What engine oil u run?

Bones56k

I'm at Chatswood Toyota in Sydney...

I'm a mechanic at the service department...

Small world; you must know Nick then. He's an apprentice at Chatty Toyota.

I use Castrol GTX-2 and change every 6months or 500kms...roughly haha. Last oil change was done when i did 3k @ approx 7-8 months. I use Ryco oil filters. Had a spare Z158 and got a Z386. I think i'll get the Z158 next time (or whichever is cheaper/is in stock lol) as it means i can twist them on and off easily with those cotton gloves with rubber crap sprayed on the plam side. How much are the genuine filters?

Edited by sv21_ownR

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Toyota have their own synthtic oil but no longer put in the market due to the low demand (that what my dealer told me). When I decided to switch to synthtic there were 3 bottles left at local dealer ship.

I am suing Castrol Edge 5w-30 since 62500KMs, because mobile 1 doesn't claim to meet the API standard for my car. The car now have 83000KMs one it. I change the oil every 3000Kms and flush the engin 2 time during the initial oil change using Liqui-Moly stuffs and starting add MOS2 ANTI-FRICTION to the oil since last oil change.

New oil is getting dirty very quickly. I am also planning to drop the pan during the christmas. No plan to clean the engine after 100,000KMs.

Edited by capodien

• 2 months later...
I owned and ran a1988 Six cylinder Ausy built Nisan Skyline from new for 260,000+KS over 16 years using Mobil 1 synthetic and the car was still running perfectly not using a drop of oil between 10,000K oil changes when I finally parted company with it.

mmm been a long long time

i purchased 2 5L bottles of 5w50 mobil1, but yet to try as i havent been traveling.

time and time again ive heard positive news from mobil1's ability to be used on high mileage cars, as time and time again people are able to just keep using them regardless of engine/vehicle age.

though i do believe they are probably the best engine oil manufacturers around. hell i wouldnt be surprised if most oem vehicle manufacturer motor oils are mobil oils, some might be the super range of oils rather than mobil1.

there are alot of blends of mobil1 so i guess i'll need to choose the right one, 0w40, 5w50, 5w30 & ESP, 15w50(now at Costco for a decent price),

not alot of oil companies have tried and tested the million mile experiment either, http://www.mobil1.com.au/performance/miles.aspx

After using Castrol Edge 5-30 in my 2ZZ im now using Penrite HPR 5 as per their oil match system on their website. As they say you find a good thing you stick to it , for the cost of the oil and the fact that it does everything it should ill be staying with it.

Running Mobil1 in everything.

'02 Camry V6 has 140K, '93 Corona SF has 135K, both run Mobil1 5W50 as recommended by Mobil with 10K Oil & Filter changes, and I buy 20l at a time from the Mobil Distributor which works out ~$12.00 per litre. Honda motorcycle has 192K running Mobil1 Race4T with 6K oil & Filter changes.

None of the engines use enough oil to register on the dipstick between changes.

Best oil ever made IMO.

I had a VL commodore that I ran on Mobil 1 for 6 years it did a head gasket and when I pulled the head of to replace it the motor insides were very clean for a car that had over 160,000 Kms on it.

I'm now using it on a 2000 model Camry with the 1MZ-FE motor with 109.00KMS and intend to keep using it as I've read reports that this motor has a tendency to sludge up so using a good synthetic oil with regular oil & filter changes should prolong any problems of this occurring and have to agree one of the best oils ever made.

• 2 years later...

Penrite HPR5 - Full synthetic 5W-40. Just had a new engine put in my car so the engine is currently sitting on 7000km. Do you reckon that this oil is good enough? I've just replaced my oil at 5000km

+1 for HPR5. i currently use it in my pulsar and previously in my sitvo and i tracked with it also. cant fault it. if u wanna go more baller get SIN5

PENRITE!!!!

never use anything else,

get the appropriate weight for the amount of K's on the engine. > rule of thumb more k's thicker oil.

I've never spun any bearings or anything of the like...

had a vehicle that had kinda dodgie valve stem seals, so tried couplke of 'other brands'{not gonna name any names,} bad smell of most other oil makers, I reverted back to Penrite after valve stem seals were done and was back to being beautiful..

I only use the MINERAL BASED Penrite{have used semi-synthetic at ties} do em all my self

Mineral based because and engine is metal right. metal still needs 'minerals' to be 'reabsorbed' .. .. right?...!

and just to comment on a comment i read, just because u run a 'thin' oil doesn't mean the oil pump can pump it any quicker... quite the opposite actually. .

and just to comment on a comment i read, just because u run a 'thin' oil doesn't mean the oil pump can pump it any quicker... quite the opposite actually. .

i actually was thinking about this on cold starts... when i used 10W40 mobil super 3000 the oil light turned off after 3 seconds. when i changed to the lighter oil 5WXX, the light turned off as soon as the engine turns. must be a good thing as the oil is circulating quicker right? i believe this is true as the most wear happens when u cold start an engine.

someone correct me if i'm wrong...

hey mr X

ur right..

my bad, with the 2zz's there designeed for lighter oils...

i Was more so talken about the engine in Q the 5s.

The 5S will run perfectly fine with Synthetic and Semi Synthetic, 7 years and not a worry. If you use straight mineral oil you will increase engine wear, they are designed for running in engines in order for everything to bed in.

hey there Trent,

I know as long as u keep up service intervals, everything should be fine no matter what... {well should do... LMAO}

i was more talking about running a 5w-** in a 5S isn't a real good idea due to the 'design' of the oil pump in itself..., the side channels between the fins and 'body' of the oil pump varies greatly on there ability to pump 'thin' oil.

{Obviously that's an IMO... }

there are many 'stories' i hear about ppls vehicles still surviving once 'thin' oil is run.. . .. .

then again I hear much nastier stories about how instantaneously they start leaking & eating oil.. even to the point that rods get thrown. .. . . .