Dyno

Finally got around to putting my car on the dyno!!

post-2295-1205320265_thumb.jpg

Oh well I was hoping for around 115kw, wasn't too far though.

Mods are

CES CAI (Dirty K&N, there goes my 0.01kw)

2.5" Catback X-force Twinloop S10

Will produce another dyno graph towards the end of next week after the installation of the PFC & with Tuning!!

Special Thanks to...

Xoom

Unigroup Engineering

And my fellow Australians for producing an excellant exchange rate against the Jap Yen.

Thats what I noticed too!!

So it wasn't my eyes that were messing with me :blink:

I'm curious to the way this curve turned out, I wonder if its because of all the highway driving I've been doing since I started this new job....

With the stock ones you tend to see a big kick in the curve when lift is engaged but with your mods you've given the car more power below lift (as well as in lift) so the kick isn't as prominent. You probably feel when driving that the transition into lift is smoother than when it was stock right?

Yeah it does feel that way though. It looks as if I could raise my lift engagement point lol, which I don't want to of course.

Peak power appears to be still rising though...I'm so excited at this stage, only problem is that when the car is back it will be the easter long weekend :ph34r:

Is you car equipped with PFC?

Because I saw on that dyno sheet the lift engagement point in that dyno is below 6000rpm.

looks like the alignment on the dyno is out by one of the little squares which in that scale = 120 rpms

how i worked this out is the fact that the graph ends at 8140 (7900+120+120) so it needs another square to hit true fuel/ignition cut on the stivo.

That would mean that lift really kicked in at around 6100 rpms which is possible if all the conditions for engaging lift are met. The stock ecu is possible to bring it on earlier or later .... ive had it delay till about 6500 before when i had the stock ecu. So nothing unusual here

I find my dyno curve to be nice and smooth which is a bit odd. I've looked at all the other dyno curves on this site as well as over at newcelica.

The PFC is going in tonight and dropping it off at the tuners this saturday.

Suprathai, I guess you finished making your harness, if so that is awesome, with the PFC you should get very noticable gains. Dont worry about the dyno numbers, just take it down the 1/4 mile when you are finished and im sure you will get a good time. Many members :ph34r: on this forum have dynos in the vicinity of 110-125kw but dont have the 1/4 mile times or MPH to back them up. That dyno you went to seems to be correct for the amount of mods you have.

I only say this because my car with I/H/E and unichip produced only 112kws at Autotech Engineering and I was quite dissapointed with the result with the money spent. But I took my car down the 1/4 mile and attained a 14.8 second run on my first attempt launching between 3500-4000rpm, with a highest MPH of 96.7. With practice this time can only get lower.

Im looking forward to the results of your beast :spiteful: :spiteful: :spiteful:

Long story cut short, I didn't complete the harness.....an unfortunate accident meant that its in pieces.

I got the installer that sorted out Xoom's problems to install it for me and it works like a champ. No hunting or anything of that sort with full load accessory while driving, Temp issue could not be resolved as usual. Will be getting a trio of gauges to add to spare din slot.

Driving home was funny on the pre-tuned map!! Because the Japanese have really nice fuel, you drive it nice and slowly and keep the revs as low as possible so as to not ping the engine.

I had an old lady in an old beatle battling off the line and I got to tell you she owned me by half a car length up the hill.

Wide open throttle and you could hear the car pinging, so I was driving on partial throttle and changing gears at around 2800rpm.

Will be dropping it off the tuners and hopefully I'll be back in one weeks time to show the results.

Got my car back from the dyno, wasn't happy with the peak power figure of only 5.2kws if you ask me.

post-2295-1206072724_thumb.jpg

Because of the light rain, I had trouble driving the car as it kept spinning really easily in the first two gears at low revs, so I was quickly shifting to get into third gear.

The car pulled really hard outside of lift in third as that was the only gear I could get it to test in and even then the wheels were slightly slipping in third gear in the wet. Lift in third gear and my tires are slipping.

My car is also in lift for 3000rpm....lift set at 5400rpm, redline at 8400rpm. My graph is up to your interpretation, but I'm damn happy with it if you ask me.

good stuff thai ....... like i said to you before ..... forget about the peak power gain ...... as thats not where the stivo needs improving ..... also i dont think its a direct comparison since now u hold peak power for almost 1000 rpms where as before it would only slightly touch peak for maybe 100 rpms then drop off.

you will have to let everyone know what u think of it wen its not wet ;) ;) ;) and u can get traction in the first 2 gears

So who's next ?

PFC (nengun has them @ 975+p&h) + $1250 for fitting & tune

Car is so much easier to drive, it pulls away much better then before.

If you look around at all the dyno graphs and the shape of it you'll realise that Unigroup produces excellant result, try and find a tuner that can set lift at 5400 and not lose any power while charging you a reasonable price. Took about 17 hours I think.

good stuff thai ....... like i said to you before ..... forget about the peak power gain ...... as thats not where the stivo needs improving ..... also i dont think its a direct comparison since now u hold peak power for almost 1000 rpms where as before it would only slightly touch peak for maybe 100 rpms then drop off.

all that means is that torque is dropping...

power is proportional to torque x RPM, so if the power is not raising, but RPM is, then torque must be dropping, which means the car is no longer pulling as effectively and you should have already changed gears

Took it out for a spin just then when the ground was dried up a bit, and its worth it.

I'll admit that I was bit disappointed with the peak power number though :rolleyes:

But the car reaches lift so much quicker and with lift set at 5400rpm I don't wait as long. On the stock ECU it seems to take forever, but now it gets there so freakin quick. Also the sound of the engine is different when its accelerating, it doesn't have that strained noise that its struggling to get up to speed. Car doesn't bog when getting off the line, but now I'm greeted with tyres scrubbing the road for traction.

Just think about it, 3000rpm worth of lift!!

So who's next?

all that means is that torque is dropping...

power is proportional to torque x RPM, so if the power is not raising, but RPM is, then torque must be dropping, which means the car is no longer pulling as effectively and you should have already changed gears

hence my point about forgetting about peak power on the sheet dylan :P :P :P :P :P :P and once again re-iterates that it dont matter wats going on #'s wise with the sheet .... but how does it now drive ;)

Wohooo GO THAI!!!! Good to see your happy with the results and improved drivability, must feel awesome having lift that low and not losing any power at the same time. Also DAMN that price is CHEAP to install/tune the PFC considering it needs to be wired up as its not plug and play.

I think with the ZRE corollas, a turbo is kinda outta the question. Unless of course you would like to spend alot of $$$$ to make it happen, but that would be alot of complications. Only had a brief look into the engine bay and there doesn't seem to be much room, unless of course you go the remote mount option.

A supercharger looks like a good option, although it would be a bit tight in the front as well.

I'm sure a light tune with piggyback hardware and you would be able to squeeze a fair few kilowatts, provided your tuner doesn't go nuts with the ignition etc....and even then if your able to get a nice increase in torque it would be nicer to drive day to day.

Also I'm curious about the a/f of the 2zr engines being so damned efficient I wonder if they are running it a bit lean to get those figures....

yeah, thing is finding that piggyback hardware is a bit hard at the moment ,considering the 'newness' of the ZRE model.

i hope something comes soon :P

This must be awesome to stay in the lift zone in all gears without even trying...

I have a few questions. Can you easily go back to the original engine loom to plug in your factory ecu if necessary (eg. if toyota needs to get error codes out of the ecu for a faulty sensor) ? Also, apart from the temp gauge and immobiliser not working is anything else like abs affected ?

I'm so tempted. Money not an issue, but the missus is but if I keep persisting I might be able to get somewhere.