Car Tinting: Need advice

Hi Mates,

I need some advice on window tinting here.

I was advised that I can't tint my front windscreen as it is against the law and the price quote to me by the tinting companies does not include the tinting of the front windscreen.

If that is so, wouldn't it look odd to have all the windows tinted except the front windscreen which is clear?

I am deciding between TrueBlack 35 from TintPlus, Midnight Express from Tint a Car and Mirage from Premier Tint.

I'm located in Brisbane. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Why would you want to tint the front at all, firstly its illegal, and secondly it will distort your vision..

Thanks for the advice. What will you choose?

TrueBlack 35 or Midnight Express?

Which one looks darker?

Check my car in the Signature link - It's 15% all windows except the front one - it's very bad for the eyes and not safe to go with tinted one..

Can't say about Law in Australia..

i have midnite express. 35% tint on all windows except front windshield.. jumped on the sale they had on the radio last month for $295

pretty happy with the result, altho i should of gotten 25% instead.. its illegal yes, but not much of a cop magnet as 15% would be.

depends what your after, take a look at my registry ;)

edit: 35% is darkest legal tint

Mine are all darkest legal tint, with a strip of about 6-8 inches I guess along the top of the windscreen. , the strip across the top cost abotu $50 alone, though might be cheaper if done whilst whole car tinted. I'll try and post a pic up off mine if you want I idea how it looks....

Thanks for the advice. I asked for quotations already.

Midnight Express at $295 and TrueBlack at $305.

Both are darkest legal but heard that TrueBlack looks darker. Is that right?

My car is a white 2006 corolla conquest sedan.

Tintmart is having a sale at $199 for their Advantage35 but I'm not sure if it's trustworthy.

Anyone has experience with them?

Mine are all darkest legal tint, with a strip of about 6-8 inches I guess along the top of the windscreen. , the strip across the top cost abotu $50 alone, though might be cheaper if done whilst whole car tinted. I'll try and post a pic up off mine if you want I idea how it looks....

please do post some photos.. i was thinking of adding these when i got my tints done but went against it for some reason :unsure:

cheers, yURI

I have 15% on mine, quite hard to actually see inside, but looks mint from outside.

Other than that its sometimes a pain in the **** when its really dark outside ie; no street lights trying to reverse using your side mirrors could be difficult.

LOL... first of all, if we tint the front windscreen, if cops start taking your pictures for speed camera, they cant see your face.

but what people says that it disctracts your vision. its 100 percent true. in my country, all my cars use the darkest/ or the mirror kind of tint. so it reflects just about anything. on daytime, u cant see anything from outside, unless u stick your face on the window. at night, u can barely see the face at night.... but from the inside, it will have like reflection... which makes the driving hard. but in my country, those kind of dark tints is important as they are alot of crimes on the roads. if they see you using your mobile phone. random people on the street can just grab an axe and start threatening you , whether give your phone to them, or they will smash your glass. T_T

so yeh... i want tint too :P:P

the % is the amount of light that goes through so the lower the number, the darker the tint. I have 18% and it is quite dark, it is still illegal, i think legal in NSW is 25% correct me if im wrong. I got mine done for $220 all windows except front windscreen in Sydney.

the % is the amount of light that goes through so the lower the number, the darker the tint. I have 18% and it is quite dark, it is still illegal, i think legal in NSW is 25% correct me if im wrong. I got mine done for $220 all windows except front windscreen in Sydney.

Do you know wat is da legal limit in Adelaide, SA?

Would you guys recommend any place in Adelaide that tints cheaply? When i bought mine, the car dealer asked me if i wanted to tint, he said he would do a special price for me, which's around $600!! do u think he just lied to me?

Do you know wat is da legal limit in Adelaide, SA?

Would you guys recommend any place in Adelaide that tints cheaply? When i bought mine, the car dealer asked me if i wanted to tint, he said he would do a special price for me, which's around $600!! do u think he just lied to me?

definately.

yea, he told me "normally, i would cost u around 700 bucks. But since u buy your car here, its gonna be $500-$600..."

Its good for me not to accept his deal.

i have had a look on da internet, and find this brand: http://www.tintacar.com.au/tac_about.shtml

It has about 5 or 6l stores in SA I think. Has anyone seen this brand before? Is it good? How much for da "Midnight Express" tint?

Cheers,

you might kinda get an idea from these...hope they work...have resized them already so hope not to big...

SimonTURBO_II20080626204928pslfile1.jpg

SimonTURBO_II20080626204938pslfile1.jpg

Nice pics Smithy. Which company did you use?

