2zz rwd box

MR2 Spyder would have the box you need I'd say (has to be the 2ZZ Spyder obviously). A RWD Starlet sounds pretty insane did he convert it to RWD himself or was there a special RWD version that I haven't heard of?

Google found this: http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1694 - MR2ZZ is on there to :lol:

Edited by Seano

dude the mrs has the engine in the back.... so its a similar box to the fwd ones anyway

Ah **** yea forgot that, *** damn it. I think there is like some adapter you need, but if you read that thread it would be a pain in the **** getting the engine mounts on. Unless your friend feels like making a Startlet midmount

to my knowledge there are no 2zz rear wheel cars (north-south)

is this the older starlet that came rwd? the one that looks like a cardboard box?

maybe look around for any cars that might have a 1zz in rwd layout, i can't think of any

in the end, you might need to go custom, theres bound to be something that isn't too far off

Yes. the Toyota Matrix in the US-of-A has an AWD variant that takes the 1ZZ. you can probably modify the box to take the 2ZZ and then simply a matter of capping off the front output shafts and only using the rear output. It's probably not as simple as that but, yeah. :D

I havent heard of a front engine rear drive 2ZZ.

I would imagine it would be quite difficult due to the eat-west set up of the 2ZZ-GE engine

the RWD starlets use a north south configuration for the engine, so none of the 1ZZ or 2ZZ gearboxes are suitable.

One of the guys in brisbane had a new alloy bellhousing fabricated from machined flanges and a spun center section to suit the original RWD box in his car, all work done by Craig at Extreme Custom Engineering in Brisbane. Another mate of mine is modifying a G-series bellhousing to fit the turbo 2ZZ for his AE86.

Some of the clubman guys have used adapter plates to mate a normal W58 bellhousing to the 1ZZ, not sure what Toby does with his RWD 2ZZ's in the gearbox department.

Edited by rollamods

how does the T-series bell match up JP? Do you know if anyone has tried that.

They tend to use the T-50 with 4AGEs in the clubmans don't they? Not the stongest things but they are lighter then the W series.

how does the T-series bell match up JP? Do you know if anyone has tried that.

They tend to use the T-50 with 4AGEs in the clubmans don't they? Not the stongest things but they are lighter then the W series.

You can use a T50 if you want, same type of mods as fitting a W and then you can use the stock 2ZZ clutch plate too.

be alot of customising to fit a rwd on a 2zz wouldnt it?... first exhaust if i remember correctly runs right down centre where (if ) a rwd box and a tailshaft would sit. furthermore it runs in between the bottom of your car n this crossmember that would definitely not fit any kind of box in ( 2zz stivo)

KP starlets are already RWD, so have a trans tunnel etc designed for RWD... no-one's talking about making a ZZE corolla RWD in this thread.

To fit a 2ZZ to a KP starlet or AE86 or similar vintage RWD car, you typically need custom exhaust and intake manifolds, custom cooling system, usually sump mods or new custom sump to clear the crossmember and get the engine low enough in the bay to clear the bonnet, then you need some custom engine brackets/mounts to physically attach the engine to the crossmember. If you're running AC and PS you will need custom lines for both, custom accelerator cable to match whatever intake setup you go with, custom engine loom with a bunch of stuffing around to use an ADM ECU, or less stuffing around to use JDM ECU, then dont forget about coverting the fuel system to a non-return EFI setup, or if you have a return style EFI setup you can modify the fuel rail on the engine to suit, etc etc etc etc etc....

eg:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl0uxv/2zz_a.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl0uxv/2zz_b.jpg

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsl0uxv/2zz_c.jpg

• 2 years later...