hypothetically... if you had your own lil airplane

JJCRU23R

ok heres the thing ive been wondering.

hypothetically, if you had the means to own your own small plane (such as a sessna) and you wanted to fly to a relatively close neighbouring country, could you just jump in the pilots seat and fly off? what about customs, quarentine etc? what rules, regulations, fees involved?

example of flights - sydney to new zealand or darwin to philippines?

always wondered this... alternatives to the regular commercial airlines

Reverse scenario here:

You're a rather nice indonesian chappy. You'd like to see your friends in Darwin so you hop in your Cessna.

About 3/4 of the way there you see two FA18's constantly buzzing you and telling you to GTFO lol.

I know you have to submit a flight plan for a start. Obviously it has to be approved. Drug traffickers used to use light aircraft (not internationally tho), and could fly from one private property to the next as long as they submit a flight plan. No customs involvement. Well that used to be the case. From farm to farm was the best front for this purpose.

Don't ask me how i know this...

I know you have to submit a flight plan for a start. Obviously it has to be approved. Drug traffickers used to use light aircraft (not internationally tho), and could fly from one private property to the next as long as they submit a flight plan. No customs involvement. Well that used to be the case. From farm to farm was the best front for this purpose.

Don't ask me how i know this...

*cough* how much r u sellin :P

ok heres the thing ive been wondering.

hypothetically, if you had the means to own your own small plane (such as a sessna) and you wanted to fly to a relatively close neighbouring country, could you just jump in the pilots seat and fly off? what about customs, quarentine etc? what rules, regulations, fees involved?

example of flights - sydney to new zealand or darwin to philippines?

always wondered this... alternatives to the regular commercial airlines

Australia to New Zealand? Darwin to Philippines?? Small flights?? You must be joking... I've never done Darwin to Philippines, but, looking at the map, it would appear to be same distance as AUS to NZ... which is incidentally the same distance as Sydney to Perth. This distance is approx 5000 kms each way... which takes a 737 roughly 5 hours, each way.

In a Cessna? Not going to happen, matey... :whistling:

And Rob is completely right... as soon as you get into airspace of the neighbouring country, you will be forced out or taken out. Even if you had a plane that would take you the distance, you need the respective government approval. Iron Maiden get through, because they will generate lots of money. You, however, won't... so you will be told to purchase a ticket on Qantas like the rest of us...

I hope your kidding with the 5 hours to NZ thing

Look on the map... Syd to Perth and Syd to NZ are roughly the same distance... I have done the perth voyage more than a few times now. 5 hours. Unless there is a wind that that blows you to NZ in hurry, I can only assume that the same distance takes the same time in the same commercial aircraft...

it's 4 hours Sydney to Auckland.

lol... ok, 4 hrs then. Actually that makes sense...cos flying east over Australia is quicker than flying west, believe it or not. Something to do with winds and rotation of the earth. I bet it takes 5 Auckland to Sydney...That's just nitpicking, though :D

Either way, I still doubt you are going to make it in your Cessna...

Edited by Leroy

interesting comments...

always wondered coz by air, when we visit my relatives @ Mindanao in the philippines, which is the big island on the bottom of philippines, we HAVE to fly up to manila, then fly south towards sydney via melbourne and it takes roughly upto around 2 hours to fly over mindanao to the northern territory. usually on the flight, they show the GPS position of the plane so you can see the map, speed, outside temp, est. time of arrival etc if they arent showing a movie...

anyhoo thats where i got this whole hypothetical from.

it's 4 hours Sydney to Auckland.

lol... ok, 4 hrs then. Actually that makes sense...cos flying east over Australia is quicker than flying west, believe it or not. Something to do with winds and rotation of the earth. I bet it takes 5 Auckland to Sydney...That's just nitpicking, though :D

Either way, I still doubt you are going to make it in your Cessna...

Ok... Sorry to break this to u both, but i'm sitting here looking at my booked tickets to NZ.... hopefully thats accurate.

Sydney - Christchurch = 2 hrs 55m

Auckland - Sydney = 3 hrs 20 m

Ok... Sorry to break this to u both, but i'm sitting here looking at my booked tickets to NZ.... hopefully thats accurate.

And what sort of plane are you flying on??

Seriously, it is not unreasonable to assume that the same distance should take the same time... the only thing I can think of that would explain the discrepancy in speed is perhaps there is some form of native wind over the tasman sea??

Anyone wanna field this one?

Edited by Leroy

must be a boeing 767-400 or a 747 (or something of similar size) to cover that distance in that time...

a 'lil airplane would take much longer, one would think.

sorry leroy, i should have mentioned that i assumed your times were based around flying in a 767 or similar. Type of plane definately affects this. I have no idea of the distance between the 2, but i though perth was further.

Btw the times i quoted are in an air nz airbus.

interesting comments...

always wondered coz by air, when we visit my relatives @ Mindanao in the philippines, which is the big island on the bottom of philippines, we HAVE to fly up to manila, then fly south towards sydney via melbourne and it takes roughly upto around 2 hours to fly over mindanao to the northern territory. usually on the flight, they show the GPS position of the plane so you can see the map, speed, outside temp, est. time of arrival etc if they arent showing a movie...

anyhoo thats where i got this whole hypothetical from.

Oh dude, I try to avoid anythign to do with landing in Manilla. I'd rather jsut stop over at some other country in Asia then fly from there to Cebu. The from there, I boat it - and pray.

must be a boeing 767-400 or a 747 (or something of similar size) to cover that distance in that time...

a 'lil airplane would take much longer, one would think.

3-4-5 hours.. you wont make it on the news. but if you decide to kayak it, it will only take you a 62 days and front page for a day.

ah, dude...airbus, that changes everything!!

That would make the perth trip approx the same time - using a much more powerful, and brand new aircraft!!

I was basing my times on the everyday 737 for domestic, and 747 for international flights.... (which both do roughly 1000kmh for the most part of the journey)

Mystery solved!!!