What aren't you happy with in your new Kluger?

leighthebee

After reading all other posts here are my gripes:

- no mute for audio

- no memory in leather seats

- having to manually change bluetooth phone pairing

- having to manually enter 6 speed dials, no phonebook sync

- 19" wheels have limited replacement options = high cost

- volume up/down on steering wheel takes 1,097 clicks to actually move the sound in either direction. When a good song comes on the radio I want to press the button say 5 times and go from average background volume to "hey think I'll sing along" loud volume.

- volume knobs on the KX-S are chrome plated, what is with that? Did the designer deliberately place a slippery surface there so they could mock us all from their cushy swivel chair on the 53rd floor?

- why does the radio need to be turned up to 50 whereas the CD at that volume will blow out the windows and needs to be around 40?

As you can see most of my complaints are based around the audio system.... other than the above, it's perfect ;)

Hey whofan If you want to pay around 148k for an X5 to get all the memory seats and extras you could but believe me it still wouldn't be as smooth a ride as the new Kluger or as quiet. On recently test driving various SUVs for the price the Kluger faired very well and the X5s sound system couldn't go loud enough to drown out the engine noise. Now I know why there were so many second hand X5s on the market when I was looking. Now if you put the BMs styling together with Klugers handling and quietness threw in the memory seats you'd have a kick **** car

- no mute for audio

- volume up/down on steering wheel takes 1,097 clicks to actually move the sound in either direction. When a good song comes on the radio I want to press the button say 5 times and go from average background volume to "hey think I'll sing along" loud volume.

- volume knobs on the KX-S are chrome plated, what is with that? Did the designer deliberately place a slippery surface there so they could mock us all from their cushy swivel chair on the 53rd floor?

- why does the radio need to be turned up to 50 whereas the CD at that volume will blow out the windows and needs to be around 40?

As you can see most of my complaints are based around the audio system.... other than the above, it's perfect ;)

Hey whofan If you want to pay around 148k for an X5 to get all the memory seats and extras you could but believe me it still wouldn't be as smooth a ride as the new Kluger or as quiet. On recently test driving various SUVs for the price the Kluger faired very well and the X5s sound system couldn't go loud enough to drown out the engine noise. Now I know why there were so many second hand X5s on the market when I was looking. Now if you put the BMs styling together with Klugers handling and quietness threw in the memory seats you'd have a kick **** car

Like most other people posting message here I really love the Kluger, it's hard to get me out, every excuse for a drive.... however I do thirst for perfection and all I've noted above are those things preventing perfection....

You don't have to look too far to get electronic adjustable leather seats with memory, Mazda 6 comes to mind, yes I know it's not a SUV, also costs a lot less than $148K. Considering there are 8 different adjustments in the Kluger seat, whacking in a memory button (or two) is really only a short stretch.

So Ryoncer, in keeping with the message thread, what do you dislike with your new Kluger?

Now if you put the BMs styling together with Klugers handling and quietness threw in the memory seats you'd have a kick **** car

It's called Lexus RX350/RX400h/RX450. Take your pick.

Edited by tango

- no mute for audio

WHOFAN IN KEEPING WITH THE THREAD AS I POSTED A FEW DAYS AGO THE FACT THAT THE BLUETOOTH TECHNOLOGY BETWEEN MY KLUGER AND MY NOKIA MOBILE DON'T MATCH ( IE CAN'T TRANSFER DATA BETWEEN THE TWO ) I'M STILL WAITING TO SEE WHAT NOKIA ARE COMING BACK TO ME WITH.

• 2 weeks later...
getting up to 20,000k service,

Wow thats a lot of k's already....

Anyway where do we start weve only done around 7000ks, but no real problems. Its an AWD grande.

