Corolla/Celica 2zz vvt-li

hey guys, i was just wondering between the corolla sportivo 2zz and the celica 2zz engines, do they use different vvt-li sensors (camshaft oil control valve)? all the sensors on both vehicles sit the same, look the same, yet engine power/torque specifications on both vehicles are slightly different. if the vvt-li sensors are the same, what are the differences between the two?

When we are referring to inlet manifold, do we actually mean the throttle body or the manifold itself as well??

I have read somewhere stating that the inlet manifold of the celica is superior then the corolla sportivo, but having said that its not that much of difference I think.

hey guys, i was just wondering between the corolla sportivo 2zz and the celica 2zz engines, do they use different vvt-li sensors (camshaft oil control valve)? all the sensors on both vehicles sit the same, look the same, yet engine power/torque specifications on both vehicles are slightly different. if the vvt-li sensors are the same, what are the differences between the two?

we also got i think its the 3rd generation of the 2zz engine ...... there were minor things that toyota did fix e.g. lift bolts ...... but in general the engine are identical.

while on topic can i ask again i know lol if the celica box will bolt straight onto our corolla stivo?

mate i believe this to be true however there is 1 thing that i havent looked into which is the gear selector cables ..... on the celica they are around the front which is different to the rolla which has them on the back. im guessing someone with know-how could easily work around this.

mate i believe this to be true however there is 1 thing that i havent looked into which is the gear selector cables ..... on the celica they are around the front which is different to the rolla which has them on the back. im guessing someone with know-how could easily work around this.

Depending on ease, you could just swap the gear sets over as another option.

while on topic can i ask again i know lol if the celica box will bolt straight onto our corolla stivo?

Can be Done and Has been Done.... take a look at Pippys Thread about his levin

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=15425

Edited by MAP81

So here's the story.... I busted my original motor (CAI sucked up water and snapped con-rods 1&2, put a few holes in the cylinder walls). i bought a second hand 2zz (changeover) and fitted it in. the new motor did not come with an intake manifold but it did come with an exhaust manifold, which was identical to the one i had, everything else looked the same, though sensors were missing. differences were i had an oil level indicator switch on the sump which the new one didnt have and the water pipe that runs underneath the inlet manifold had an extra outlet. i swapped the sump and that water pipe over with no dramas, all my old sensors i put onto the new motor as well. there were 2 sensors sitting at the end of the motor (behind the throttle body) that were still there on the new motor but the wreckers had snapped the terminal so they were swapped also to my originals. thinking everything was now done and ready to go..... my car has no lift :( . when revs reach 5k its struggles as it were on redline, under 5k/rpm it drives like how it did beforehand. engine code : [vvtl-i valve bank1 malfunction - closed]. i had no vvtl-i sensor to compare it to (front of motor), but i did have the one with the snapped terminal (back of motor), so i pulled it out and compared it, (it looks alot like the vvtl-i sensor). the 2 sensors ended up bieng slightly different. my original has an extra port on the end.

hands tired..... betcha all coming up with question marks in mind right now and re-reading this lol.....

so... anyone have any ideas which 2zz i have? i will post up pictures soon to give you a better idea!

36973729iq7.jpg

41380913lt1.jpg

sensor position number 2

70032420zg0.jpg

the one on the left is the one that came with the motor, the one on the right is my original, notice the extra port on the end

83337291vn0.jpg

snapped terminal with new motor

and heres the pretty lil pic of snapped conrod cylinder 1 on the motor i busted :P

90504017jn8.jpg

83570578op6.jpg

man thats serious damage. good luck with getting your LIFT sorted out. haha now your driving a fake sportivo. LIFT is so close yet so far. and if you dont mind can you tell me how many k'z your orginal engine was on and post up a foto of the top of the cylinder. just wanna see what it looks like.

good luck

simon

my old engine did around 80,000kms, roughly, and it was a changeover motor so the wreckers took my old motor for scrap metal :'( sorry man

oh ok. roughly how much did your second engine cost you and how many k'z was it on. also did it include the gearbox with it?

i got a second hand engine with 20000kms from an 05 model stivo as well as 3months warranty for 1700 and keep my old engine i had the same problem as teevo the cai sucked up water n blew the engine up at 70000kms the conrod snapped and blew a whole in the block lol tho i did buy the car at actions so i was expecting sum problems. anyways i finally got the car regerstied yesterday and loving the stivo :yahoo:

Must've been some deep water that you went through to get water sucked up into the cai and engine. How deep was it and doesn't your insurance cover you for flood damage to your car ?

Must've been some deep water that you went through to get water sucked up into the cai and engine. How deep was it and doesn't your insurance cover you for flood damage to your car ?

hrrmmmm... when i got out, the water was somewhere near my knee? lol, insurance didnt cover it as the CAI was not listed on the modifications

hrrmmmm... when i got out, the water was somewhere near my knee? lol, insurance didnt cover it as the CAI was not listed on the modifications

Woah! Were you 4WD-ing?

Woah! Were you 4WD-ing?

Lol yea how did you come across such a body of water?

Like many users have said, if you don't drive into submerged water and you have the mudguard on under your car, there'll be no problems with a CAI sucking in water to blow your engine.

Just gotta be careful of where you drive hehe. :blink:

yeh but it honestly wasn't my fault lol, damn freak storm last december in melbourne. to all the melbournians who drove that day with wipers on maximum... i'm pretty sure that day still wakes you up in the middle of the night all sweaty... i still have nightmares about it :(

yeh but it honestly wasn't my fault lol, damn freak storm last december in melbourne. to all the melbournians who drove that day with wipers on maximum... i'm pretty sure that day still wakes you up in the middle of the night all sweaty... i still have nightmares about it :(

i remember driving one night last year, it's probably the same night you're talking about. I was so worried my CAI would suck in water i drove at like 5 km/h. When i got home i put my hand in and it felt like it was drenched I was worried sick. Gave it a quick wipe and turned the engine on to let it probably 'burn' and exhale the water that went in lol. Thank goodness nothing happened!