Running in the car

TOOGUD

Hi All.. Just wondering if anyone could advice me on what are the proper steps to run in my kluger and also for how long.. my partner's sis called yesterday and told me that her sales rep for her Mazda 7 told her that she has to warm up her engine every morning for 5 mins, cannot rev above 3000rpm and the car will only be runned in after 1000km. My good ole sales rep from toyota told me 500km and not to travel above 80km/h.. who's the best person to heeding the advice from.. Please advice..

It is a question with no right answer.

That is what I will do.

Start the car and put your jacket or whatever in the car, don't need to wait 5 min since it will take lots of petrol. Drive off with a very light foot (even just let it run by itself for first 100km. Keep the rev range under 3000rpm before the coolant in warm temp.

No braking hard as well unless it is to prevent accident.

Drive and keep in a varying speed for the 1st 1000km. I will change oil in the first service. Then just drive normally.

No towing and racing for the 1st 5000km if you can.

Like Taka says, definitely DON'T sit there with the engine running waiting for it to warm up - slow driving and easy on the throttle for the first few mins is quickest and most economical IMHO B)

Firstly, no towing until 800ks as per handbook*(i think it was 800...), try not to use cruise at the one speed. IE, dont travel 500k's at 100k/hr. Alter your speed, maybe 100, then 95 then 90 then 100... and also at other speeds. I found with my old car the Vz commodore it can change down a gear which means it rev'ed at different levels but same speed. Not use to the klugers gear change as yet, im still looking for the padle shift...

Brakes need to bed in as well, so no stomping on em.

ALrite guys.. 1stly i wont do any towing but i have been travelin on cruise pretty often but alternate the speeds.. the furthest i did with my cruise crontrol is abt 30km so far.. if that ok in your opinions?? pls advice.. :help:

my 1st fuel refill and fuel meter is sitting at the lowest point of 8.8L/100km. Now it has fall back to 11L/100km in urban driving wich i am pretty pleased.. taking the car up to the lamington park with the AUSCAM people for a nice cruz.. will release some pictures of my ride if i have the chance to take some.. cheerz..

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, and if you are on good 95RON you are prob doing 600km per tank. It barely over 11L/100km when on highway and getting into small towns like Canberra, where there is next to no traffic lights.

• 9 months later...
It is a question with no right answer.

That is what I will do.

Start the car and put your jacket or whatever in the car, don't need to wait 5 min since it will take lots of petrol. Drive off with a very light foot (even just let it run by itself for first 100km. Keep the rev range under 3000rpm before the coolant in warm temp.

No braking hard as well unless it is to prevent accident.

Drive and keep in a varying speed for the 1st 1000km. I will change oil in the first service. Then just drive normally.

No towing and racing for the 1st 5000km if you can.

hi,

I just bought new kxr driving very softly done 500km avg coming as 15.9l/100km.Is that normal?Please advice

I've got 60,000km on my KXR2 and its running as sweetly as it did when new, and here's what I did. (This car by the way, is our first ever brand new car, and was our retirement purchase)

I picked it up from the dealer in Brisbane with 2km on the clock , drove home to Caloundra 75km away and I was so impressed the next morning I packed up the missus and threw in an overnight bag, and set off immediately to Sydney via the Pacific Hwy, sitting on 100, 110 (and 40 at roadworks),

Next morning returned by criss-crossing the great divide via Buckets Way and again at Belligen taking 2 days to try it out on winding hills.

Took it back to the dealer for its (by then overdue) 1000km service 4 days after buying it (much to his surprise) and the next day headed off to Charleville and Cunnamulla (3,000km round trip) sitting on 110 most of the time.

So within 10 days we did about 5,000km mainly at high speed.

And the subsequent 55,000km has been driven much the same way but with about 6,000 on gravel.

Now since that first trip I have consistantly got an average of 8.4 - 9.0 economy per tank.... which I put down to almost continuous running at 100kmh and tyres at 40psi. (the tyres are now due for replacement).

( I would imagine that engines these days would be made to very high tolerances and shouldn't need "bedding in" as was required many years ago)

My kluger has 500k on it and I have been trying not go over 3000rpm have used the cruize abit only to get use to it

We have been getting 11kpl around town including school pick ups etc which ias better than my 2lt v6 mazda lol

Was told by the dealer to bring it back in a month for a check and that there was no need for an oil change until 10000ks unless i wanted it

I have been told by a friend at toyota to change the oil when it goes in for the check

What is the right thing to do ??

I hope I can get the same economy as mayhewga on our trip to sydney soon that means about 750 ks to a tank

Thanks

Twiggy

Edited by twiggy73

My kluger has 500k on it and I have been trying not go over 3000rpm have used the cruize abit only to get use to it

We have been getting 11kpl around town including school pick ups etc which ias better than my 2lt v6 mazda lol

Was told by the dealer to bring it back in a month for a check and that there was no need for an oil change until 10000ks unless i wanted it

I have been told by a friend at toyota to change the oil when it goes in for the check

What is the right thing to do ??

I hope I can get the same economy as mayhewga on our trip to sydney soon that means about 750 ks to a tank

Thanks

Twiggy

Yes Twiggy,

On hwy trips I always work on getting 700km between refills, unless there are a lot of hills or strong headwinds.

On one trip from Cooma to Sunshine Coast, after filling at Cooma, I next refilled somewhere south of Port Macquarie, and didn't need another refill at all... The readout showed I was getting 7.9 when I pulled into my garage and still had 1/4 tank left on a trip of over 1400km!

When the light comes on indicating 40kms of travel remaining I always count on another 100km. If I do refill when the light comes on I can only ever fit around 55-60 litres in.

I always sit on the speed limit, and drive very smoothly with no sharp acceleration (except overtaking) or braking. On these trips we are always loaded up with camping gear, food and water for a week, esky, sleeping bags etc so there is a heavy load. I use cruise control except on hills.

Put 40psi in the tyres and enjoy your trip!