1. I dont like the handbrake or footbrake, but the XYL loves it.

2. Weve got a rattle that occasionally comes up in the dash.

3. Would have liked more storage in the back when all 3 rows of seats are up.

4. Would have liked a split 3rd row seat.

5. The navigation sat/nav cant be customised enough and cant be programmed when car is moving.

6. I think the sound system is pretty poor both in sound quality and control.

7. No memory in seats.

8. Need more road feel through the steering wheel, its too insulated from the bumbs on the road.

9. ABS is way too noisy and too much feedback to the pedal. ( for me anyway)

10. Would have liked a solid cargo cover instead of a blind, but then where would you store it.

11. Too many cup holders, especially the two in the centre console, I would have liked cleaner lines on that centre console.

12. No speed warning/ speedo is out/ and odometer resolution should be better.

13. Headlights dont seem concentrated enough, especially high beam on dark freeways.

14. I think the paint needs more coats, its seems a bit thin after the inside wheel arch was scratched when the kids draged their school bag over it.

15. I have a suspicion the plastics may also be easy to scratch after our centre console shows rub marks from a tissue box sitting there.

Theres a few there and Im sure ill think of more, but in the overall scheme theyre mostly minor own preference type of issues.

Certainly annoyed that in this top of the range model there is no speed alert with nothing even in the sat nav system. Pretty poor Toyota.

Also there is no ipod input but if I'd got a lesser model there would have been.' class="bbc_url">@Only had the Kluger Grande less than a week and pretty happy with it.

Certainly annoyed that in this top of the range model there is no speed alert with nothing even in the sat nav system. Pretty poor Toyota.

Also there is no ipod input but if I'd got a lesser model there would have been.

Only had the Kluger Grande less than a week and pretty happy with it.

Also there is no ipod input but if I'd got a lesser model there would have been.

• 7 months later...

No buzzer, or mine is faulty too :-)

They don't have a buzzer as the headlights have an auto off feature when you turn car off and remove the key.

Pity they don't have auto on headlights and wipers standard on car of this price still. Guess price to pay for toyota reputation and reliability.

cheers

Pros compared to VW it replaced:

Doen't have windscreen sensing wipers

Cons compared to VW it relaced:

It drives like a car, no more no less, no "WOW this is great to drive"

Eats fuel as well than an old V8 of 30 yrs ago.

Middle rear seat may as well of been made of wood or forgotten altogether & something innovative been installed.

Stereo/bluetooth would have been great on a V8 30 yrs ago.

Tyres for VW finally found for @$250, sounds like I'll be lucky to do this on a "Toyota?".

Dozens of tiny touches not noticed on a test drive that are still not included/approached /thought of that are not present compared to the 5yr old VW.

My mistake & I have to live with it, but it really is just a car. If it was cheap, then I would be ok. But it wasn't so it's not. If anyone asks me what I think on the street, I won't hesitate to tell them.

Middle rear seat may as well of been made of wood or forgotten altogether & something innovative been installed.

Tyres for VW finally found for @$250, sounds like I'll be lucky to do this on a "Toyota?".

Dozens of tiny touches not noticed on a test drive that are still not included/approached /thought of that are not present compared to the 5yr old VW.

My mistake & I have to live with it, but it really is just a car. If it was cheap, then I would be ok. But it wasn't so it's not. If anyone asks me what I think on the street, I won't hesitate to tell them.

Kluger is pretty cheap compared to $80,000 for a V6 Toureg :rolleyes:

I assume that is why you didn't go for another VW in the first place?

I agree that the Kluger is not perfect but to write it off because the replacement tyres are expensive, one of the 7 seats is small and the Stereo isn't great seems rather petty.

Quoted fuel economy for the Kluger (11.0) is considerably less than a V6 Toureg (13.6) let alone a 30 Year old V8, so that claim is just plain rubbish....

Kluger is pretty cheap compared to $80,000 for a V6 Toureg :rolleyes:

I assume that is why you didn't go for another VW in the first place?

I agree that the Kluger is not perfect but to write it off because the replacement tyres are expensive, one of the 7 seats is small and the Stereo isn't great seems rather petty.

Quoted fuel economy for the Kluger (11.0) is considerably less than a V6 Toureg (13.6) let alone a 30 Year old V8, so that claim is just plain rubbish....

