals will set you back another $500 minimum

Return fuel line, and possibly injectors unless your running really low boost...

Also we haven't factored in labour....and we are nudging 5K

Suddenly it seems like we need more then 5K

Your clutch has to be able to handle the extra torque, as well as brakes and suspension.

This is with no touching of internals....

Ouch that has got to hurt....

What about piggybacks?? Do they work with DBW??

This has completely gone off topic.....

Oh yeah... Ummm...*in deep stern voice* try the socket that came with the car. that should get the spark plugs out. *cough* LOL

Edited by qkslvr