What engine oil u run?

Bones56k

Hey All

I am interested in what engine oil you guys run in your Camry and WHY?

How many Km's has your motor done also!.

I had a SV21 which i ran Magnatec in it for the first 200,000kms and once it got over the 200,000km mark on a 0 degree mornings it started to have big end bearing knock for the first 4 seconds on startup. Got to the point i was thinking i will drop the sump and change the bearings.

I decided to stuff around for 10'000kms and change oils at 5'000km and used different oils and tried old valvoline 20w/50 and the old motor behaved.

The oil light would go out within a second even though a little snow was on the bonnet (with no bearing knock).

So what oil you use and why? :o

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using full synthetic Castrol Edge 10w-30. or 10w-20 cant remember which one (the one that the manual said to use). I change my oil at 7500km intervals or there abouts. Car has done aoubt 70k km. For older motors, it would be best to use non synthetic oils or oils with less additives because it could make your engine leak oil. ie It cleans the crap in the engine which is actually stopping it from leaking.

Edited by STYLSH

Well, I use Castrol Magnatec... just ticked over 154k on my 95 Tourer... never had any bearing knocks though?

I change my oil every 5k... I have only ever used Magnatec in this car since I got it near 2 years ago... I'm gonna try another oil though, just to see if it makes a difference at all.

Using full synthetic Castrol Edge 5w-30. or 5w-20 cant remember which one (the one that the manual said to use). I change my oil at 7500km intervals or there abouts. Car has done aoubt 70k km. For older motors, it would be best to use non synthetic oils or oils with less additives because it could make your engine leak oil. ie It cleans the crap in the engine which is actually stopping it from leaking.

hmmm i used to run mobil 1 and Motul Fully synthetic in my 4age with 280K k's on it..... which only ever seaped a little from the rocker covers.

in my sportivo i use FUCHS 10w-30 love it.

Hey All

I am interested in what engine oil you guys run in your Camry and WHY?

How many Km's has your motor done also!.

I had a SV21 which i ran Magnatec in it for the first 200,000kms and once it got over the 200,000km mark on a 0 degree mornings it started to have big end bearing knock for the first 4 seconds on startup. Got to the point i was thinking i will drop the sump and change the bearings.

I decided to stuff around for 10'000kms and change oils at 5'000km and used different oils and tried old valvoline 20w/50 and the old motor behaved.

The oil light would go out within a second even though a little snow was on the bonnet (with no bearing knock).

So what oil you use and why? :o

OILS AINT OILS SOL!!

GULF WESTERN for my 2VZFE.

CH14 for my turbo intercooled XUD9TE in my 306 XTDTi Peugot.

VALVOLINE in my G13B GTi Suzukis all with 200,000 km plus.

GULF WESTERN in my GT2000

VALVOLINE or PENZOIL in my 280ZXT turbo Datto.

All 20W/50.

All change at 5000 km including the filters which I by in bulk off ebay.

5000 km.

I generally use Penwright in my car. Found the different between Castrol that dealership use and other places, give the engine a longer lasting and never had a problem even when its was way over due for service

Another question...

Castrol Magnatec has additives to help protect the engine... well, so they say anyway right?

Would it be better to go to a normal 20w50 compared to the Magnatec?? Or is there an oil, that's 20x50, that will have the same advantages, if surpass the Magnatec oil?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

um

guys,

just wondering,

wot oil filters do u use?

and does it matter if u get expensive ones or ones off the shelf like ryco and cooper?

alot of mechanics like to use the blue bottle coopers for toyotas/mazdas.

ive been using z158 in replacement of the z386 for camrys. they have the same head slot but the z158 is much BIGGER! has more oil to filter i guess lol.

cool. just wondering where do u get your genuine filters from?

i need to buy in bulk....

speaking of bulk, supercheap r selling castrol edge 5w30 for $38. a saving of $11, i figured id get 5bottles enough to last me till 100,000kms

+ 1 for the Penrite...! :)

thicker oils is better for older engines, in the old TF Magna i had for a few months it got rid of 80% of the white fumes... (seeping seals... a 600 bucks proper job...) and got rid of the car too ;)

you can go expensive route for Mobile semi...

but in the end older engines its better to use mineral oils...

I'm at Chatswood Toyota in Sydney...

I'm a mechanic at the service department...

mmmm i was just wondering...

aside from factory intervals for mineral oils, when do u change oil for those using synthetic oils?

i was talking to my old man and his colleagues work overseas for nissan asia pacific, and im not saying they are gods, but nor am i saying they dont know crap, but they expressed utter stupidity (not saying anyone here, just reexpressing their words lol) for those who use synthetic oil, dont race on tracks, use their normal daily rides to do daily things, and yet have oil change intervals at 7,500kms, or as low as 5,000kms. also, motor oil waste is one of the biggest dilemmas of the all time, so i guess there would be alot of clean, unbroken down oil disposed if u change them at 5,000kms.

then i thought, the europeans (bmw/benz) use their own factory synthetic oils and have only 1 service per year - 20,000km to 25,000km oil change intervals, and usually their cars are pushed just as hard, or harder than normal daily rides - ie camrys!

they advised me, after purchasing 5 bottles of castrol edge at a decent sale prices, to change them at least 15,000km, which to me sounds right seeing each factory interval oil change is at 7,500kms. i dont know how good edge is, and whether they stay true to their claims, however nissan have their own factory synthetic oils have they usually do minimum of 20,000kms before they even contemplate changing their oils.

one would still need to change the oil filter at the factory intervals. just not the oil if its 100% synthetic.

so i guess for those out there using synthetic, just thought id share some thoughts cuz you could save big bucks through dyi and not changing your oils so frequently, and use that money for other better things in life i suppose. remember, im refering to camry's that dont scream as much, and just go about their daily business. i guess if one was racing their camry (i dont know why you would) then im guessing its a whole different story.

• 4 weeks later...

just thought id let people know.

super cheap in vic are having a massive sellout on castrol edge atm. damn them, i purchased mine in the last sale for $38.88.

now they have them at $29.95 from $52.00

this is ridiculous. if only i knew....

better get them now more than ever, 40% off wont come again.