Ha, my fault for not qualifying, but I was talking about a multivan aka kombi so you can assume and roll your eyes till they fall out.

It is a much better drive than the Kluger & in all the other respects I mentioned.

You **** me so much I will do it for you:

Quoted fuel economy is crap, but we'll go with it:

11/lt/100km=25mpg

Real usage of consistent 14/lt/100km=20mpg

Either way it doesn't equate to 30 years of progress & a motor that no mechanic can service/repair without a computer calling the shots.

Not saying the VW is any joy for a mechanic, but the l/100km or mpg comparison of 30 yrs still stands.

They should all be doing 5l/100 for all the crap under the bonnet & increased cost of maintenaince.

Edited by snark92

I too have a VW....T5 Crewvan, 1.9 TDI. Yes, its great on fuel economy. I average 6.5l/100km. But the service costs at VW are a killer. Whether my dealer was shafting me or not, but I have never had a service bill less than $500. Multiply that by another 2 VW's and an Audi in my stable......I wanted something cheaper to get serviced, with a bit of power to be able to tow a large trailer.

I too have a VW....T5 Crewvan, 1.9 TDI. Yes, its great on fuel economy. I average 6.5l/100km. But the service costs at VW are a killer. Whether my dealer was shafting me or not, but I have never had a service bill less than $500. Multiply that by another 2 VW's and an Audi in my stable......I wanted something cheaper to get serviced, with a bit of power to be able to tow a large trailer.

Granted for the sevice costs, but they appear to be a diesel thing- mates last triton service was $850.

Unfortunatly for me the Multivan towed better than the Kluger. 18'fibreglass runabout with 115 outboard.

But it doen't matter what it is we all find fault & it's only after you live with something for a while that the flaws show up.

Still see no mention of the 30 year old V8 with better enonomy than the Kluger amongst your rantings? Either way a Miltivan is a completely different vehicle to a Kluger - I can't imagine anyone expecting comparable fuel economy between a 1.9 TDI and a 200kw 3.5 V6.

Sure was a long list of faults and problems you had with your VW - it's surprising that you remember it so fondly :huh:

BTW - I consistently get 12 l/100km or better in my Kluger and a lot of others do as well.

Hi All,

Only time my economy goes above 13 l/100km is when just doing kid drop off and pick up and even then normally only gets up to max of 13.5l/100km. Most of the time economy is between 11 l/100km and 13 l/100km even when driven hard and this is suburban driving. When on trips it drops under 10 l/100km.

As for WOW factor, my Kluger can keep up with most cars when accelerating (except sportscars) and handles well enough to give me plenty of confidence on twisty roads. I have a KXR AWD.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

Regards,

Snowy68

Edited by Snowy68

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Only time my economy goes above 13 l/100km is when just doing kid drop off and pick up and even then normally only gets up to max of 13.5l/100km. Most of the time economy is between 11 l/100km and 13 l/100km even when driven hard and this is suburban driving. When on trips it drops under 10 l/100km.

As for WOW factor, my Kluger can keep up with most cars when accelerating (except sportscars) and handles well enough to give me plenty of confidence on twisty roads. I have a KXR AWD.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

Regards,

Snowy68

Oh well, guess I got a dud.

Matty, when you learn to read I will reply.

Edited by snark92

I recently did trip Melb to Sydney towing a rental tandem car trailer with an old Kombi on the trailer. The first 1/3 of the trip I was getting 22l/100km. Then a tyre blew out on the trailer. After changing the tyre, I pulled into the next servo to check all the trailers tyre pressures. I had 45 psi on the left side of the trailer, and 15 psi on the right side. So I pumped the right side upto 45 psi. I then got 16l/100 for the rest of the trip to Sydney, and the same on the return run with another Kombi on the back until Wangaratta. From there I had an empty trailer, and I was getting 12.5l/100km.

It pays to check tyre pressures. I didn't realize it would make that much of a difference.