What engine oil u run?

Bones56k

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys,

just wondering, i posted it on the general section of tocau,

but does anyone here have any feedback on using filtermag?

the problem is, you can purchase some "earth magnets" from jaycar at around $20.

these guys cost $100+

cheers!

food for thought. on another note, im trying my bloody best to cut up a new ryco oil filter to examine whats on the inside. its hard work, but i'll post the results and compare them to the likes of k&n, mobil 1 and purolator oil filters avaliable here (only k&n) and in the states, as well as the comparision between the beloved toyota oil filters!

cheers again

hey guys,

i know its a N00B question but i just wanna make sure.

would it be ok if i ran an oil filter to only 10,000kms?

its a k&n oil filter filtering synthetic oil.

my common sense would be well, if i ran mineral oils with ryco/cooper oil filters for 10,000kms, the k&n will do just fine but double checking.

• 4 weeks later...

just curious actually,

if synthetic oil should not be used above 100,000kms, then what do dealers use for cars such as bmers, mercs or even the mazda's that have done >100k?

i noticed mazdas use their own genuine synthetic oils, and they have a warranty seal saying that the mazda engine is protected for life by their genuine synthetic oils.

i friend of mine is using synthetic on his skyline and its done 200k - with no leaks not problems whatsoever. so...mmm?

it's not so much synthetic oils that aren't recommended, just the viscosity of them, and the fact that synthetic oils are generally a lower viscosity than semi-synthetic or mineral oils.

you can probably use lower viscosity oils with more than 100k kms without oil leaks, it just depends upon the car and how much wear is actually on the engine. i'd say try it out if you want to, but if you get oil leaks then switch back to a higher viscosity.

but at the end of the day, it's not about being cool if you use synthetic oils, its about which oil actually works for your car and lubcricates everything properly. otherwise, there is no point in switching.

A terrific oil for engine cleaning is Shell Helix Ultra (full synth). However, my car has >200kk on it. AFAIK it is available in only one viscosity: 5w 40, so I was topping it off every week. Certainly isn't the best viscosity for such an old engine either. I'm on 10w 50 now, different brand, and oil loss is minimal.

hey guys,

i know its a N00B question but i just wanna make sure.

would it be ok if i ran an oil filter to only 10,000kms?

its a k&n oil filter filtering synthetic oil.

my common sense would be well, if i ran mineral oils with ryco/cooper oil filters for 10,000kms, the k&n will do just fine but double checking.

You will have no problems here.

hey guys,

just wondering, i posted it on the general section of tocau,

but does anyone here have any feedback on using filtermag?

the problem is, you can purchase some "earth magnets" from jaycar at around $20.

these guys cost $100+

cheers!

food for thought. on another note, im trying my bloody best to cut up a new ryco oil filter to examine whats on the inside. its hard work, but i'll post the results and compare them to the likes of k&n, mobil 1 and purolator oil filters avaliable here (only k&n) and in the states, as well as the comparision between the beloved toyota oil filters!

cheers again

Both work in precisely the same way. Unless there is some sort of size difference between the two, the price difference is completely unjustified.

Keep in mind that neodymium magnets (indeed all metallic magnets) lose their effectiveness at high temperatures. I don't know how hot oil and oil filters get, but anything getting towards a couple hundred degrees will quickly destroy the magnet.

(BTW, 'rare-earth', not 'earth' magnets ;))

actually, keisari, oils aint oils just like filters aint filters. there's many differences in their internal design and operation.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763 (thanks to Wixy)

Thanks lateralus, I happen to have read this interesting article before.

I agree with your comment, though I'm not sure what you are responding to? Is it the question about the K&N lasting 10,000km? I figure that any oil filter worth using in a road vehicle should last at LEAST 10,000km regardless of its design, so changing it every 10,000km should be perfectly fine if one is willing to pay for them that often.

oops, my bad. i thought you were referring to the filter analysis Wixy was talking about in saying theres no difference between them, now i just realised you were referring to the magnets.

so, if a mazda/bmmer/merc/wotever were to have >100k and to be serviced by dealers, would they use semi synthetic oil or full synthetic or full mineral?

my guess would be a higher viscosity with semi? but nfi just checking i guess.

some supercheat auto stores still have the oil stock of purolator pure one oil filters. pity purolator dont import the pure one series cuz other filters just cost too much or just totally suck....

im currently using k&n as its the closest i can find to a semi reliable filter with alot of data and backing. every other filter in the aust market, the world doesnt seem to know about, or that they really cbf with lab testing them - like ryco, cooper, nippon max series. however, those using cooper, the fact that the public can get them for $4per filter from wholesaler seems to say that its cheap and nasty. chain stores such as autobarn sell cooper for $12 which i find is a total rip and complete dishonestly factor of 10 - no wonder mechanics like cooper oil filters.

