What aren't you happy with in your new Kluger?

leighthebee

Not too much to complain about getting up to 20,000k service, except that the SRS Airbags in the A Frame squeek on both sides. It's usually when hitting small road bumps that it happens then it quietens down. Not a huge concern as the old mans new Cruiser does the exact same thing. Its just that the insides of modern cars are so quiet that any noise is noticeable.

Also, as good as the transmission is, I find that it changes down unecessarily at low speeds. For example, going over speed bumps in the 10/20kmh range, it will change back and engine brake even though I am accelerating. Surely the Kluger is not that low on torque.

getting up to 20,000k service,

Wow thats a lot of k's already....

Anyway where do we start weve only done around 7000ks, but no real problems. Its an AWD grande.

1. I dont like the handbrake or footbrake, but the XYL loves it.

2. Weve got a rattle that occasionally comes up in the dash.

3. Would have liked more storage in the back when all 3 rows of seats are up.

4. Would have liked a split 3rd row seat.

5. The navigation sat/nav cant be customised enough and cant be programmed when car is moving.

6. I think the sound system is pretty poor both in sound quality and control.

7. No memory in seats.

8. Need more road feel through the steering wheel, its too insulated from the bumbs on the road.

9. ABS is way too noisy and too much feedback to the pedal. ( for me anyway)

10. Would have liked a solid cargo cover instead of a blind, but then where would you store it.

11. Too many cup holders, especially the two in the centre console, I would have liked cleaner lines on that centre console.

12. No speed warning/ speedo is out/ and odometer resolution should be better.

13. Headlights dont seem concentrated enough, especially high beam on dark freeways.

14. I think the paint needs more coats, its seems a bit thin after the inside wheel arch was scratched when the kids draged their school bag over it.

15. I have a suspicion the plastics may also be easy to scratch after our centre console shows rub marks from a tissue box sitting there.

Theres a few there and Im sure ill think of more, but in the overall scheme theyre mostly minor own preference type of issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Not too much to complain about getting up to 20,000k service, except that the SRS Airbags in the A Frame squeek on both sides. It's usually when hitting small road bumps that it happens then it quietens down. Not a huge concern as the old mans new Cruiser does the exact same thing. Its just that the insides of modern cars are so quiet that any noise is noticeable.

arh... normally no one will notice it, but as soon as someone mention about a particular defect.. then you will try to look for it and it will not go away.. lol :huh:

Yes, after reading this and I start to noticing my Kluger's driving wheel or somewhere there has a rattle/squeek noice.. It will only happen on down-hill and bumpy roads.. lol.. Will try to ask the dealer to check it out on next service.. :angry:

getting up to 20,000k service,

Wow thats a lot of k's already....

Anyway where do we start we've only done around 7000ks, but no real problems. Its an AWD grande.

1. I don't like the handbrake or foot brake, but the XYL loves it.

2. We've got a rattle that occasionally comes up in the dash.

3. Would have liked more storage in the back when all 3 rows of seats are up.

4. Would have liked a split 3rd row seat.

5. The navigation sat/nav cant be customized enough and cant be programmed when car is moving.

6. I think the sound system is pretty poor both in sound quality and control.

7. No memory in seats.

8. Need more road feel through the steering wheel, its too insulated from the bumps on the road.

9. ABS is way too noisy and too much feedback to the pedal. ( for me anyway)

10. Would have liked a solid cargo cover instead of a blind, but then where would you store it.

11. Too many cup holders, especially the two in the centre console, I would have liked cleaner lines on that centre console.

12. No speed warning/ speedo is out/ and odometer resolution should be better.

13. Headlights don't seem concentrated enough, especially high beam on dark freeways.

14. I think the paint needs more coats, its seems a bit thin after the inside wheel arch was scratched when the kids dragged their school bag over it.

15. I have a suspicion the plastics may also be easy to scratch after our centre console shows rub marks from a tissue box sitting there.

Theres a few there and I'm sure ill think of more, but in the overall scheme they're mostly minor own preference type of issues.

You bought the wrong car mate!

Now do the big positives

We have the same car and love it, nothings perfect

Edited by PC XT

1. Seat memory - There is a 30cm difference in height between my wife and I. Although, without mirrors and steering wheel included, it would only be half usefull.

