Caltex-Woolworths

Hi all,

I was wanting to find out if anyone knows if a Caltex-Woolworths will sell the same quality of fuel as a normal Caltex (like a Star Mart) does?

In Sydney, I know of a suburb where there is a Caltex-Woolworths (which used to be a Woolworths Plus petrol) and then 2 shops up is a Caltex Star Mart, both selling the same fuels. (Vortex 95 & 98)

Do all Caltex sites in the same area stock the same fuel, or do the sites that were originally Woolworths plus petrol sites still sell the crap from Malaysia they did before the merger?

I only ask becuase I'm thinking of using Vortex 95 and want to know that if I use a 4cent voucher from Woolies I will still get the same quality as my local Star Mart. I can't imagine Caltex selling two differnet types of Vortex 95 with one being inferior

Any help with this would be appreciated, as I don't want to use crap, and I just want to save a buck or two

Thanks

Edited by john_kowolski

i usually go 2 woolies petrol coz mum gives me the coupons..

the main difference seems to be that the higher octane unleaded isnt available at woolies.

but all the other petrols id expect them to be exactly the same.

if woolies stock caltex petrol, then other caltex stations should logically use the same trucks to deliver their fuel...?

Edited by JJCRU23R

i usually go 2 woolies petrol coz mum gives me the coupons..

the main difference seems to be that the higher octane unleaded isnt available at woolies.

but all the other petrols id expect them to be exactly the same.

if woolies stock caltex petrol, then other caltex stations should logically use the same trucks to deliver their fuel...?

some of the new woolies one stock 98 too :D:D

Yes, Caltex and Caltex woolworths will give you the same fuel.

Same branding... just different shop front.

How do you know this? I have evidence to suggest the opposite.

Need to remember there are 3 different types

Ordinary Caltex

Caltex Woolworths (previously Caltex in previous life)

Woolworths Caltex (previously woolworths)

Never catch me at a woolworths caltex if my life depended on it

I had heard that rumour too.

The way I see it, why would Caltex sell the 'normal' Vortex at a Star Mart, but then sell an inferior product at the Woolowrths still known as Vortex?

This seems like poor business to me. If this was true, why would they sign with Woolworths in the first place. Secondly, why would they rip-off the Star Card holders, by enabling them to buy dodgy fuel at Woolworths-Caltex sites (originally woolies sites) ?

You may be right, Micky (and MR22ZZ)... you both are generally more qualified on this than I...

But I'm with J_K on this one. By allowing the partnered company (Wool-Cal) to sell an inferior product, that only hurts the Vortex brand.

Two outcomes should come from said partnership:

1. Woolworths promoting Caltex - More consumers buying Vortex, as they have shop-a-docket incentives to do so; increasing Caltex market share.

2. Caltex promoting Woolworths - Cheaper cost of wholesale groceries (from woolworths) in store for the operator... resulting in higher profits, and therefore more royalties for Woolworths. Economies of scale.

At all Caltex (or affiliated) outlets, you always see the big marketing effort of "keep your engine clean - Vortex" etc. By offering different (or inferior) product at anything bearing their name, that will only hurt the brand - rendering all that marketing spending ineffective.

It would be a complete lack of synergy between the two to do anything detrimental to each others brands.

As suggested up top, I'm not about to bet 10 bucks on myself on this one :P So please educate me (and the rest of us) if I am wrong... present your evidence...

Edited by Leroy

I may not know much, but...

2 fill-ups ago I went to a Coles station, put PULP in, and got 450km on half a tank (no lie)

1 fill-up ago I went to a Woolies, put PULP in, and barely scratched 300km on half a tank (no lie)

Same road and destination for both, similar ambient temperature on both days etc etc.

Question is: should I complain?

2 fill-ups ago I went to a Coles station, put PULP in, and got 450km on half a tank (no lie)

1 fill-up ago I went to a Woolies, put PULP in, and barely scratched 300km on half a tank (no lie)

Same road and destination for both, similar ambient temperature on both days etc etc.

Answer is: don't expect a response! :lol:

I emailed woolworths petrol through their website woolworthspetrol.com.au. with my question over the quality of fuel and if it is from Caltex

This was the response I got:

-------------------------------------

Hello John,

Many thanks for your email which has been forwarded onto the Woolworths Petrol Division and apologise for the delay in responding to you.

All fuel sold through Woolworths and Safeway co-branded sites is supplied to Woolworths / Safeway by Caltex Australia.This includes all petrol products, diesel and LPG.

The fuel is supplied direct to site from Caltex terminals across Australia, and they are the same terminals that supply Caltex owned sites that are not part of the Caltex Woolworths alliance network.

There is no difference in fuel quality between Woolworths sites and Caltex sites.

Regards

Woolworths Petrol Customer Feedback.

--------------------------------------------------

i always go to wollies as i work at the fresh food people, hence 4c discount.

but when i think about it 4c off a litre isn't too much, might as well fill up at a BP.

I hear their fuel is highly recommended. :closedeyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, Caltex and Caltex woolworths will give you the same fuel.

Same branding... just different shop front.

How do you know this? I have evidence to suggest the opposite. ...

... Never catch me at a woolworths caltex if my life depended on it

Hmm... there may be some merit to your claim, Micky.

I filled up at Dickson today... I have never put anything other than 95 in... and I swear that the car felt a little nasty afterwards - even though the pump clearly read "Vortex"...

I'd still like something more concrete, though :ph34r:

Answer is: don't expect a response! :lol:

i actually prefer woolies over coles (at least the ones right outside my house) i dont know why.. maybe cause of the location but i get almost similar km out of almost all places i fueled up :) so i dunnoo....