Accessories advice

Scott_C

Hi Guys, looking to get some accessories for my KXR, but some of them, being Toyota are hellishly expensive. $900 for a towbar for example? :blink: I hear that the towbars are made by Hayman-Reece for Toyota anyway. :angry:

So. my question is, which of the following accessories might I be able to get elsewhere, that will save me money? Or more importantly, has anyone done this themselves? (bought their own tow bar for example)

- nudge bar

- side steps

- tow bar

- CD radio with bluetooth

I like these side steps, and they're around half the price of the Toyota ones; http://www.kingsleyenterprises.com.au/blade_pics/Kluger.jpg (have to check if they fit the new model)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like those side steps should work. The website says:

"Toyota Kluger *(Including New Model) "

How much are they??

The wife and I are looking at some way of stopping the doors from getting dents in them in shopping centre car parks. The Toyota side steps don't stick out enough. If these ones are cheap enough, and stick out enough, they might be an option!

Other side skirts:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Toyota-Kluger-2...1QQcmdZViewItem

Again, these ones dont stick out enough to protect the doors.

After market nudgebar:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Toyota-Kluger-2...1QQcmdZViewItem

As for the towbar, you should be able to get one from Toyota for around $750 installed.

Thanks for the reply Aardvark, unfortunately the links dont seem to be working?

The picture i showed of the BLaderunner side steps are $530 (there are cheaper models from the same manufacturer) - I think they even had an offer to fit them for free. http://www.kingsleyenterprises.com.au/blade_runner.php

Im getting side steps for when my kids are a little older. Help them get in and out of the vehicle. My brother-in-law has the older model (therefore smaller) Kluger and his kids (5 and 7) use the side steps all the time.

Thats not a bad price for a towbar, they are a real pain to install. Just keep in mind that if you buy and fit genuine Toyota accessories from new, they are covered by the new vehicle warranty....ie 3 years 100,000km.

Also, genuine Toyota accessories purchased and fitted to any Toyota through a dealer are warranted for the remainder of the new vehicle warranty, ie if your car is 12 months old and you fit genuine side steps, they are covered for the next 2 years until your warranty expires.

I was going to get the Toyota 6 stacker CD player with Bluetooth, (around $1000) now Im considering aftermarket;

http://www.ryda.com.au/JVC-KW-XG706-Car-CD...r-p/kwxg706.htm - this JVC unit is $339! Seems to have more bluetooth functions anyway.

how would that fit in the current slot you reckon

i hate the green colour of the standard stereo against the blue of the small screen clash.

@elmoticus - thats a good point about the warranty of a genuine Toyota part. I would at least be covered by a manufacturers warranty if I bought an aftermarket part (JVC car stereo for example) but Im sure it wouldnt last for 2 or 3 years :)

@leighthebee - Any double din size car stereo should fit just fine, thats the size of most Toyota stereo's anyway. This unit is supposed to be amazing; Pioneer GPS, stereo, bluetooth etc; http://www.pioneer.com.au/products/car_ent.../avic/avic_hd3/ A bit pricey at over $3,000 though. (Ryda do them for $3100)

@aardvark - thats why I think Im going to get the Bladerunner steps, they're more like a classic running board, rather than a 'step tube' - one minor point though; with running boards that stick out like that, my sister-in-law is short, and she complains that they dig into her shins when she is buckling her kids into the baby seats. Just a thought.

sister-in-law is short, and she complains that they dig into her shins when she is buckling her kids into the baby seats. Just a thought.

That's ok. No one in my family (except the kids) is under about 5'10", and most of us are 6 foot plus. Shouldn't be a big drama. :)

Scott love the Kingston sidesteps... which one are you thinking and can you get the model number for it. I am struggling to find it, perhaps I should go to a local dealer...

