Air intake mods

ELEGNT

This maybe a stupied question but dose the aurion have a IAT sensor??

It sure does have an intake air temperature sensor. This is built into the MAF. It is similar to this:

maf.gif

Since you went to the effort to remove that, did you swap your vacuum hoses around as well? If you're freeing up the intake, you may as well hear it.

No i didn't mate, Do you have any instructions to swap the Vacum hose? what does it involve?

Cheers mate

I have a picture back there on the first page. Just try and replicate what you see:

dsc02793fr5.jpg

That plug???? Sorry about the random post :P

You lost me a little. I'm guessing you meant to say that "it's not that" when referring to that thing to the left hand side of the intake with the vacuum hose looped around on it (in my photo)?

If so, the object you are pointing to is the vacuum switching valve used to control the intake butterfly.

The IAT is DEFINITELY on the MAF sensor.

Hey guys,

might be a silly question, but how would you clean the inside of the hose where the MAF sensor is? due to build up etc? just some crc? or wd-40 or degreaser or something? cheers!

Yoz!

might be a silly question, but how would you clean the inside of the hose where the MAF sensor is? due to build up etc? just some crc? or wd-40 or degreaser or something?

You mean the intake hose or the PCV hose (the one at the top of the hose just before the throttle body)?

Either way, there shouldn't really be a need to clean it since it isn't really going to help anything, but if you want to do so... definitely don't use WD-40. That will make things worse.

Just use some throttle body and carby cleaner.

might be a silly question, but how would you clean the inside of the hose where the MAF sensor is? due to build up etc? just some crc? or wd-40 or degreaser or something?

You mean the intake hose or the PCV hose (the one at the top of the hose just before the throttle body)?

Either way, there shouldn't really be a need to clean it since it isn't really going to help anything, but if you want to do so... definitely don't use WD-40. That will make things worse.

Just use some throttle body and carby cleaner.

yeh, just the hose that goes to the throttle body, and the sensor itself. i've been going through this thread and early on, there was mention of it getting contaminated with the oil from the filter (i'm assuming its the same re-usable filter that you can clean and re-use and re-oil?). have you had any issues with oil build-up in the intake darryl?

also, could you also please send a photo of your completed K&N filter? cause mine arrives in a few days and i just wanna make sure its assembled correctly, despite it coming with instructions!

and for the rest of you guys, i'm putting my car on the dyno tomorrow arvo, BEFORE the CAI goes on, just to settle the "horsepower gain" issue, and i'll have it dyno-ed after as well!

yeh, just the hose that goes to the throttle body, and the sensor itself. i've been going through this thread and early on, there was mention of it getting contaminated with the oil from the filter (i'm assuming its the same re-usable filter that you can clean and re-use and re-oil?).

If you had the stock filter on (the white one) then there is no need to clean this as it won't have any filter oil build-up. In the future though (after fitting an oiled filter), you should consider cleaning it, but now isn't necessary.

have you had any issues with oil build-up in the intake darryl?

That question I cannot answer. I didn't really drive it far enough to determine that. You shouldn't really have any issues with it. I just have had a bad experience in the past, but this most likely comes down to over-oiling the filter when cleaning it.

also, could you also please send a photo of your completed K&N filter? cause mine arrives in a few days and i just wanna make sure its assembled correctly, despite it coming with instructions!

Here's one that SecaBoy took (thanks mate... lucky you took that photo).

DSC_0066.jpg

oi daryl, when you get the trd, we have to go somewhere together and get a good deal on the intake... :D

Once I get the TRD, everything is going to be done RIGHT.

I'll be getting CES and CES only to work on the intake and exhaust.

:D

Im trying to find out abit on modifing the standard intake on the aurion. ive heard of a few people blocking off the lower resinator etc. DJKOR has done something along those lines (correct me if im wrong).

So im lookin to find out:

how to block off the lower resinator and how this helps

And how to bypass the intake air control valve so that the valve will be open continuously.

ive got some photos on switching the contol valve hoses around so it does this but i am lookin for some more information or what other people have done.

thanks heaps guys!!!

Hi easy way to check airflow and any improvement, place a vacuum gauge before the throttle body, before you do anything, take the car for a run up a steep hill in a low gear on full throttle take your readings (use an assistant) depending on the car this could be any ware from a bad 25 or lower, then check the reading after your intake mods. the bigger the drop the better the improvement. On a car with a very low initial reading very little can be achieved. No change no benefit. If successful you should get more responsive acceleration, increased performance and fuel economy. The better an engine can breath the better it performs. Exhaust back pressure can be checked in much the same way with a pressure gauge stuck in the exhaust where the oxygen sensor normally fits. For more precise findings of the various components on both inlet and exhaust check along the length at various points, before and after each component you want to check by drilling a hole where you need it and later filling it in.

Edited by peregrine

oi daryl, when you get the trd, we have to go somewhere together and get a good deal on the intake... :D

u getting a TRD??? i'm so jealous! trading in the old one i take it?

u getting a TRD??? i'm so jealous! trading in the old one i take it?

I don't know if Daryl wanted to answer this himself but, yeah...

Yoz, Daryl's Aurion came to an end during a tragic accident a few weeks ago now as explained here.

Click...

That's cool Nathan.

I guess you could say that I am trading it in. Not quite the best way to do so unfortunately, but I doubt that I could have traded it in/sold it for the amount it was insured for, so in a way I can look at it on the bright side.

But yeah... CES all the way on this one. No room for effing around. I know for a fact the exhaust is a little too restrictive for the TRD, so this is first to get fixed. An intake is of lower priority on the list, so that will come after.

dont get another varex

dont get another varex

Of course I won't. That was a pointless purchase... but something I'm not ashamed of buying.

Anyways, I'm aiming to keep the exhaust note as tame as possible (if that's even possible). The intake is where I want the noise to be.

DooD! saw the article on your old Aurion, so sorry about what happened to your car, man that thing was awesome!

but like everyone else said, its better the car than you or your dad.

and about the varex, yeh i agree not to get one, after speaking to some really cool guys in perth about the varex, they rekon its a waste of time, because if you want the good performance that comes with an exhaust mod, you shouldn't restrict it by putting one of those mufflers! good luck with your new car, it'll be awesome, i know it!!

LOL whats wrong with the varex's daryl?

i still to this day do not regret buying/using the varex at all... and i would definitely use them on my cars in the future... :)

It was open 95% of the time, and when closed... I could have easily have gone with it open.

For the price I payed for it, I could have got more done to the exhaust. Therefore, when it comes to the TRD, I'm putting the money where it belongs.

So sorry about your car it certainly looked terrific. Hurts like hell to see all that love and care dissipated. However looks like your looking forward to a new challenge with what will no dought be even more awesome and on the good side we no dought will be able to enjoy any info you release on your future onslaught of the next project.

i still to this day do not regret buying/using the varex at all... and i would definitely use them on my cars in the future... :)

It was open 95% of the time, and when closed... I could have easily have gone with it open.

For the price I payed for it, I could have got more done to the exhaust. Therefore, when it comes to the TRD, I'm putting the money where it belongs.

thats exactly what the guy at my exhaust place told me, if i'm gonna be driving it for 95% of the time, might as well put all that money to some high-flow mufflers, and some good stainless piping, rather than waste money on restricting the flow with the variable muffler.

... on restricting the flow with the variable muffler.

Just to debunk that thought, I have run equal 1/4 mile times with the Varex closed compare to open. Thanks to the dual muffler of the Aurion, restriction is reduced.

Each to their own mate. If they want it, they want it.