Conrods to suit 1ZZ

Hey all,

some of you might remember that i bent a conrod in the June floods.... i replaced the engine and the car was back on the road within a week.

now i have been thinking about building up the old engine and making it a nice quick na motor. Only one problem, i cant get rods other than standard ones.... i am looking at bumping up the compression and extending the rev range to about 7500rpm.

obviously i will be looking at a rebuild... including:

boring out the block 10 - 15 thou

rods (forged etc)

pistons

cams

aftermarket ecu (if i can get away without one i will be happy)

machining of exhaust ports

can anyone give me some help with sourcing some of these items. i would be most appreciative. :help:

Jade

Moneywrench would probably be the place most on here would mention.

I'm getting my latest set of rods from: http://www.atomicspeedware.com/rodtoypaut.htm

They do Pauter or Crower rods for the 1ZZ, their normal retail price is a little less than MWR's current discount price for rods.

Crower cams are cheaper from MWR, but you'd probably want to purchase everything from the one place to minimize shipping costs. Once the cost's over $1K you'll get hit with customs duty too unless you can prove the parts are manufactured in the US so they can be imported under the free trade agreement.

IIRC the Apexi PFC that was used for the mr-s is a directly plug and play for the 1zzfe corollas.

MR-S PFC isnt a direct plug and play for the ZZE122. There's minimal repinning required. 1ZZFZE's running his TRD supercharged 1ZZ with an MR-S PFC.

Would be an interesting project but I'm of the Superdave school of thought in that the 2ZZ would still be the better option. 1ZZ is essentially an economy engine... Not that that has stopped Corolla modifiers in the past :D

the supercharging or turbo'ing option is a nice idea... and would be hell fun to drive. but this car is my daily driver and we are already modding the crap out of an xr6t....

i like the idea of na, and so does my insurance company ;)

also, i am looking at doing the engine rebuild for about $2500 (my partner is a mechanic and we have contacts for the machining etc) the charger kit would cost more than that alone...

thanks for your contributions guys, keep em coming....

have got lots of ideas from the sites that you have suggested so far :yahoo:

Edited by jade

I'm with Tayles, spending all this money on a 1zz...prolly wont even get close to the stock output of a 2zz....

meh ..... would still be fun to see ....... and u of all people corey should know that it doesnt matter what the power output is .... all depends on how it drives ..... *cough* 15.2 @ 122kw *cough* vs *cough* 14.7 @ 119kw *cough* :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :P :P :P

I'm with Tayles, spending all this money on a 1zz...prolly wont even get close to the stock output of a 2zz....

meh ..... would still be fun to see ....... and u of all people corey should know that it doesnt matter what the power output is .... all depends on how it drives ..... *cough* 15.2 @ 122kw *cough* vs *cough* 14.7 @ 119kw *cough* :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :P :P :P

Its a real pain having that much power you cant get it down :P

Its a real pain having that much power you cant get it down :P

someone hand the dyno queen her crown :P :P :P :P :P :P

back on topic ...... as rollamods has already stated monkeywrenchracing stocks everything you are going to need for this build if u decide to go through with it.