10K Service

Just had my 10K service and the selector cable fix. I also raised a number of concerns with the car and requested Toyota investigate/resolve or explain the problems being experienced.

Where to begin..... (They had my car for 3 days)

1. Selector fix .... hmm the car was great to drive for about 100K, changing gears was incredibly smooth (low and high revs) and the annoying vibration was gone !

When I say changing gears was smooth .... I mean that gear selection was more precise when a gear was engaged there was no discernable sensation on the gear change i.e you could feel on the change as the gear was engaged.

BUT

After 100K the vibration was still gone but you could feel as the gears engaged ie not as smooth. It should be noted at lower revs (2000-3000RPM) the engaging of gears was still smooth. I suspect initially the smooth engagement of gears was a result of everything being greased etc.

I did find it difficult to change into 6th coming onto the freeway though. As noted by others I definitely would not suggest that this is a fix all

2. Chattering Gearbox

Some of you may remember that I raised and issue where a noise could be heard above engine idle when the clutch was engaged. Disengaging the clutch made the noise go away. South Side Toyota rang Toyota Australia who advised them that ALL sportivos made this noise and it was a characteristic of the car. Strange it did not make the noise at 1000,5000,7000KM. Can anyone confirm Toyotas opinion?

3. Stretched Leather

Drivers seat base replaced again. South Side Toyota agreed that the wrinkling was unsightly but that all leather stretches. The said that all seats (especially the drivers seat) would experience a degree of rippling. Anyone got a sporty thats done 5000KM where the leather is not wrinkled or rippled?

4. Performance issues - Power loss when hot.

They put the car on the IT (computer) to check for bad codes from the ECU and air/fuel mixtures etc. They could find nothing wrong... but didn't look at anything bar the ECU - go figure, I mean the power drop could be caused by something other than the ECU.

BUT HERE'S THE CORKER. A TECHNICAL GUY (SUIT) FOUND IT STRANGE THAT POST THE ECU THE CAR PERFORMED BETTER. HE INDICATED THAT THE CAR WAS ORIGINIALLY PUTING OUT 141+KW BUT WITH THE ECU/AIR FILTER CHANGE THAT DROPPED TO 138KW (FOR A STOCK STIVO). HE DIDN'T THINK THE TORQUE HOLE WOULD DISAPPEAR OR IMPROVE.

Comments... I'm confused. Did anyone Dyno a stock stivo post the ecu change and were the figures better?

There are other issues but I'll wait till I've got more info,

SPH141

i'm not sure about dynos pre and post for 'stock' dynos but modified ones definatley had gains.

hames stock stivo pushed out 104kW at CES the other week...which is suprising for the recall work. (dyno machine is also known to be 2kW down from dyno dynamics shootoutmode)

So 106 from a stock stivo post recall :D

4. Performance issues - Power loss when hot.

They put the car on the IT (computer) to check for bad codes from the ECU and air/fuel mixtures etc.  They could find nothing wrong... but didn't look at anything bar the ECU - go figure, I mean the power drop could be caused by something other than the ECU.

BUT HERE'S THE CORKER.  A TECHNICAL GUY (SUIT) FOUND IT STRANGE THAT POST THE ECU THE CAR PERFORMED BETTER.  HE INDICATED THAT THE CAR WAS ORIGINIALLY PUTING OUT 141+KW BUT WITH THE ECU/AIR FILTER CHANGE THAT DROPPED TO 138KW (FOR A STOCK STIVO).  HE DIDN'T THINK THE TORQUE HOLE WOULD DISAPPEAR OR IMPROVE.

Comments... I'm confused.  Did anyone Dyno a stock stivo post the ecu change and were the figures better?

There are other issues but I'll wait till I've got more info,

SPH141

I went from 121kw @ the wheels to 126kw at the wheels, and I could definitely feel the difference. Add about 20 - 22kw for loss ... and also bear in mind I have a Cone filter on the car.

But a funny thing happened on the day of the Dyno. The first run was 126Kw @ the wheels, the second run was 123kw ... I wrote off the power drop to heat cause it was a pretty hot day as well. But when you guys start talking about power differences from day to day, I start getting worried. :unsure:

in south africa .. i also had the slector fix done .. to be quite honest it did not feel that different from the start .. my main issue is that my clutch pedal feel is extremely hard in comparison to other cars .. the pedal even began to make a noise when depressed ?? needless to say all they do is grease the pedal which helps for two days and the noise comes back.

My box also makes the noise when the clutch is not in, and i think my friends one does to ???

As far as the power gains are concerned, i have had a few runs before and after the change under different conditions. When the temp is hot the car seems to loose alot of torque but actually does not fall out of the quoted figures. the effect on the power is less though ??? i will post one of my dyno's later on so you guys can have a look and see.

Edited by Takumi

My box also makes the noise when the clutch is not in, and i think my friends one does to ???

As far as the power gains are concerned, i have had a few runs before and after the change under different conditions.  When the temp is hot the car seems to loose alot of torque but actually does not fall out of the quoted figures.  the effect on the power is less though ???  i will post one of my dyno's later on so you guys can have a look and see.

Yes ... my box makes a noise as well when the clutch is out ... like a centre bearing noise.

Here's Takumi's Dyno ... :D

post-408-1101899114_thumb.jpg

Are you guys talking about power at the wheels or the flywheel. Cause if you're talking about power at the wheels then I want one. I wouldn't be complaining about 122 or 126kw at the wheels and neither would anybody in Australia who owns a Stivo. If that's the case then that's impressive if your car is relatively stock.

If you could clarify this for us that would be great. But if these figures are gospel then what is the difference between a Stivo and a Runx rsi? Would like to know.

