Kluger Price

Cyrus Pine

Third party brokers are a good way to get ripped off... they need to get paid too remember.

Whether it's a dealer or a broker you get ripped off one way or another :P

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi all I'm new to this forum, have found some great tips, thanks so much.

we're wanting to buy a new Kluger Grande 2WD and have been looking at some 09 stock.

Do you think we could pick up a deal around $56K?

I noticed someone last year said they got one for this with a lot of extras so hoping it's doable!

Also - how does fleet discount work? I've got my own business, can you get fleet discount for one car?

Hi guys, I'm new as well and currently don't own a Kluger but am hoping to very soon! (well as soon as we can snag a good deal on one, and a decent trade in price for my car!)

My husband and I looked at one yesterday and loved it! We still owe $22K on our Honda Civic which only has 40,000kms on it and is impeccable inside with only a few surface scratches on the bumper near the boot from getting the heavy pram in and out. The salesman was very pushy and getting the figures out of him was like pulling teeth! All he wanted to tell me was the end price we would have to borrow (which was $50K), he didn't want to tell me what he was giving us for our car or what he was charging for the Kluger! In the end I managed to get out of him that they were only giving us $12K for the Civic which left us with a shortfall of $10K so we realised that they were charging us $40K for the Kluger. The Kluger we were looking at was a 2009 model (because he told us he'd be able to give us one really cheap!) 2WD we wanted a 7 seater but he gave us the price on a 5 seater (obviously wasn't listening to us!) That to me doesn't sound like the "$hit hot deal" (his words!) that he promised us it would be (he actually told us that before he could give us any figures that if he got us the very best price of the day we'd have to agree to sign and were we prepared to do that!) does this sound too expensive or am I kidding myself that we can get a better deal than that?

I don't like being pressured into a sale by playing on my emotions and I sure as hell don't appreciate being taken for a fool, offering me $12K for my car! So needless to say we said no way to which he proceeded to try and sell us a second hand kluger that had scratches and dents all over it!

Why is it so damn stressful to buy a car??!! After having had a similar experience at this dealership many years ago I will never again go there!

Could you guys tell me what price could we expect to pay for a 2009 (new) 2WD 7 seater if they were being fair dinkum and giving us a "you beaut" price like they promise? I just need some ideas because I feel like they're having a lend of us!

Thanks in advance!

Hi Bree,

You should be able to get an 09 KX-R 2WD 7seater (with no extras) for around the $43K mark (drive away).

Minus any trade-in price from the $43K and that's your driveaway price.

Were you loking at the KX-R or KX-S model ?

$50K sounds like the KX-S model to me, which isn't a bad price for an -S model.

If it was the KX-R, go to another dealer and don't give the first salesman a second thought.

Also, if you are interested in getting any options/accessories, you are best to negotiate this at time of purchase as you will have much better bargaining power.

Things like tow bar, side steps, nudge bar, window tint, roof racks, etc.

There are a few threads here which has approx prices you'd be looking at for many of these options...

What year model civic ? One thing to remember is that trade-ins often get way less than what the car is really worth.

Private sale is best, but is often not convenient and can be time consuming.

The dealer will give you less than what it's worth as they need to onsell it, which adds cost to the final sale price they can sell it for (as well as the profit margin they need on top).

Have a look on carsales.com.au and value your civic, which will give you a rough estimate on what you can expect to get for your car as a trade-in.

You could also go to a few 2nd hand dealers and look for similar civics (or look on carsales) and see how much the civic is selling 2nd hand).

This will also arm you with the right information to bargain. If you know what your car is worth, it's less likely you'll get taken for a ride.

Hope this helps....and good luck. It is hard work buying a car, but once you're driving your Kluger it will all be worth it....trust me !

Dave :)

You can always tell a dealer you will be willing to sign if the price is right and then walk away once you've got them down to their best price.

In queensland there is a statutory cooling off period, so you could take the contract to another dealer and see if they will better the deal, and then cancell the original within the time period.

Edit: The above is actually incorrect, the cooling off period only applies to used cars in Qld, not new (http://www.legalaid.qld.gov.au/Legal+Infor...uying+a+car.htm).

It's not really a nice thing to do, but then sales strategies and pressures aren't nice either.

The other advice given above is spot on. Know what your trade in is worth and get them to list the amount separately.

Edited by Kesawi

You can always tell a dealer you will be willing to sign if the price is right and then walk away once you've got them down to their best price.

In queensland there is a statutory cooling off period, so you could take the contract to another dealer and see if they will better the deal, and then cancell the original within the time period.

It's not really a nice thing to do, but then sales strategies and pressures aren't nice either.

The other advice given above is spot on. Know what your trade in is worth and get them to list the amount separately.

We have the same statutory cooling off period here in Melbourne/VIC. you have 3 business days to "Cool Off".