Is that midnight express from Tint a Car?

sorry i didnt post any photos as i said i'd do. i can't find the usb to connect to my camera :angry: :angry: But anyways if it helps, i do recall the installer for Midnite Express telling me that the tinted windows would also look darker if your interior trim was of a dark colour aswell. As my interior is a two-tone with beige velour trim, its abit more see thru.. not as dark as the above photos

Smithy, what is that strip useful for? I envisage a windscreen decal of some sort in the near future.. :whistling:

edit:

Is Tint-a-Car a good company everyone? How much does it cost for Midnite Express?

it normally costs $395. i got mine installed when they had a special last month that cost $295 with lifetime warranty..

Visually (for me anyway) it draws the roof line down a bit so windscreen isn't so huge. But it does help keep the intensity out of the sun when driving in morning or evening. Initially I bought a strip from SuperCrap for about $15. but the film is SO fidly, I had it cut roughly to size and window cleaned, detergent solution mixed and sprayed, was just about to apply when it started raining, not wanting the door trims to get damp and moisture into the power windows I decided to try and do it with the doors closed, of course it started fogging up, so I turned on the air.... big mistake, teeeeny little breeze and the tinit film, folded over itself and stuck instantly.... :angry:

"tinted windows would also look darker if your interior trim was of a dark colour aswell" (Yuro).

Very true. Levin interior is dark apart from the roof and pillars. the sun roofs tinted too. ;)

I've used Tint-a-car for all my previous cars but mainly for convenience and consistent results from car to car. Though don't get me wrong theres many others out there that significantly cheaper, but of course cannot speak of the results. Pretty sure if a dealers offering to get it done for you they are bringing in a mobile contractor anyway. Maybe try and establish who the car dealers use and contact the contractor yourself and save on the mark up...

if your in brisbane and want it done for much cheaper, PM me and i'll point you towards somewhere you may be able to get a decent price, but cannot at all vouch for the quaility or finished product of course...

Tintmart is having a sale at $199 for their Advantage35 but I'm not sure if it's trustworthy.

it depends on what color ur car is too!:P

imo if ur car's white/light colored go for the darkest tint legally and in ur case the TrueBlack but if ur car's a dark color/black then go with the less dark so that u get a bit of contrast..rather than the whole things black(ur car i mean)

it depends on what color ur car is too!:P

imo if ur car's white/light colored go for the darkest tint legally and in ur case the TrueBlack but if ur car's a dark color/black then go with the less dark so that u get a bit of contrast..rather than the whole things black(ur car i mean)

Thanks, mate for all the advice. I think i gonna get the Midnite Express one, it does look cool :D

How long does it take to get my car tinted? Do I have to leave my car there and go away and come back in da afternoon? Or it just takes an hour or so?

The legal limit in NSW is 35%, unless ur car is built before April 1994. That is the law 100%.

If your in Sydney, i can recommend a tinter who's family has been in the tinting industry since tinting was available in Aus. I have sent more than 10 cars to him and can vouch for the quality of his workmanship. He is a top bloke and very helpful. To let u kno, I had him tint my car all round at 25%, and after having the car for a few days, I was concerned with the legality of having such a dark tint in regards to insurance (in which it CAN void ur policy should they wish to). Im not willing to take the risk on my brand new rolla. He changed the tint to 35% for me, free of charge. No problems at all. His prices are the best in Syd, for the same quality. Also has a variety of tints available, mirror/black/whatever.

If you want his details, send me a PM or email me: calvin.w@live.com.au

If you want to see my tints first hand, be my guest.

I will try get some photos up this week!

Edited by Calvo

The legal limit in NSW is 35%, unless ur car is built before April 1994. That is the law 100%.

If your in Sydney, i can recommend a tinter who's family has been in the tinting industry since tinting was available in Aus. I have sent more than 10 cars to him and can vouch for the quality of his workmanship. He is a top bloke and very helpful. To let u kno, I had him tint my car all round at 25%, and after having the car for a few days, I was concerned with the legality of having such a dark tint in regards to insurance (in which it CAN void ur policy should they wish to). Im not willing to take the risk on my brand new rolla. He changed the tint to 35% for me, free of charge. No problems at all. His prices are the best in Syd, for the same quality. Also has a variety of tints available, mirror/black/whatever.

If you want his details, send me a PM or email me: calvin.w@live.com.au

If you want to see my tints first hand, be my guest.

I will try get some photos up this week!

That ssounds great man :). Thanks for your advice. I am not in Sydney, I wish I am... it's kinda hard to find a place to tint down here in SA. I dont know the MidniteExpress is 35% or 25% but it cost a lil expensive to me ($295 - in thi sale season). I gonna get my car tinted soon...