Running Mobil1 in everything.

'02 Camry V6 has 140K, '93 Corona SF has 135K, both run Mobil1 5W50 as recommended by Mobil with 10K Oil & Filter changes, and I buy 20l at a time from the Mobil Distributor which works out ~$12.00 per litre. Honda motorcycle has 192K running Mobil1 Race4T with 6K oil & Filter changes.

None of the engines use enough oil to register on the dipstick between changes.

Best oil ever made IMO.

'02 Camry V6 has 140K, '93 Corona SF has 135K, both run Mobil1 5W50 as recommended by Mobil with 10K Oil & Filter changes, and I buy 20l at a time from the Mobil Distributor which works out ~$12.00 per litre. Honda motorcycle has 192K running Mobil1 Race4T with 6K oil & Filter changes.

Best oil ever made IMO.

mobil1 silver or gold. either way, i cant exactly afford $79-$99 per bottle. if you can hook me up with your contact i'd jump on your bandwagon anyday mate.

im victoria

Best oil ever made IMO.

mobil1 silver or gold. either way, i cant exactly afford $79-$99 per bottle. if you can hook me up with your contact i'd jump on your bandwagon anyday mate.

im victoria

If you have an ABN number you can buy direct from the Distributor - Pacific Petroleum in Qld, Statewide in WA, dunno about Vic.

• 9 months later...
just thought id let people know.

super cheap in vic are having a massive sellout on castrol edge atm. damn them, i purchased mine in the last sale for $38.88.

now they have them at $29.95 from $52.00

this is ridiculous. if only i knew....

better get them now more than ever, 40% off wont come again.

I owned and ran a1988 Six cylinder Ausy built Nisan Skyline from new for 260,000+KS over 16 years using Mobil 1 synthetic and the car was still running perfectly not using a drop of oil between 10,000K oil changes when I finally parted company with it.

Edited by peregrine

If you use a 10W30 or a 10W40 oil and don't want to spend the large amount for Mobil 1, I would highly recommend Fuchs Titan Super GTO. It's a fully synthetic oil and at $40 per 5 litres, you can't go wrong.

Hey All

1995 Camry Vienta with 3VZFE, always used Castrol GTX2 and then Castrol GTX3 when it became available. Changed oil every 5000 kms to 150000 kms and then once in every three months. Except for minor oil seepage no problems at all.

K8Canb

Just a quick question. Do I have to do anything special if I wanted to change to syntetic oil?

before changing it, use an engine oil flush, such as the one from the nulon brand range. with those, you add it into the oil filler cap, run the engine for 10-15 mins then drain the oil and filter immediately. from there, the rest is as normal, but fill it up with the new synthetic. obviously replace the oil filter as well.

personally, when i switched mine to synthetic (around 6 months ago now - castrol edge 5w30), i drove my car relatively hard before hand to try and get any potential sludge removed so its much easier to drain. i knew there wasnt sludge in there anyway, but it makes the oil run much easier when really hot.

but note once you go from mineral based oils to synthetic oils, you cant really go back

Edited by lateralus

Thanks lateralus. I was thinking to flash it 1st. I'm not sure about grade of the oil. I had a look ion the car manual and I thing I'll go with 10w-30. It should be good enough. As for the brand I thought of Mobil1 but will decide tomorrow after going to shop and checking the prices.

Edited by czaja74

Bought Castrol Edge 10w - 60w from Supercheap Auto. Got genuine Toyota oil filter, flushed engine and filled with oil. Will report back in a few days.

10w-60 may be a bit thick for your car, mate. you may not have any problems with it, but with vvti i would have suggested a thinner oil.

Edited by lateralus

Bought Castrol Edge 10w - 60w from Supercheap Auto. Got genuine Toyota oil filter, flushed engine and filled with oil. Will report back in a few days.

10w-60 may be a bit thick for your car, mate. you may not have any problems with it, but with vvti i would have suggested a thinner oil.

What would you recommend then? Maybe 10w-40?