Dont forget to mention you do have to pay a penalty for cancelling the contract, its 2% of the total cost of the car, so if its a $45000 Kluger, $900 is a lot to lose out on. If your a savvy Buyer, and have screwed the price down, you will evidently be doing the dealership a favour by cancelling the contract, as there is often more money in the cancellation fee than the profit in the deal itself.

If your dealer has given you a great price on an 09 plated vehicle that they have in stock, you are less likely to be able to get the same, or better deal at another dealer if its the last one in town with the same spec. eg Graphite KXR AWD are in short supply, so the dealer is within their right to charge whatever they want for the car... if you want it quickly. Other dealerships will have to factor in the shipping charges to get the car in from somehwere else.... and may have to swap a car that they may have had more of a chance to turn a buck on.

Theres no point in a dealer making a bad business decision to satisfy a one off thrifty customer.

Hi Dave,

It was definately a KX-R that we were quoted on. The $50K was based on the fact that our civic still has $22K owing on it and they were only giving us $12K so we had a shortfall of $10K to clear our current lease, which they were adding to the price of the new vehicle. So what they were doing was as follows:-

KX-R 2WD 5 seater = $40K

Shortfall on trade-in= $10K

Total = $50K

He also screwed us around by telling us that he was giving us an awesome deal because he was giving us a 2009 instead of the new 2010 model but when my husband called another dealer (a guy that he has dealt with through my Uncles company) he was told that all the dealers here only have 2009 stock, none of them have 2010's yet. So obviously he was jerking us around to get a sale!

We were supposed to meet with the first dealer this morning but I called him to tell him forget it because we weren't handing our car over for $12K to which he proceeded to tell me that he would be able to get me $15K or more for our Civic! I asked him why on Thursday he could only get a maximum of $12K and yet today, 2 days later he could get me several thousand or more extra and he told me because his head valuer was there today! That's not a good enough excuse for my liking! Obviously he saw us as 2 young idiots and thought we'd be an easy catch to make us sign on the dotted line to make his a quick and easy buck!

NOT HAPPY!!!! Is it really mandatory for car salesman to treat us like we are morons???!!! They might find that if they were upfront and honest that they'd sell more vehicles!

Guys,

There seems to be some confusion out there regarding the pricing of Klugers in 2010.

Please see this extract from this weeks GoAutoNews:

Jan 20, 2010 Page 17

SUBSCRIBE FREE: www.GoAutoMedia.com GoAuto News

It isn’t all good news

on the Toyota price front

Toyota prices yo-yo Toyota prices yo-yo

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS

TOYOTA has elected to drop the prices for

most of its imported cars, led by the popular

Yaris light car, Corolla small sedan, Kluger

medium SUV and Tarago people-mover.

Customers for the latter are in for the

biggest bonanza, with savings of between

$2160 and $2770.

The RAV4 range is up (between $300 and

$500), the LandCruiser 70 buyer is now $600

poorer than previously, and the LandCruiser

200 is $1000 further away, but the Kluger

has slid down to the tune of $500.Finally, the fare to enter into a HiAce

Commuter Bus is also $500 higher.

According to another article used car prices are expected to reduce as well:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...2-23272,00.html

Some of these are worth a good read:

http://www.negotiationtraining.com.au/arti...tiate-car-deal/

http://www.carbuyingguide.org.uk/car-buying-guide.php

http://www.carbroker.com.au/car-dealer-tri...ctics-scams.php

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_cont...-buying-tactics

Another tip is don't menton that you want to trade-in. When asked tell the dealer you intend to keep the car or give it to your children/parents/etc. Get them down to the lowest price on the new car, then 'change your mind' and negotiate a trade-in price for your vehicle. You'll have them locked in the new car price, and can then purely negotiate the trade-in value.

Theres no point in a dealer making a bad business decision to satisfy a one off thrifty customer.

Agree completely. However there is no point in the customer making a bad financial decision either. Always excercise the right to walk away before a contract is signed.

Dont forget to mention you do have to pay a penalty for cancelling the contract, its 2% of the total cost of the car, so if its a $45000 Kluger, $900 is a lot to lose out on. If your a savvy Buyer, and have screwed the price down, you will evidently be doing the dealership a favour by cancelling the contract, as there is often more money in the cancellation fee than the profit in the deal itself.

If there is only 2% profit in a car deal, then you should sack the salesperson :P Granted, the penalty will probably be more than a saving that could be made elsewhere.

Edited by Kesawi

If there is only 2% profit in a car deal, then you should sack the salesperson Granted, the penalty will probably be more than a saving that could be made elsewhere.

seriously, knowing how cars are priced... some of the deals on here in this thread defy belief.

they have either paid fleet and not disclosed the info here, or they have been priced up incorrectly.

i wont do a bad deal, and i turn customers away if i think it is. so yes... sales people that leave no money in cars, will eventually get shown the door.

• 3 weeks later...

Mamaklu:

How did you go with your KLuger price?

