Do I or Don't I ??

DavoP

We have had a our ZR6 for four weeks now and our 19" wheels for three. I often stand and just look at the car and think ... damn I'm pleased with our purchase. We got a price from Pedders to lower it as I thought that's what I wanted, 600 odd bucks, btw they only do one lowering option, and my thoughts went back to the VY-S we had that use to rub while driving hard and the odd front in park that also knocks the front spoiler around a bit. Not that you could see the scratches as they were underneath but I knew they were there. I enjoy driving ... I mean really enjoy driving ... hard cornering on windy roads. I wouldn't consider myself a mug lair but simply a driver that enjoys what the Aurion has to offer :rolleyes: I have been on this forum for a little while and have red a fer posts from different users about lowering. I understand the dynamics of it all and also want my car to look as good as it can ... lets face it we all like our rides to turn the odd eye or two. My question here ppl is:- Is there any repercussions from doing as I want? IE 245/35ZR19 on a 19x8 is a pretty big combo on a mid size car like the Aurion ... YES plenty of clearance at it's current stock height ... is it going to rub on the inner guards when lowered? Am I going to have problems with speed humps? And the nose into gutters ... is the word $hit going to be said as I scrape the underside. From memory the guy at Pedders said it would drop it by approx. 35-40mm. Maybe someone has used Pedders to lower there Aurion by this amount and can talk me into to doing what I think I really want to do :blink: Thanks in advance for the input ppl. I enjoy reading what others have done and some of the delima's others are having.

Edited by DavoP

ive lowered mine with pedders.

obviously the rolling diameter is the same as the original tyre wheel combo?

I got 18's with 40 profile tyres from memory and they dont rub when i turn or encounter the normal road bumps and turns etc ive got a towbar fitted as well to tow my quad bike and i did bout 2600kms with it and a heap of gear in the boot and on the back seat (she was chokas) and i had to hit some pretty extreme bumps at 120kmh to make the back end scrap in the guards but under normal conditions alls good.

As far as speed humps go like any lowered car take them as u see them if u think u need to go on an angle do it to be safe i spose but the majority of the ones i come across in darwin are good to hit straight on

I did come across one thing and thats when i went to take it over the rta here in nt (we gotta do it every time regos due) the front wouldnt clear their height rails on top of their service pit by about 15mm i fixed that pretty quick though went straight to the servo put 50 ponds in the front tyres and drop 10 outa the backs ( they clear good) result was it clear it by about 10mm so no defect notice LOL so i just do this everytime it goes over and alls good

but overall id do it again but wouldnt go any lower and it feels really good to sit in to

I assume u bought Aurion and changed ur wheels to 19" b'coz U like it good as from its appearance..

However, If u think that lowerin ur car would reduce ur comfy..then 'No' is ur anwer.

I myself gonna use a 20" and will definitely lower it to the point im still comfortable with.

Go slow on speed humps...and be more careful whenever u park... There's no such thing as normal comfy when u lower ur car.

Put like a 'not so thick' [but not the thin one] <-- Sorry.."Dunno the name for it" black tape on ur underside to prevent the scratch.. Work it neatly so that it's not visible from sides..

My reply to this would be a YES, Lower it..for ur car's sake.. :whistling:

I had mine lowered with Pedders springs. I had sports Ryder springs installed.

The drop was way more than 40mm. At was around 55mm. I had no problems with wheel clearance. (running 18x 8.5 rim).

I did have however a problem with ground clearance. The front would scrape everywhere and some times the chassis rails would also scrape (over speed bumps and durved driveways). It started to bug me.

I have a client who manufactures springs. He offered to remove my springs and reset them to a new height.

I had him raise the front by 25mm and the back by 15mm. Height is perfect now. Ends up being 40mm lower than standard at the front. Looks great, handles great, and the extra height has smoothed out the ride a little.

Not sure what Pedders will do with your car though.

Edited by DKzr6

Im abit reserved about lowering, my 19*8.5's on 245 tyre i will have fitted look to be right on the mark as far as going wider than the guards... Doesnt look like they will sit nicely in the guards when lowered... This is the only thing holding me back..

When you lower your car you will have a natural negative camber effect so the tyres will snug in a bit.

Im on 20's and should be ok for 30-40mm lowering,

Also remember using lowerered springs (designated for the car) usually are stiffer so, yes your comfort will go, but in the process you wouldnt go as deep on bumps as your normal springs would do.

Also know that your suspension is more likely to leak after awhile because of the more jolted movement, if you are willing to go for a suspension kit then thats a better yet more costly alternative.