Thanks for your help

Cheers

EDIT: Bladerunner does look very nice. Decision decision

Edited by Taka

Hi Taka, here's a store locator for the Bushranger steps; http://bushranger.findnearest.com.au/ - I plan to at least go and see some before I decide whether to buy the Toyota steps or these ones. Oh, and the name of the model as far as I know is Bladerunner. I think you simply tell them what model of car you have.

Mrbishi - thats a good point about the airbags, Ill find out.

Cheers,

Scott.

I just spoke with my local Bushranger dealer.

He tells me that the side steps are approved for use with the airbags, and that the steps are about 150mm wide. I think I'm going to have to wait and see if they look ok, because 150mm is a long way for them to stick out!

He tells me that the side steps are approved for use with the airbags, and that the steps are about 150mm wide. I think I'm going to have to wait and see if they look ok, because 150mm is a long way for them to stick out!

Mmmmm it does means stick out a lot. 15cm (i am good measuring thing with my mind)....

It may look odd without the nudge bar as it will nearly look like a set of wings in the car.!

Mmmmm it does means stick out a lot. 15cm (i am good measuring thing with my mind)....

It may look odd without the nudge bar as it will nearly look like a set of wings in the car.!

Does that mean that Aardvark will now be known as Dumbo or maybe even "wingnut" :D :D :D

Actually, I dont think 15cm is much (just looking at a ruler here) - the steps are down low and 15cm is just enough to put your foot on really.

I have a feeling the Toyota step tubes are a good 13 or 14cm in width.

Im off to look at the Bladerunner steps tomorrow.

As the person who started this thread, I just Id report on what I plan to buy from Toyota, and what Im sourcing elsewhere;

Nudge Bar - Toyota; I know its air bag friendly, and it comes up high enough for the driver to see. (unlike many aftermarket bars ive seen)

Side Steps - Probably going with the Bladerunners. They look (in my humble opinion) better than the Toyota step tubes and are roughly 20% - 30% cheaper

Car stereo with Bluetooth - Going aftermarket here, there's cheaper stereo's with better bluetooth functionality for half of Toyota's price. Stereo's have their own manufacturers warranty.

Reverse Sensors - Toyota here, not sure I trust going with a third party for these.

Tow Bar - probably will go with Hayman Reece, Ive heard (unconfirmed) that they make Toyota tow bars anyway.

Update:

I priced a Hayman-Reece tow bar today, the dealer confirmed that they do in fact make the tow bars for Toyota Australia. Price quoted for the whole assembly, including wiring harness, fitting and lifetime warranty - $493

I may even find it cheaper, thats the first Hayman-reece dealer Ive been to.

Went and saw the Bladerunner and Integra side steps; they're really nice, but are not polished chrome like the Toyota ones. was quoted the following on an 08 Kluger;

Integra Steps:

$565

$120 fitting

------------

$685 total

------------

Bladerunner Steps:

$700

$120 fitting

------------

$820 total

------------

I reminded the dealer that Bushranger (the supplier) have an offer of free fitting at the moment, he said if thats the case, they'll honour the offer.

I suspect better prices can be found if I shop around, these are from local dealers here on the Coast. (just over an hour north of Sydney) The Coast is not renowned for being price competitive. :rolleyes:

I could drive 30 mins into the Sydney outskirts and likely get a better deal.

Thats it so far! It does show, you dont HAVE to go Toyota genuine for everything.

Cheers,

Scott.

Thanks Scott. What's the difference between the Bladerunner steps and the Integras?

Hi Aardvark, the pictures arent very big, but you can see them here; http://www.4x4store.com.au/Side-Steps-Bars-c-14743.html

The Integra's seem to have grooves in them, the Bladerunners are smooth and appear to have more of a brushed aluminium look.

Just an update, I found another 4WD store doing the Bladerunner sidesteps for $638 - 08 Kluger.

Since i put a deposit on the steps before the end of February, I get free fitting for them (even though my vehicle is 8 weeks away!)

Just thought Id post these things as it might help someone else in their searches for Kluger accessories.

Cheers,

Scott.

• 4 weeks later...