Size of Middle Seat in 2nd Row of Kluger

Ric M

Hi All,

I'm just after some general feed back about the size of the middle seat in the 2nd row of the new Klugers. We only have 2 kids so won't matter much and we are purchasing the Grande, however would like to know what people think when 3 people are in the 2nd row, has anyone used it on long trips and is it comfortable enough?

Cheers.

I have never sat in it since we bought ours. Ours lives permanently in its little hole below the centre console so the kids acan use tyhe console for their crap and drinks when they have them. The best way to assess it obviously is to sit in it while you are being driven. I tried it when we were evaluating the car but only when the car was in the showroom and not on the road. It doesn't look comfortable due to the narrow design and all reviews that I've read to date suggest that it isn't. But for an occasional seat we're not really worried, and lets face it I won't be sitting in it so I don't care!

Ours operates as a 6-seater which suits our needs.

This seat is fine for my 9 year old (small butt). Have only used it on occassions though when rear seats not in use (being used to carry cargo). Our typical configuration though is as a six seater.

I debated this middle seat long and hard with the mazda CX9 and found that the Kluger was much better and more comfortable. In the end we decided that this seat would be used very sparingly.

We only use our middle seat rarely, and only for small kids. When not in use we stow seat in the back shed. Leaving a cavernous stowage in the car for dvds and headphones. :rolleyes:

Edited by PaulG

I have a skinny wife and she goes there fine. We have a 3.5 and 1.5 year old. I would not say long trip though. The middle seat is taken off when long trip for 5 people and it becomes a walkway to the back seats. So no taking off baby seats either sides.

When we were trying out cars, we had a look at the kluger and the middle seat wasn't that comfy at all. The CX-9's seat was a bit better but then again the CX-9's middle seat isn't that great either. They both feel as if your sitting "on the seat" rather than "in the seat".

Toyota certainly put all their effort into the outer two seats which are great, the middle rear is certainly not brilliant, but it generally never is in vehicles. We have 3 kids seats accross the middle seat (baby, toddler and booster) and it can be a little difficult in securing the middile seat belt as it tends to be under the kids seat which is wider than the middle pew, particualrly when our kids wont sit still!!!. But we manage and the massive list of positives on the Kluger outweighs this small issue.

Cheers, Mark

Toyota certainly put all their effort into the outer two seats which are great, the middle rear is certainly not brilliant, but it generally never is in vehicles. We have 3 kids seats accross the middle seat (baby, toddler and booster) and it can be a little difficult in securing the middile seat belt as it tends to be under the kids seat which is wider than the middle pew, particualrly when our kids wont sit still!!!. But we manage and the massive list of positives on the Kluger outweighs this small issue.

Cheers, Mark

Same here, 3 kids seats and yes it that middle seat was the one sticking point for us (we NEARLY went Territory over this issue). I have sat in the seat briefly and it was alot better than I thought it would be but would not recommend it for long trips. No car is perfect and if the seat is not being used daily then it really is a minor issue. We will have our youngest in a child restraint for another 5 years so wont be an issue with us for a while as we will keep her in the middle position. After that we may need to sell the car if the children refuse to sit in it (and really who could blame them).

Lets hope Toyota rectify this issue in the future (or atleast have the option of a bench seat set up as well as the current one)

Iwantone, my wife has a Territory, the huge list of negatives outweigh the fairly decent middle rear pew, ...you made the right decision.

I know it was the right choice though if we could have taken a Territory seat and put it in the Kluger we would have in an instant.

• 1 month later...
I debated this middle seat long and hard with the mazda CX9 and found that the Kluger was much better and more comfortable. In the end we decided that this seat would be used very sparingly.

The CX-9's middle seat is wider but the Kluger one is much more comfortable on the backrest.