2 amps in sportivo corolla

CME-LFT

High guys, i got my first amp installed at an audio shop and they ran 4awg through the firewall in an empty hole/grommit, now i wanted to put a 2nd amp in under the passenger seat but theres no more holes left ( or i cant see them at least) Any ideas?

As i dont feel like splicing a new line from the 1st amps supply in the boot and running back, i was curious as if anyone has any ideas/method or if they ended up puttin the 2nd amp in the back??

Maybe i could drill a small hole in the firewall............. :whistling: ............................... :unsure: ................. :help:

I know thats the most obvious and probly the easiest option, its just i dont want too much junk(splitter boxs, and fuses) all screwed into the back seat.

Just another thought which i didnt think about, where am i going to screw the ground if i install the amp under the seat?

I know thats the most obvious and probly the easiest option, its just i dont want too much junk(splitter boxs, and fuses) all screwed into the back seat.

Just another thought which i didnt think about, where am i going to screw the ground if i install the amp under the seat?

Velcro may be of good use under the seat. should never under estimate that stuff

i got 2 amps in my corolla... i removed my 1st (+) cable with a much thicker wire.. thickest you can get from autobarn (0gauge?) and ran that through the same hole/grommet thingo that my 1st (+) cable ran through, then added a splitter/fuse. its also a good idea to get the thickest ground wires you can get as well just to be on the safe side.

Edited by J_J

So pretty much, im going to have to put a splitter box at the back. :(

Ah well. thanks anyway guys.

Looks like ill go and upgrade the power wire again, seeing as the mono has 3x30 amp fuses and the 2channel has 1x 30 amp fuse (total 120 amps) and the 4 guage i have atm only handles 110 amps, plus the fact that if i brought that through to a splitter box, i have to then split each amplifier into 8 guage which is rated even less.

Does this sound right so far or wont the amps really reach their max current draw and im just being paranoid? The manual for the big mono block recommends to use 4 guage for it alone.

well if you get a run of 0gauge. You can just get a distrobution block (splitter) that is capable of outputing both 4guage and 8guage. Run the 8guage to you 2 channel and 4guage to your monoblock amp, and there you go. Just dont forget to get a fused block, or put inline fuses at your amp end as well as a big fuse near the battery.

the power handling capacity of your cabling doesnt need to match or exceed your amp(s) fuse(s). the fuses on an amp are for protection only and will blow if in the event of the unit short circuiting internally.

i have an amp with a 30amp fuse used as a sub amp. it drives a pair of 12's nicely. the main fuse i use is a 10amp at the battery. i have driven the subs so hard they distort and the amp gets VERY warm.....yet i have never blown the 10amp fuse. current draw at full noise is about 8.5 amps

with your negative/earth lead......make sure its of the same size as your positive lead AND run it back to your battery. if you dont then you will get what is known as "ground loop" this is where the current has to pass from the amp via the metal in the vehicle back to the battery. basically it makes the current "go the long way" back......and it picks up any noise generated by the car.

DO NOT put a fuse in the negative lead as this can lead to an electrical fire

cheers

• 1 month later...