info

Interestingly, Toyota have set up the system so that the extra power kicks in a little over 5000 rpm on the current UK spec vehicles. The torque curve of a VVTL-i is almost exactly the same as a VVT-i up to that point and then suddenly, where the VVT-i begins to run out of steam and revs, the new engine develops a new lease of life producing the extra 49 bhp right through to its 10000 rpm redline. The disappointing thing is that even with the new close ratio gearbox, the engine drops out of its optimum rev range when changing down. It seems very strange to us that the extra horsepower doesn't kick in just below 5000 rpm so that the engine can be kept in its sweet spot - this would almost certainly knock over a second off the already impressive 0-60 time of the Celica, putting it into another class altogether. Perhaps Toyota are saving this extra power for a later date. We expect to see after market chips that vary the valve lift at a lower engine speed, though as yet, none have appeared

A "chip" fix for varying the lift point is not yet feasible as unlike honda's VTEC, VVTL-i is an electronic AND mechanical system. That means changing out sensors and pressure valves as well as the electronic controller.

Like it or not, we are stuck with a 6000rpm lift change my friends...

Someone correct me if i am wrong but the Apexi power FC on the celica's allows you to modify the high cam rpm point..... I know it doesnt fit on the s'tivo as the ecu wiring is slightly different but i have seen a solution on the web which will let it fit the s'tivo but they want an extra grand for that piece alone.....

So like i said i might be wrong but im sure the apexi lets you alter the rpm setting for when the cams should change over.....

Someone correct me if i am wrong but the Apexi power FC on the celica's allows you to modify the high cam rpm point..... I know it doesnt fit on the s'tivo as the ecu wiring is slightly different but i have seen a solution on the web which will let it fit the s'tivo but they want an extra grand for that piece alone.....

So like i said i might be wrong but im sure the apexi lets you alter the rpm setting for when the cams should change over.....

yes it does allow u to alter the shift point of lift. but so far there has been no evidence of any gain by advancing the lift point.