Not sure about the dyno sheet:- hand written values and figures? I know you guys in Aus aren't too shy to give me your thoughts on this topic! :P :P

( Not having a go at you guys in SA. In house Australian joke)

Hi SILVABULLIT,

In my investigation into the power issue back in the hay day i found out some interesting facts where by the demograph of SA and Aus varies such that it has an impact on the cars performance.

Aus is relatively flat with the highest point above see level in and around sydney only being 300m

in SA they have a rough average sea level height of over 1000m in the mainland.

i had an explanation given to me about what effect this has on an engine but ive completly forgotten it but this was 1 pointer i do remember from my days of investigating this.

On paper everywhere i look and read the RunX is exaclty the same as the sportivo.

I could be wrong but i havent found any proof that disproves this.

Cheers

Bill

Im sure toyota's marketing guys will come up with something.....

altitude in a bottle........Use it and we will say ur abusing your car :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: .....

sound similar to the 141 kw issue :angry::angry::angry:

My feedback from questions asked.

3. No problems with my st1vo.  :huh:

Thanks for the feedback. I assume you are saying your leather is not stretched or rippled - how many km's have you done? Are you indicating that you had a chattery gearbox pre the selector change?

Cheers

SportHatch141

Hi SILVABULLIT,

In my investigation into the power issue back in the hay day i found out some interesting facts where by the demograph of SA and Aus varies such that it has an impact on the cars performance.

Aus is relatively flat with the highest point above see level in and around sydney only being 300m

in SA they have a rough average sea level height of over 1000m in the mainland.

i had an explanation given to me about what effect this has on an engine but ive completly forgotten it but this was 1 pointer i do remember from my days of investigating this.

On paper everywhere i look and read the RunX is exaclty the same as the sportivo.

I could be wrong but i havent found any proof that disproves this.

Cheers

Bill

I do believe they are exactly the same ... but I am just not sure about the ride height. I asked this in another topic, but do all of your corollas come with the same ride height or is the Sportivo slightly lower ??

I also believe Bill is sort of right about the alltitude story. If you just take our country, cars that run more inland like in Joburg are also 1/2 second quicker when they come to Cape Town, which is at sea level ... so this should make cars closer to your sea level faster ?? Sherbet ... now I'm confused :huh:

And those are at the wheel figures ... so thats why I said add 20 - 22 for the loss. but I have also heard some guys say ... add 18 ... so draw your own conclusions. We are definitely not unhappy with the performance of the car.

We are complaining mainly about Handling, rattles, this damn gearbox issue and Toyota's lack of customer service !

What sort of 1/4 mile times do you guys run ??

What sort of 1/4 mile times do you guys run ??

with pre recall cars @ ~ 113 - 117 fwkW our times were 15.2XX seconds

A couple of cars are now running 120+ fwkW with varying mods. I would like to think that we would be in the 14's by now. but we are yet to see :D

ive done almost 9,000kms and my leather is still near perfect but thanks because now ill keep an eye on it aswel as the other things im currently watching.

i got my lever and cables changed 2 weeks ago was fantastic for about a week then went almost exactly the same as it was prior to taking it to be fixed.

however now it changes smoothly upto 6,700rpm and before it was barely 6,000rpm. but now it seems to stick when i go into 6th or first gear.

i took it back to toyota on monday and got it back yesterday. with a report saying 2 techs checked it out and there was nothing wrong with the gear lever cables or gearbox. lol they also said they took the car for many runs to make sure there was even a problem. but when id dropped it off i reset my trip computer and when i got it back it had 4.8 kms on it. lol they really tested it i guess ;) ( i dont think so).

so yesterday when i picked it up i started laughin and the manager said whats so funny. when i told him i already new that you say nothing was wrong with it because others on this site have the same issue. he told me that hed never ever heard of this issue before. so i told him i knew he would say that too. then i told him what the issue is and how to fix it and he told me id have to speek to toyota themselves about this issue. as he and his mechanics had never heard of this issue and it was new to them.lololol what a joke.

anyway i told him i would start to send emails letters and phone anyone higher up in toyota and see what i come up with.

and that id be bringing the car back again next week or just after xmas and they can keep looking at it evry week till somthing or someone does somthing about.

im sooo thinkin of boycotin toyota over this issue its really getting to me.

there so nice when ya gonna buy a car off em they will promice you the world till ya buy it then they dont wanna know ya.

plus i dont know about anyone else but evrytime i take my car to toyota it comes back and it never feels the same for the first few days. does anyone have this problem aswel?

ed - constantly the car feels different when it comes back from toyota.....dont know what they do...but it feels stiffer sharper..newer than before it went in?

do they have some mysterious time machine or magic wand??? ;)

Edited by Danthuyer

i don't mind you guys having a go at my dyno :-) I drew the lines for me to compare it to some other graphs i pulled of the net .. just to make a little worse that dyno was prior to the the ecu upgrade with a broken exhaust cat (which i think increased the power). I wanted to see what the power curve did and the torque did compared to some other guys ... i've a copy of one without the lines ...

PS we are sea level - so according to my knowledge normaly asperated cars suffer at altitude ????

anyways anyone know how to raise the rev limiter ???

As nish said the performance is satisfactory - i believe the secret to getting the 1/4 mile times down is to get the car lower, strut brace the front and rear bottom and top and ofcourse the trd clutch/flywheel and LSD :-) although toyota sa will just say bye bye to our warranty and would probably love to cancel our motor plan .. ps is there any benefit to fit the rear piece of the exhaust - the sportivo part ?

Edited by Takumi