KX-R or KX-S ?

201_kilowasps

Hi,

I am in the process of getting a 7-seat kluger, either KX-R or KX-S. Although I am leaning towards the KX-S model for its bigger alloys and leather seats, I am not sure if the hard-earned $6.5k more is worth the extras. I am just wondering what the current KX-R and KX-S owners opinions on their current experiences, and if they would change their mind, or put in more ptions, if they could turn back the time. Cheers.

It's worth to get the KX-S if you could afford it. Among other thinggs, don't forget the KX-R is still having manual A/C and single disc audio. The most dissapointing bit abt the KX-R has to be the crappy audio. Yes, this can be easily upgraded and you can get a decent set that doesnt cost too much from JB Hifi, etc. but you run the risk of having the dash scratched. Same goes for other bits that can be upgraded, there's always a risk of damage from dodgy installation job..

There are some other bits that aren't easily upgraded, at least not cheap eg. leather sets, sun roof (grande), push engine start (grande), powered tailgate (again, grande).

But if I can turn back time... I might go for the Mazda CX-9

ABSOLUTELY no regrets with the KX-S. I'm definitely glad we took this model over the KX-R, and miss nothing that the Grande has over the KX-S B)

I narrowed them all down to the kluger mainly they're thirstier, bulkier, heavier, more expensive to run and depreciates faster (mazda vs toyota). Also as I am doing a novated lease, Mazda is not doing any deals with the leasing companies, unlike Toyotas.

I have a KXR it is awesome.

I dont understand why people spend so much money on the extras..

I got my 7 seat KXR for with tow bar and sidesteps for $41,900 drive away.

The difference in car between KXR KXS and Grande dont seem worth it to me.

60g for a Grande. I dont understand that the extras on the grande compared the KXR are one third of the value of the car. To me a lot of the extras are gimmicks. Push button start for example....who cares if you need to turn the key as opposed to puch the button?

Look at this way you could almost buy a KXR and corrolla for the price of the Grande

I have a KX-R and a Grande.

I think the extra money for the KX-S is definitely worth it if this is your primary car. The KX-R is my work vehicle and mainly used for going to factories and carrying tools. The Grande is our primary car for everything else.

The main advantages of the KX-S or Grande over the KX-R are:

1. Wheels and tyres. The wheels look much better and are much easier to clean. The tyres have much more grip, important if you are getting FWD. The tyres may be more expensive to replace, but I wouldn’t replace them with the same, I would get better for less.

2. Leather seats. More comfortable and much easier to clean. Look new for much longer and easier to replace sections if damaged.

3. Electric seats. Mainly better for the extra adjustment, not the motorized adjustment as it is very slow.

4. Climate control. I hate manual aircon. Buttons for temperature are on the steering wheel. It is also 3-zone temperature control.

5. Leather steering wheel. Feels better and it is a slightly better shape where I put my hands.

6. Longer spoiler over back window. Keeps more rain and dirt off when driving.

7. Fog lamps. Mainly look better, don’t get much fog here.

8. Roof rails. Can easily fit and remove roof racks as you need them.

9. Seat heaters. Good for the wife, not me.

I wouldn’t put any value on the better stereo with Bluetooth in the KX-S as I would change either for something half decent.

I got the Grande over the KX-S as there are some things you can’t get as an option/upgrade.

The first is the auto tailgate. Doesn’t sound important but it is very handy.

Smart entry/start is great. On some cars it is useless as you need to put a card/key in somewhere on the dash, then push the button; what’s the point. In the Grande you don’t need to take the key out of your pocket to enter, start or lock the car which makes sense.

I don’t like the sunroof, as I hardly ever open it and it makes the roof lower so that the backseat mirror obstructs the rear view mirror.

I would’ve had DVD and navigation fitted if I had a KX-S.

I think that if you can afford it, the KX-S is definitely better than KX-R. If you have young children, the Grande is better than KX-S.

I have a KXR it is awesome.

I dont understand why people spend so much money on the extras..

I got my 7 seat KXR for with tow bar and sidesteps for $41,900 drive away.

The difference in car between KXR KXS and Grande dont seem worth it to me.

60g for a Grande. I dont understand that the extras on the grande compared the KXR are one third of the value of the car. To me a lot of the extras are gimmicks. Push button start for example....who cares if you need to turn the key as opposed to puch the button?

Look at this way you could almost buy a KXR and corrolla for the price of the Grande

Every brand/model have price difference between entry lever and top model 1/3 to even 1/2 price.

What's not important to you is to someone else.

I have Grande and i am "spoiled" with all those "gimmicks"...........and added some more..............

(my missus claims its waiste of money,but who cares :D )

Right toe you S & G Boys/Gals.

I'm a AWD "R" owner who is as happy as Jim Lovell upon his return to Earth.

Now I too went through the do I get an S or an R.

