Gearbox Problems

Okay, this car is starting to officially pi#s me off, it's a 04 Sportivo with 30,000 kms, when changing from 3rd to 2nd it crunches hard, what could it be, thanks for any help.

PS, what is this car worth if I want to sell it?

does it happen EVERY time? or just when its cold. try it when going slow and when going fast (eg. change from 3rd to second at 70). because my friends corrolla did the same thing but only when the car is cold and was changing to 2nd at a low speed.

here is what a 05 is worth (didnt have 04 sportivos on the site????)

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=101756

and here is an idea of what people are selling 2003 to 2005 sportivos for

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/TOYOT...p;Model=COROLLA

Edited by black turkey

if it happens every time then it's most likely the 3rd-2nd gear synchros. to replace you'll need to take the gearbox out. Tell the mech to be carefull because 6th gear breaks when trying to remove aparently.

if it happens every time then it's most likely the 3rd-2nd gear synchros. to replace you'll need to take the gearbox out. Tell the mech to be carefull because 6th gear breaks when trying to remove aparently.

yea i've been through this issue as well from driving around like a spastic. its an expensive lesson.

it is most likely your gear synchros that have been worn out.

there is a lot of labour involved in this process you will be looking at around the 1k mark to get it fixed. may aswell get your other synchros replaced while your at it.

good luck with it

yea i've been through this issue as well from driving around like a spastic. its an expensive lesson.

it is most likely your gear synchros that have been worn out.

there is a lot of labour involved in this process you will be looking at around the 1k mark to get it fixed. may aswell get your other synchros replaced while your at it.

good luck with it

Hmm, so it looks like the synchros are shot, how long would this take to fix as this is my only car now and need it to get around? Thanks for all the replies BTW.

Well if your dealer has the parts then about 2-3 days tops but if they have to order parts then it could be over a week. If 2nd gear snychro is crunching bad then it is prolly due to mistreatment(missing a gear change, slamming it hard into 2nd gear will also do it) and i doubt you will get warranty on it unless you are a really good con artist like me hahahaha(not really) To do this they will prolly break 6th gear trying to get it off the main shaft so my gues price wise is about $1100 - 1600 easy.

Hmm, so it looks like the synchros are shot, how long would this take to fix as this is my only car now and need it to get around? Thanks for all the replies BTW.

yea its a bit painful mate, i suggest just taking it straight to the gearbox people. they tend to have cheaper prices if your financially challeged like myself :P

i got quoted very big figures from toyota dealers. i remember a dealer told me i was looking at the 2k mark and i literally swore infront of the dealer (not at him of course)

i got mine done in 2 days, parts were already available.

$2K, wouldn't I be better off buying a new box? What are they worth, $3-$3.5K?.............

i doubt you'll be able to buy a new box for that from Toyota. considering they want $900 for just the front lip of the sportivo. you'll most likely pick up a second hand box which means there will already be wear on it. There's nothing wrong with your box besides some worn parts. Just fix it, at least then you know you'll have a good box.

just out of curiousity, how do you drive? do you downshift alot to slow the car down or do you use the brakes? do you drive relatively spiritedly? Just wondering why your synchros are gone after only 30,000km

$2K, wouldn't I be better off buying a new box? What are they worth, $3-$3.5K?.............

i doubt you'll be able to buy a new box for that from Toyota. considering they want $900 for just the front lip of the sportivo. you'll most likely pick up a second hand box which means there will already be wear on it. There's nothing wrong with your box besides some worn parts. Just fix it, at least then you know you'll have a good box.

just out of curiousity, how do you drive? do you downshift alot to slow the car down or do you use the brakes? do you drive relatively spiritedly? Just wondering why your synchros are gone after only 30,000km

I do drive the car fairly hard, didn't really drive it that much as it was purchased as a spare car at the time, but smashed the other car and now am forced to drive this thing every day, but I have had drama's in the past going from 1st to 2nd whilst lift was engaged, this is probably what stuffed it all up, ah well I'll get it fixed and finally sell it.

Well if your dealer has the parts then about 2-3 days tops but if they have to order parts then it could be over a week. If 2nd gear snychro is crunching bad then it is prolly due to mistreatment(missing a gear change, slamming it hard into 2nd gear will also do it) and i doubt you will get warranty on it unless you are a really good con artist like me hahahaha(not really) To do this they will prolly break 6th gear trying to get it off the main shaft so my gues price wise is about $1100 - 1600 easy.

just wondering why does everyone say that when removing a sportivo box 6th gear breaks?? i sent a sportivo from here to my mech to have the clutch done, he didnt break the 6th gear.. is there a special tool you need to remove the gears?? just curious :rolleyes:

just wondering why does everyone say that when removing a sportivo box 6th gear breaks?? i sent a sportivo from here to my mech to have the clutch done, he didnt break the 6th gear.. is there a special tool you need to remove the gears?? just curious :rolleyes:

you don't break 6th when removing the box ...... also you don't pull any gears out to do a clutch as it is when pulling the box apart that 6th is broken or damaged and yes their is a special tool that Toyota should use to pull apart the gear box in a stivo.

you don't break 6th when removing the box ...... also you don't pull any gears out to do a clutch as it is when pulling the box apart that 6th is broken or damaged and yes their is a special tool that Toyota should use to pull apart the gear box in a stivo.

Yep, Bill's right, its only when pulling the box apart.

Also, you dont really need the tool, but it helps.