@V8toy

Thanks for the reply m8. As to the rolling circumference that was one of my main concerns when I bought the wheel tyre combination. Was told I would have a slight decrease in speedo reading with a slightly different rolling circumference. That I can live with. As I mentioned the only concern was bottoming out. Mind you it's not like I'm dropping it on it ar$e completely. Apart from looking better ... performance is a big PLUS

@VF-X

Cheers mate and thanks for the info. I did ask the guys at Pedders if the spring diameter was greater, thinking how the ride would be, and they tell me there is only .5 - 1mm difference in the diameter. So I guess it'd off to Pedders I go.

@DKzr6

Like your car m8 ... looks real nice you have done a good on it. I had looked at it a few times and did notice it was pretty low. Kinda thought your wheel diameter might have been 19 or even 20 for some reason ... maybe cause it's low and the wheels appears to fill the guard area. Lucky you having a client in the suspension area. Chassis rails over some bumps ouch. Thanks for the input

@AcoustiK

How u doin ... thanks for the input. Not too sure about the leak you mention. I do understand your thoughts on the slight comfort in ride cnage but with the .5 - 1mm change in thickness I'm not thinking it's going to make that much difference. I did, understandably as I knew I would, notice the change going from the lil razors I had on to the 19's and a much bigger foot print. All in all though I'm more than happy with the out come so far.

Still just a little skeptical about dropping it ... I probably will ... I think :blink: LOL

Edited by DavoP

@V8toy

Thanks for the reply m8. As to the rolling circumference that was one of my main concerns when I bought the wheel tyre combination. Was told I would have a slight decrease in speedo reading with a slightly different rolling circumference. That I can live with. As I mentioned the only concern was bottoming out. Mind you it's not like I'm dropping it on it ar$e completely. Apart from looking better ... performance is a big PLUS

@VF-X

Cheers mate and thanks for the info. I did ask the guys at Pedders if the spring diameter was greater, thinking how the ride would be, and they tell me there is only .5 - 1mm difference in the diameter. So I guess it'd off to Pedders I go.

@DKzr6

Like your car m8 ... looks real nice you have done a good on it. I had looked at it a few times and did notice it was pretty low. Kinda thought your wheel diameter might have been 19 or even 20 for some reason ... maybe cause it's low and the wheels appears to fill the guard area. Lucky you having a client in the suspension area. Chassis rails over some bumps ouch. Thanks for the input

@AcoustiK

How u doin ... thanks for the input. Not too sure about the leak you mention. I do understand your thoughts on the slight comfort in ride cnage but with the .5 - 1mm change in thickness I'm not thinking it's going to make that much difference. I did, understandably as I knew I would, notice the change going from the lil razors I had on to the 19's and a much bigger foot print. All in all though I'm more than happy with the out come so far.

Still just a little skeptical about dropping it ... I probably will ... I think :blink: LOL

Oh man... no thanks for the input from me :P just kiddin,

It's really good to hear everyones opinion on this but at the end of the day the more you hear the more you become "little skeptical about dropping it ..." rubbing, and tyre sizes the list will go on and on about how they scrape over speed bumps. If and when you do go for a drop like pedders tell them that you want no rubbing or scraping... if they can't do it then go to another store.

@V8toy

@VF-X

@DKzr6

@AcoustiK

Yeah good mate, .5-1mm thickness? to which regard?

Oh man... no thanks for the input from me :P just kiddin,

It's really good to hear everyones opinion on this but at the end of the day the more you hear the more you become "little skeptical about dropping it ..." rubbing, and tyre sizes the list will go on and on about how they scrape over speed bumps. If and when you do go for a drop like pedders tell them that you want no rubbing or scraping... if they can't do it then go to another store.

@2ZR-FE

LOl ... thanks for the input m8. I have mad a decision and made the booking for this Saturday :unsure: Hope I'm not going to regret it

To the spring thickness. Slightly heavier. My main aim is to just close the gap I have that is seen at the top of the tyre to the guard IE not be able to see thru ... if you know what I mean. I don't particularly want it down over the top of the tyres

To the spring thickness. Slightly heavier. My main aim is to just close the gap I have that is seen at the top of the tyre to the guard IE not be able to see thru ... if you know what I mean. I don't particularly want it down over the top of the tyres

So you wanna close the gap but you don't want the wheels to "tuck" in under the guards...

So you wanna close the gap but you don't want the wheels to "tuck" in under the guards...

I think he means he doesnt want it that low that the tyres go under the guard ala lowrider.

Yes heavier and thicker means stiffer it wont compress as easily as the originals which is natural because you dont want to smack into the bump stops.

I think he means he doesnt want it that low that the tyres go under the guard ala lowrider.

Yes heavier and thicker means stiffer it wont compress as easily as the originals which is natural because you dont want to smack into the bump stops.