I travelled to the Wangaratta Toyota dealer who had seven in stock back in Sept 07. (didn't buy the Kluger from them).

I sat in a R then a S, then back in the R and the S over and over repeatly over two weeks.

I sized up that the only things in R that I would miss as against the S was Bluetooh and the power seats.

The dealer pointed out that the manual adjust seat was quicker to adjust and due to there design and efficiency in adjusting. So don't get hung up over not having power was the advice. In real life its not issue.

The bluetooth I upgraded at a cost of $850 so I'm happy, whilst I don't use the 6 stacker, just the i-pod.

The Tyres I believe are more pratical on the R especially for towing and soft off roading due to the side wall flex & give. Especially if you drop the pressure on med level off roads. IMO I believe their a softer ride and they will cost less to replace. The rims are still large by most 4X4 standards on the R.

The leather seats appear to be spiltting and cracking with several of our peers on the USA sites. Plus it gets very hot in Albury/Wodonga in summer so cooler fabric is my choice.

I've no chrome front grill, but with the Nudgebar and Hella FF4000 chrome spotties mounted. You would never know it wasn't chrome.

I would have liked the leather wrap steering wheel, but bugger I don't have it.

I went for the third row seats for resale down the track which Ive never used. But the rear air- con treatment looks heaps better by ordering the third row and I wasn't too keen on the commodore style of rear air con outlets supplied with two rows of seating layouts.

I got the side steps on advice of my mate with a Prado who said they deflect stones away from the side doors panels whilst motoring down gravel/dirt roads in conjunction with front mud flaps.

Plus you can scrape your feet on them prior to getting fully into the vehicle, especially at the boat ramp.

I'm fully maintained including unlimited petrol 52 weeks of the year and on novated lease and contracted to buy it after 5 yrs.

The salary sac was heaps cheaper with the R model along with the pay out price. I just couldn't justify a S.

The $4000 of extras I put on at Fleet price was payed in cash by me to keep the salary sac as low as possible, along with the buy out price.

Am I happy with the R - you bet and I might just re post me favourite picture again.

100_1675.JPG

Edited by fish475

We have a KX-R and just love it. More than enough features to keep us happy.

To be honest if we could afford a KX-S we would have probably got one. The KX-R was only JUST within our budget. We were put off a little by the black leather interior as we looked at one on warm day and found the seats almost too hot to sit on. Not sure how others find them.

Its easy enough to buy a KX-R and add a few extras that you like. On the other hand life is too short so if you can afford a KX-S why not go for it??????

You will love either model.

To be honest if we could afford a KX-S we would have probably got one. The KX-R was only JUST within our budget. We were put off a little by the black leather interior as we looked at one on warm day and found the seats almost too hot to sit on. Not sure how others find them.

Its easy enough to buy a KX-R and add a few extras that you like. On the other hand life is too short so if you can afford a KX-S why not go for it??????

You just brought up a very valid point about leather (furniture). it gets very hot in summer and bloody cold in winter. that's one of the reasons i won't buy leather couches (and why i didn't mind getting the KX-R over the S.

For me, it's all down to price. I've got "contacts" & "connections" which allowed me to buy KX-R at a very low price. The price was just simply unbeatable for car of this size. In fact, I could break even or even make a small profit in a year's time.

You just brought up a very valid point about leather (furniture). it gets very hot in summer and bloody cold in winter. that's one of the reasons i won't buy leather couches (and why i didn't mind getting the KX-R over the S.

I have had a few cars with leather seats, black and brown leather. They may be hot to the touch initialy, but I have found they cool down within seconds of sitting in them. It is also only an issue if the sun hits them directly. Being cold in winter has never been a problem, but I am usually wearing clothes.

I have had a car with black vinyl seats as well. Those do not cool down.

It's worth to get the KX-S if you could afford it. Among other thinggs, don't forget the KX-R is still having manual A/C and single disc audio. The most dissapointing bit abt the KX-R has to be the crappy audio. Yes, this can be easily upgraded and you can get a decent set that doesnt cost too much from JB Hifi, etc. but you run the risk of having the dash scratched. Same goes for other bits that can be upgraded, there's always a risk of damage from dodgy installation job..

There are some other bits that aren't easily upgraded, at least not cheap eg. leather sets, sun roof (grande), push engine start (grande), powered tailgate (again, grande).

You must be a small guy. I thought the CX-9 was a much sexier car however I chose the Kluger Grande over the top range CX-9 because:

It is bloody thirsty

No Sat Nav

No Bluetooth

No DVD

No remote start

No electric tailgate

And the driver is coccooned in a very crammed cabin whilst the passenger keeps knocking their shins against the low dash door.

It is also very expensive and Mazda dealers try to upsell this car against the European SUV's but I found that there was only 1 car they hated enough to drop their pants on price and that was the Kluger.

Don't be too disheartened, it took me a very long time to decide between these 2 and I am certain that the Kluger was a great decision