Did you get access to fleet pricing?

I am just about to buy using fleet, we just found out we are eligible for gold fleet pricing thru our newsagency as we are members of something called ANF.

There are different levels of fleet, so I have been told, from bronze to platinum(?). I found that fleet dealers or managers were always the people to talk to, they are used to doing high volume less markup, and are happy to explain fleet, which can be used from as little as one car. The new car dealers sometimes dont refer you to the fleet guys even if you ask about fleet pricing, they seem to think they can get you to purchase normally with a higher price with kudos to them.

If you are eligible for fleet, when you sign up for the car and submit the form for fleet to the dealer, they send the paperwork to the main Toyota company to obtain a set rebate from Toyota to the dealership, thus you can get the car for cheaper. (this is how I understand it) I also know that it is a different amount for each model of car, there is often a chart with all the rebates listed.

Edited by Tiffanyt

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I'm about to sign for a new Kluger KX-S AWD (jan-2010)with the following extras:

nudge bar

side steps

front & rear sensor parking

window tint

metallic paint

mudflaps front & rear

Rails & racks

price: ~ 55800 drive away.

sounds good?

hi guys got myne april 2010 build and complied 2010 kx-r awd 7 seat and paid $47.000 on road with mettalic paint and floor mats and fabric protection private buyer newcastle area cheers scott

Edited by scotts10kluger

Hi, new to this forum (great forum it is too).

Just bought 2010 silver Kluger Grande AWD $60K drive away. Is that a good price?

I couldn't help myself and added accessories: side-steps, nudge bar, front & rear sensors, tow bar kit, bonnet protect for another $4.3K. Grand total of $64.3K.

Expect delivery this Friday - can't wait to drive it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, new here. I spent a while negotiating a price for a 2010 build and complied 2wd 5 seat KXR. $38,000 driveaway, from what I gather and what I have been told it's a good price. Sydney. Anyone aware of June deals yet?

Edited by djsupersleuth

G'day all,

New to this forum and just purchased a 2010 April build 2wd Grande in silver.

Extras: front tinted windows, mats, side weather sheilds, head light and bonnet protectors, rear cargo mat, tow pack, side steps and a full tank of fuel.

Cost: $56900 drive away

This was from a victoria country dealer through a lease, i rang a couple of dealers in Melbourne and they told me that they could not match that price let alone beat it so i think i have got myself a pretty good deal.

I am so far very happy with it and love driving it. (looking at fitting some after market 20"wheels just to be a bit different)

Cheers all

G'day all,

Extras: front tinted windows, mats, side weather sheilds, head light and bonnet protectors, rear cargo mat, tow pack, side steps and a full tank of fuel.

This was from a victoria country dealer through a lease, i rang a couple of dealers in Melbourne and they told me that they could not match that price let alone beat it so i think i have got myself a pretty good deal.

I am so far very happy with it and love driving it. (looking at fitting some after market 20"wheels just to be a bit different)

Cheers all

novated lease? what was your INC Tax price?

G'day all,

Cheers all

novated lease? what was your INC Tax price?

That was associated lease, salary sac through my employer. Good way to do it every cost to do with the car eg: fuel,tyres,services,rego,insurance is included and all salary sacrificed. That was including tax, total price$56900

Edited by Dunks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

dad just got a 02/2010 Kluger KX-S FWD with floor mat, cargo mat, and metallic paint for 48.8K, any thought?

We are shopping around for prices (Sydney metro). $48.8K drive away sounds very good. We have been quoted $58,474 for the KX-S 7 seater drive away. Is your Dad's a 7 seater? If so, who was the dealer? Also quoted $50,000 drive away for Altitude 7 Seater 4WD metalic paint.

Can someone tell me what the difference in driving is between the 19in and 17in wheels? (I know the 19in look better....)

We are shopping around for prices (Sydney metro). $48.8K drive away sounds very good. We have been quoted $58,474 for the KX-S 7 seater drive away. Is your Dad's a 7 seater? If so, who was the dealer? Also quoted $50,000 drive away for Altitude 7 Seater 4WD metalic paint.

Can someone tell me what the difference in driving is between the 19in and 17in wheels? (I know the 19in look better....)

Not sure about differeces in driving, but there is a major difference in available alternatives to the OEM tyres. Have a read of the following:

replacement rubber for Kluger 19 inch wheels

245/55R19 Tyre needed Tyres

New Kluger Tyres

Basically 17" has more alternatives that are cheaper than for the 19".

dad just got a 02/2010 Kluger KX-S FWD with floor mat, cargo mat, and metallic paint for 48.8K, any thought?

$58,474 sounds like the price without any discounts what so ever. They can do a lot better than that.

Also, it's only the KX-R that comes in 5 and 7 seat options. The KX-S and Grande are both 7 seater only.

$48.8K is a very good price. Sounds close to fleet pricing. You can do much better than $58.474.