I too have been doing some painting

TsvCelica

Hey guys, got bored enough to try this out, thought a nice silver would make the colour of the illuminated door sills from the group buy. They still need to be clearcoated, but tell me what you think!

post-3735-1212371314_thumb.jpg

post-3735-1212371335_thumb.jpg

post-3735-1212371349_thumb.jpg

post-3735-1212371363_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys :toast: Yeah I did know about the Sportivos being silver. I was originally going to go with a deep red to match the interior styling, but then I thought the silver would go well also. I'll put pics up tonight with the installed result. Clearcoating = slow work.

Tis me again, with the finished product. Due to issues beyone my control (F(*%-ing wind) there are a few small imperfections, but I'm still very happy with the result. :yahoo: I think it's akin to getting a tattoo though, you can't stop at one, I want to do more!

post-3735-1212469662_thumb.jpg

post-3735-1212469676_thumb.jpg

post-3735-1212469689_thumb.jpg

post-3735-1212469705_thumb.jpg

With great difficulty! You'll find the genuine one is actually held in by a wire frame and clips on the underside. To put a new one in you need to destroy the original (!!) by cutting the wire out. You then get the new one (about 25~ at Autobarn) and use the wire frame to clip it in place.

Yeah it sort of kills resale value, and if you ever decided to go back to stock you'd be in a tight spot. Thankfully, I'm not that concerned with either. The cars going to my gf at the end of the year when I bite the bullet and buy myself a ZZT-231. She likes it all, so everyones happy.

With great difficulty! You'll find the genuine one is actually held in by a wire frame and clips on the underside. To put a new one in you need to destroy the original (!!) by cutting the wire out. You then get the new one (about 25~ at Autobarn) and use the wire frame to clip it in place.

You don't have to cut it out! The wire frame just pops out of the clips and you slot the new one in

:yahoo: nice!

I've held off painting any part of my dash as I had read/heard somewhere that there was a certain type of dye used for 'painting' car interior dash/panels. Hmmmm ... after seeing this ..... love the results.

And thanks guys for the advice on the gear boot.... another thing I've been wondering about.

Looks like I'll be making up a temp spraypainting booth.

i often daydream of doing this exact mod on my corolla...whenever im stuck in the car, parked somewhere i think of doing it but not unless someone else has done it first... thanks for sharing! 10/10!

Hehe I got the one below the 9850 pioneer, i got the 8950BT :(

I couldn't justify the extra $90 for the rice factor haha

Damn you have a sharp eye for headunits. Yes, it's the DEH-9850BT unit. Bluetooth handsfree, iPod deck, the lot. Got it for 600 when they were introducing the next years model. It's mated to 4 Alpine Type R speakers each being fed 100Watts by the Amplifier hidden under my passenger side.

As for the painting I went the whole hog. Very mild sandpaper on the smooth pieces to get some decent grip, then two sprays of Plastic Primer. I left these dry for about 7 hours then started on coats of automotive exterior paint, every 30- 40 minutes, a total of four coats. I then left the lot for 24 hours and finished her off with 5 layers of clear coat. Tedious to say the least, but I fell in love with it the second I sprayed the colour on the bench to test! :yahoo:

great paint job! looks awesome :D . i have been waiting for someone to do that so i could see how it is done. Where did u buy the paint and primer from and wat brand is it? im jus worried if i go and do it the paint will scratch easy or peel off maybe.

If anyone has done this same thing in a bright red could you post some pics on here? i was thinkin of doin red instead of silver...

great paint job! looks awesome :D . i have been waiting for someone to do that so i could see how it is done. Where did u buy the paint and primer from and wat brand is it? im jus worried if i go and do it the paint will scratch easy or peel off maybe.

If anyone has done this same thing in a bright red could you post some pics on here? i was thinkin of doin red instead of silver...

Please don't do red :nono:

Please don't do red :nono:

x2 :ph34r: