HELP??!!!?!

JayKay_St_oneightwo

Hi guys, Im new and i have a st182, 91 GT4. Ive been hooked on this car since my younger brother has a v8 statesman with mild work done to it, and one of this babies left it the dust.

I have recently bought one, i use to be in to 8's but now converted to st182. Its a different ball game, but i like it.

The thing is I want to do some mods to this engine, like take off isnt that great so..... do i get different cams? bigger injectors?

Wouldn't have a clue. Basically i would like to get better performance than what I have currently (stock) and really I dont want to go over the top with mods. My budget is roughly 5-6K Depending on petrol hikes. I know im pretty vague at the moment, which is why I need HELP.

Cheers

I agree, I thought the 182's were convertibles, 184's standard, and 185's Turbo 4WD :spiteful:

ST182 = 3S, either FE or GE. Weren't sold here, are all imports

ST184 = 5SFE Camry boat-anchor, were sold here

ST185 = 3SGTE GTFOUR, sold here but in limited numbers I believe

Pretty sure both the 182 and 184 could be had in convertible form, but no convertible was sold on the Australian market.

I agree, I thought the 182's were convertibles, 184's standard, and 185's Turbo 4WD :spiteful:

Pretty sure both the 182 and 184 could be had in convertible form, but no convertible was sold on the Australian market.

I always thought the difference with the st184 and st185 was the engine upgrade. for example. The 1990 model had the 2.2L 5sfe and then the newer model had the 2.0L 3sge. There was also a different front bar with spot lights and the rear lights were slightly changed.

So does st184 = non turbo and st185 = turbo?

Edited by GT4RC

pretty sure 183 is the convertible

the 3sge never saw light here again in n/a form after the st162

only imported 182's and 202's (and the verts) have the 3sge

gt4rc, yes

with gt-fours, start off with intake and full exhaust, up the boost (need to disable the vsv and careful boost cut hits at 12 pounds)

if you have a n/a one, then look at headers and cai

throw up a photo, then we can help you out more :)

i've been a member here for ages -> ozcelica.com

Edited by bonbon-2zzge

Basically, from the ST16x to the ST20x inclusive, if it had a 2 on the end of it it had a 2.0L 3S engine. If it had a 4, it had the 5SFE. If it had a 5, it had the 3SGTE with all-wheel-drive.

Somewhere in there as well were the rare four-wheel-steering models, and the convertibles. There were also coupe and liftback versions of each model.

Australia got the following:

ST162 - SX + White Lightning model with 3SGE, ST model with 3SFE - liftback for SX, liftback and coupe for ST

ST184 - SX model +WRC Trophy with 5SFE - both coupe and liftback

ST185 - GTFOUR + GT4 Rallye with 3SGTE - liftback only

ST204 - SX and ZR models with 5SFE - liftback only

ST205 - GTFOUR with 3SGTE - liftback only

Anything else is an import

The big ones we missed out on were the ST185 GTFOUR, ST182 with 3SGE, and the ST202 SII and SIII with the redtop BEAMS 3SGE.

pretty sure 183 is the convertible

the 3sge never saw light here again in n/a form after the st162

only imported 182's and 202's (and the verts) have the 3sge

gt4rc, yes

with gt-fours, start off with intake and full exhaust, up the boost (need to disable the vsv and careful boost cut hits at 12 pounds)

if you have a n/a one, then look at headers and cai

throw up a photo, then we can help you out more :)

i've been a member here for ages -> ozcelica.com

What a knob i am, see what i mean bout being NEW?!?!?!?!?

Its a st185. I have heard to day that ajustable cams makes the car more torquey, is this true????, also heard that you can stick supra 550cc injectors and they will fit str8 in?? Since I will be strippin the engine back I want to put some goodies in as I go along.

At the moment I want to concentrate on the motor, my budget is 5-6K for now. I dont want to go as far as surge pumps, nos, or anything stupid. anything i can add or change as I go that would be great. I will put pics up everytime I do a bit, im open for opinions, or lessons for different types of celica's hahahaha, tht would be great.

Cheers

5k-6k ey? perfect

man just rip the motor out and replace the internals (forged), upgrade the turbo, rebuild the head, and re hone the block...

at least you'll have reason for the injectors.

you'll need a new fuel pump also.. 255Lt/Hr should be enough flow.

i'm collecting my internals atm so i can do the same thing

Basically, from the ST16x to the ST20x inclusive, if it had a 2 on the end of it it had a 2.0L 3S engine. If it had a 4, it had the 5SFE. If it had a 5, it had the 3SGTE with all-wheel-drive.

Somewhere in there as well were the rare four-wheel-steering models, and the convertibles. There were also coupe and liftback versions of each model.

Australia got the following:

ST162 - SX + White Lightning model with 3SGE, ST model with 3SFE - liftback for SX, liftback and coupe for ST

ST184 - SX model +WRC Trophy with 5SFE - both coupe and liftback

ST185 - GTFOUR + GT4 Rallye with 3SGTE - liftback only

ST204 - SX and ZR models with 5SFE - liftback only

ST205 - GTFOUR with 3SGTE - liftback only

Anything else is an import

The big ones we missed out on were the ST185 GTFOUR, ST182 with 3SGE, and the ST202 SII and SIII with the redtop BEAMS 3SGE.

Keep in mind that the 3s-Ge in the St162 is a less powerful model than the import motors (see toyota users manual) I can post it if ya like

Keep in mind that the 3s-Ge in the St162 is a less powerful model than the import motors (see toyota users manual) I can post it if ya like

I know, there are around 4 different generations of the 3SGE, ST162 is GenI, SW20 and ST182 (I think) is GenII, later ST202s and SW20s had the red-top BEAMS, SXE10 Altezza had the black-top BEAMS

i always wondered why toyota decided to go with the crappy 5SFE for america and australia

and not give us the 3sge, i just cant see the reasoning behind it.

Probably because by that stage the Celica image in Australia was that of a hair-dresser's car, more style than substance. The 5SFE is probably a much cheaper engine than the 3SGE, it was the same engine as the locally manufactured Camry so parts would be everywhere and cheap, it could also be a marketing thing as well (bigger engine, more torque etc).

I got my first Celica last year, an ST204 with the same 5SFE as the ST184, it makes me very sad to hear it called a camry boat-anchor, but since I got it I have realised it is true. I only managed to redline it for the first time ever last week.

I swear my next Celica will be a GT4, but the only one I've come close to so far was a half-cut at a Jap car parts place in Lansvale.

JM

I got my first Celica last year, an ST204 with the same 5SFE as the ST184, it makes me very sad to hear it called a camry boat-anchor, but since I got it I have realised it is true. I only managed to redline it for the first time ever last week.

I swear my next Celica will be a GT4, but the only one I've come close to so far was a half-cut at a Jap car parts place in Lansvale.

JM

what gear did ya redline in? i almost always hit the rev limiter in 1st and quite often in 2nd. i hate the fact that even the old ***** preludes and integras smoke our 5sfe.

what would be the cheapest place to source a 3sge? i have rang around abit but poeple seem reluctant to give a quote

I know, there are around 4 different generations of the 3SGE, ST162 is GenI, SW20 and ST182 (I think) is GenII, later ST202s and SW20s had the red-top BEAMS, SXE10 Altezza had the black-top BEAMS

there are 5 generations, 6 or 7 if you include the newer caldina ones, i lost track after the celica ones

before the beams there was a 3rd gen 3sge, some aus mr2s have it

pretty sure only japanese mr2s got the beams