2. Satnav and stereo functions disabled when moving - Makes sense for safety, but as there is a sensor in the front passenger seat to activate a seatbelt warning light, the functions should be enabled if you have a front seat passenger.

3. Cleaning - It's quite large, I need a stepladder to clean the roof and there are too many small sections of carpet inside that collect dirt and you need to keep changing attachments to get to all of them. But the wheels are the best I've ever had for cleaning; you can get your whole hand inside the spokes.

4. Cruise control - Not as responsive as other Toyotas I have had.

5. Grey/silver climate and steering controls - The black buttons around the satnav look so good that I would have preferred the other buttons to be the same.

I new about the points above before buying the car and they didn't stop me. There are so many good points when compared to the competition that I only had 1 choice of car to buy.

Mabye a topic is needed on what people "are" happy with in their new Kluger, but it could get a bit long.

Some points up there I agree.

But one thing I really need to solve is: The lean!

If I lived in Sydney I will go to Whiteline and get the anti roll bar modified. Then suspension, too. There are ways to be it as soft and still cutting out the lean of the car while cornering.

Check whiteline website - nothing for the Kluger. So what's the point of being in Sydney? :)

If I lived in Sydney I will go to Whiteline and get the anti roll bar modified. Then suspension, too. There are ways to be it as soft and still cutting out the lean of the car while cornering.

Even with the 19" on Grande?

Mate, I thought u said the Kluger was solid? :(

I am surprised that there's something in Kluger's ride that seems to be better than Territory. I'm being sracastic here but - and there's no intention to start a war here but - reading AU car reviews I developed an impression that Territory's ride is supreme and very few / if any cars in the category of family SUV (including - according to reviewers - much more expensive eruopean models) can compete with Ford Territory there.

Just search for "Ford’s terrific Territory". Any other car in that category gets so many "terrific" epithets?

So perhaps Kluger's ride is not so bad after all?

Please note that is my impression from reading various reviews - no intent to start a Kluger v Territory thread!

I actually quite like the ride on the Kluger. There's a little bit of body roll there, but it isn't nearly as bad as the Territory, and what can you expect for a car with such a high centre of gravity?

I am surprised that there's something in Kluger's ride that seems to be better than Territory. I'm being sracastic here but - and there's no intention to start a war here but - reading AU car reviews I developed an impression that Territory's ride is supreme and very few / if any cars in the category of family SUV (including - according to reviewers - much more expensive eruopean models) can compete with Ford Territory there.

The Australian motoring press has had a long standing love affair with the Territory and heaven forbid anyone that says a bad word about it. On the other hand, say a bad thing about the Falcon and you'll find them cheering for you from the rooftops and shouting "Go the Commodore". I mean, how can anyone take the Aussie motoring journalists seriously when they try and convince us that the VE Commodore is a better car than a 5 series Beemer?

Personally, I find that the territory is a bit too soft and squishy for my liking, perfect for most of the lard ****d people that buy them I suppose.

The Kluger could certainly have some improvements made - I'd like to see the front end tightened up a little and have some of the lack of feel through the wheel sorted out - but give me the Kluger suspension and body roll any day over the Ford.

I for one am not in the slightest bit interested in buying a car based on reviews. The only way to buy a car is to find one or two that tick all the boxes, drive them, speak to other owners, then buy the one you like the most.

• Like 1

Further to my above post, there is also the odd review around that says stuff like:

"On the road, handling and steering are both within the bounds of what you'd expect from a 'family' vehicle. Overall, the Kluger combines decent vehicle dynamics with a well tuned ride. For bump absorption and cornering, the Kluger takes the battle up to Ford's Territory. "

Edited by aardvark

The Australian motoring press has had a long standing love affair with the Territory and heaven forbid anyone that says a bad word about it.

I though that might be the case but I was/am not technical (car wise) enough to judge by myself. So it is interesting that you make the same observation. I'm interested not in Territory now - after all my Kluger has arrived to the dealership and undergoging option instllation this week so I made my choice - but in that "love affair" that makes me uncomfortable. Further to this below.

