Dash Rattle

Hi All,

I am new into the world of Sportivo's and recently got an 04 Corolla Sportivo [s.A. Model]... there is a rattling noise coming from under the dash on the left hand side. Has anyone heard of this before? It rattles when i sit on constant revs.

Let me know

J

It's not just the stivo - I very occasionally get the same rattle you are describing in my 1ZZ. It only does this around 3000rpm from memory... Haven't heard it rattle in a long time now, which is strange. Anyone know what causes it?

yes the clutch is 1 place which can cause said rattle and there is the gear selector cables as well

changing my clutch from OEM to the TRD & Exedy HD got rid of that noise

the selector cables i simply dont hear anymore over my exhaust/engine lol

but when it was there toyota fitted 3 different sets of selector cables on my car with the last set moving the rattle to around 7K rpms which they were happy with becuz this was not "normal driving conditions" so they met their warranty obligations <_< <_< <_< <_<

Yeah i had the selector cables replaced at around 25,000 and the cars just passed 60,000 and i haven't had the noise yet.. I sometimes hear a rattle like every couple of weeks that sounds like the shifter cable rattle but it goes away really quickly

My noise was when i let off the pedal at around 3,000 RPM.

I didnt think it was that much of a big deal but one day mentioned it when in service.

It seems like a common problem, and they said they would replace the clutch kit because the pressure plate was getting jarred.

For me to drive for 20,000km and get a whole new clutch kit under warranty i was pretty pleased.

If your car is still under warranty take it to toyota and just ask them to have a look.

Be specific when trying to tell them when the noise happens so when they can take it for a drive they can try to imitate the driving conditions otherwise you will get the same old "We cant see anything wrong with it - If the noise stick's around come back and we will fix it"

:angry: The plot thickens :angry:

Hey all,

I took the car back to Toyota and they aren't interested in looking at it any more - although agreeing that there is a rattle. So i am stuck with a really badly rattling car and no-where to go.

Anyone know of a good toyota mechanic who might be able to help? [i'm in Perth BTW] I'm going nuts :help:

Yeah, my 04 stivo still has the gear selector rattle. I sort of got over it, but since it was brought UP AGAIN, lol, does anyone know how much it cost to replace the gear selectors?

:angry: The plot thickens :angry:

Hey all,

I took the car back to Toyota and they aren't interested in looking at it any more - although agreeing that there is a rattle. So i am stuck with a really badly rattling car and no-where to go.

Anyone know of a good toyota mechanic who might be able to help? [i'm in Perth BTW] I'm going nuts :help:

If you live south try Prossers Toyota in Canning Vale, excelent service there even if it does come at a premium. You might want to check if they will honour you warranty.

Edited by Seano

Hi Guys,

I've had my Sportivo for about a month now.

And it started making the noise in the last week or so.

It isn't driving me insane just yet. I tend to turn my music up anyway.

Besides making the rattling noise, does anyone know if damage is being done to any parts?

I have noticed though, that I some times I get a different rattling noise when I change from 2nd to 3rd.

Maybe one noise is the gear selector cables and the other is the pressure plate?

Good luck to those who are taking their cars back to try and get it sorted.

B)

Mine is an Ascent 07 and the dash board cover (on the passenger side where the airbag located at) keep making those rattling noise since it was delivered brand new. Reported and claimed to be fixed but not indeed. I notice slightly improvement after I have driven her for 6 months now but I could still hear that occasionally when the rpm fluctuates between 800-1000rpm at the traffic light. I was told that it may be the joint/edge of the new plastic parts that need to be "run-in". If the problem still exists, they told me to address it in the next service.

bump..i have started hearing the same sounds lately too..mostly in low gears and low revs ..espeically accelerating from standing start. really noticeable going up a hill :S so if i left this for a while...will it damage my car? wear it out quicker? expensive to replace?