2008 Rav4 Fuel Consumption

Hi Guys

Picked up my New Rav4 a couple of weeks ago, and overall I am pretty happy with the car, except the fuel consumption.

For a 2.4L auto, I am expecting a heck of a lot better consumption than what I have been getting. Rough calculations are indicating around 400 - 450 litres to the tank, thats around 7.2 - 8.2 litres/100km (based on using 55 litres, and not running the tank completly empty). Which is far less than the 9.6 (Auto) claimed by TMC.

I was just wondering what other people were experiencing.

Points to note:

This is regarldess of myself or wife driving

This is combo highway/city driving

This is combo E10/RULP fuels

The thing that gets to me the most about it is that coming from the 2ZZ Sportivo that sat between 4500 - 8000 rpm constantly was getting between 10.5 - 11.5 litres/100km nearly every tank.... The Auto Rav rarely gets over 3000rpm....

Thoughts?

Cheers

Aaron :)

Wow! Sorry that I can't give you any info about the consumption of a Rav 4...

I would have thought that comparing it to the Sportivo, it would have been A LOT better.

I don't know too much... but would it have anything to do with the car being run-in or not???

:blink:

• 1 month later...

I had my 1 month+ old RAV 2.4 CV running past 2500km on the odometer this week and finally had a chance this morning to measure the fuel efficiency.

Just shy of the 1/4 tank mark, I've clocked 422.7km. I pumped a full tank at the station measuring 41.15L. That means I still have about another 20L to go.

Fuel efficiency would therefore be 422.7/41.15 = 10.3km/L or 9.8L/100km.

70% highway 30% urban this time.

I reckon I could actually go past the 10L/100km mark if I'd emptied the tank!

And oh, I'm so very light-footed. :)

Edited by killinghall

• 1 month later...

Since I didn't see this thread before I started one myself, I'll lodge my readings here too.

I've had my 2007 Rav Cruiser, auto for a month now and on city driving alone with trips up and down the Toowoomba range each time, I got 11.73ltrs/100km out of my first tank. Have done longer trips on the current tank so am keen to see a lowering of the consumption.

This link will help with calculations. http://home.iprimus.com.au/foo7/fuel.html

Cheers. :rolleyes:

Hi Guys

Picked up my New Rav4 a couple of weeks ago, and overall I am pretty happy with the car, except the fuel consumption.

For a 2.4L auto, I am expecting a heck of a lot better consumption than what I have been getting. Rough calculations are indicating around 400 - 450 litres to the tank, thats around 7.2 - 8.2 litres/100km (based on using 55 litres, and not running the tank completly empty). Which is far less than the 9.6 (Auto) claimed by TMC.

I was just wondering what other people were experiencing.

Points to note:

This is regarldess of myself or wife driving

This is combo highway/city driving

This is combo E10/RULP fuels

The thing that gets to me the most about it is that coming from the 2ZZ Sportivo that sat between 4500 - 8000 rpm constantly was getting between 10.5 - 11.5 litres/100km nearly every tank.... The Auto Rav rarely gets over 3000rpm....

Thoughts?

Cheers

Aaron :)

Hey Azza,

I'm just a little confused on your post and am wondering if I misunderstood it. My understanding of fuel consumption in Australia is the lower the figure of L/100km, the better. For example, if you had a 40 litre tank, and used 8 litres per 100 km, then you could drive 500km (40 / 8 * 100), but if you used 12 litres per 100 km, still on a 40 litre tank, then you could drive 333.33km (40 / 12 * 100). As such, the reading is how many litres it takes to drive 100 km, so the less litres of fuel you use to drive that distance the better.

The difference is the MPG (miles per gallon) measurement that they use in America, which is the other way around. In the MPG formula, the more miles you can drive per gallon of fuel, the better your effeciency is, so the higher the figure, the better.

So, in your case, the 7.2L/100km - 8.2L/100km you are getting, is actually better then the stated 9.6L/100km claimed by TMC.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

i've got an auto 4 cyl rav4 cruiser, a month old. i'm getting around 10 ltr/ 100 km. i am quite happy with that. it isn't much worse than my mazda 3 sp23 which i had before the rav.

i have heard of people with the v6 rav4 actually getting better fuel economy than this. perhaps because the v6 engine, taken from the aurion, has good low down torque, and copes better with the size of the rav4, and so you can get good economy. i'm sure you could also get bad fuel economy with the v6 if you hooned it a bit, which would be a temptation... i figured that by getting the 4cyl i wouldn't have such a temptation and would use less fuel.

but anyway i have to say the rav is a superb car and i am very very happy with it :yahoo:

Edited by nerdygirl