I for one am not in the slightest bit interested in buying a car based on reviews.

That is my point - I'd love to have reviews I can trust - be it Ford, Toyota or Porsche.

Apologies for stealing the "What aren't you happy with in your new Kluger" topic - guess I'll find out soon :D.

In a mean time - what seems to be an undeserved bad press!

I dont mind a review based on fact. One reviewer gave a thumbs down to the foot-brake cause he didnt like it. Thats personal choice - I happen to love the foot-brake (after I got used to it), Im glad to have the centre console free of clutter.

I dont mind a review based on fact. One reviewer gave a thumbs down to the foot-brake cause he didnt like it. Thats personal choice - I happen to love the foot-brake (after I got used to it), Im glad to have the centre console free of clutter.

You found another thing I didnt like.

I would prefer a normal handbrake, but not a finger guillotine as in VE Commodore, or an electric park brake.

It is not a sports car but it at least should feel better than a Volvo??!?!?

It is quite noticeable and so much so that there is not enough grip from the rear outer tyre when cornering. Hey I just realize it myself recently. A simple clever sway bar change will do it.... (I hope not spoiling the off road ability at the same time).

For me:

1. The front seat slide adjustment is too slow. The joys of elecrtric seats. I need to adjust a fair way from where the wife has it.

2. The steering wheel is thin. I liked the CX-7's more being slightly chunkier.

3. There isn't much room behind the third row seats when up, but at least the second row can slide forward if needed.

4. Poxy middle second row seat. Our kids prefer to leave the tray in place. At least I won't be sitting in it anyway! We use the third row instead if needed and it's fine for the kid's friends if the third row is full.

5. There is a little torque steer on tight take-offs. Bit strange having a FWD car again.

I can certainly live with these small nit-picks, and I had to think about them to put the list together. I've embarrassed a few Falcodores and other SUV's at the traffic lights too. Not that I condone hooning... :whistling:

And the WAF is very good so the above nit-picks are null & void! :yahoo:

It is not a sports car but it at least should feel better than a Volvo??!?!?

It is quite noticeable and so much so that there is not enough grip from the rear outer tyre when cornering. Hey I just realize it myself recently. A simple clever sway bar change will do it.... (I hope not spoiling the off road ability at the same time).

That was the first mod to the XT, the rear heavy duty sway bar from Whiteline, nearly every one does it on the the Forester's as a first mod its recommended.

Check whiteline website - nothing for the Kluger. So what's the point of being in Sydney? :)

When I owned the RX-8, I was contacted by Whiteline personally to see if I can be in the R&D for the sway bar kit, and have a free one fitted as return.

If I were in Sydney, I will bring my Kluger and see what they can do with it.

At least so far it seems all the things we dont like, are in the overall scheme of things, minor and a lot are personal taste.

A lot of the things I dont like about ours I knew before we made the purchase, and they still didnt put us off buying one because overall as far as we were concerned it was the best option for us.

As far as body roll goes, I cant say Ive pushed ours enough to feel a lot of roll, so as far as Im concerned its quite adequate for a 2tonne car. Youve got to remember what you have - its a 2000kg FWD/AWD/RWD, whatever, vehicle that will not respond like a lowered sports car. If you go stiffening up the suspension you might start to feel too confident and get yourself into a lot of trouble going around a corner.

I laugh with horror when I see some people in their big 4WD's zooming around, speeding and generally driving like a regular 1200kg sedan, theyre a danger to everyone on the road and really shouldnt have a license because they are total twits, unfortunately I think they actually believe they have superior driving skills.

Anyway the new generation of these so called soft roaders are very good and have dynamics closer to a normal car and probably better than many cars on the road but no matter you are always going to have to put up a fight against Newtons laws of gravity.

Small problem I'm not happy with.

I get a new Toyota, with the new vehicle warranty. The only problem with the warranty is it starts ticking away from the date recorded on the reg. sticker.

That is, the date when the dealer recorded the vehicle with the police etc. Not the date I get the car from the dealer over a week later and abit later.

Is this a one off or a common thing for dealers to do? True its only a small difference, but add this up over a large number of vehicle and there could be a big saving made by Toyota.