Top Gear Australia

trdsaads

It was pretty average

I didnt like that the set was an exact copy

even having a car in the background on a stand like the Hilux in the english version,

At least wait til the cars been on the show before they trophy it?

I'll keep watching but it felt a bit try hard, and some of the reviews were chopped short

the maybach review was horrible it was like "this car has headphones, the end."

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Holden and Ford thing, Its an Australian show, what did you expect?

I just hope they have a variety of cars. Everything from supercars, to cars thats on the streets often. Dont focus on Commy's and Falcons please!

And yes, it is a hell of alot better than recent Aussie car programs, where they mix cars and useless crap.

Franchises will always be franchises.

At first when I was watching I was a bit skeptical being quite a big fan or the uk one, but i tried to put this aside and judge it for what it was and i thought they did a fair job, they had some moments which i really enjoyed and think they worked really well with what they did. its hard not to make the comparison to the original uk series which has been established for many years. every series has to start somewhere and i feel where they have started is a good starting point.

Im not convinced that the Stig is as quick as he could be as I found it hard to comprehend that the M3 and the AMG were that much slower in comparison to the GTR and other cars tested.

Vince Collosimo - funny man... never experiencing selling a car... and the fact that he drives a saab.... found that interesting...

ah well, thats my 2 bobs worth...

I look forward to the next episode and the season has to bring.

the maybach review was horrible it was like "this car has headphones, the end."

It wasn't a review though. It was a "for a million bucks, you'd expect something special. Instead you get a pimped S-class Merc. What Were They Thinking?". The whole point wasn't to review the car, but more of a "remember this thing from a few years back'.

haha good question.....i've no idea

I feel that the more they try to be like the original, the more expectations the audiences will be.....and if they don't deliver, it will be a dismal failure in the end because it is never easy to simulate the same chemistry that the original show has. Maybe we'll see what top gear america will show? Then we could come to a conclusion haha

I've read these threads on a few forums and there seems to be a real bandwagon of "oMg i'M nEvEr WaTcHiNg ThIs AgAiN iT's So ***** lolololol" :rolleyes:

Guess what..... it's not the same as Top Gear UK. Shock horror. The presenters aren't as experienced and the track is different. And, if you compared budgets the same way you compared penises, SBS is hung like an acorn where as the BBC is packing a Collins Class Submarine down the front of it's dacks. It's not just feasible to compare every facet of the infant Aussie version to the UK/worldwide steamroller. I'm as big a fan as they come of the UK version too but I'll happily watch the boys broadcasting from Bankstown Airport in the knowledge that it's the best thing we've ever had locally.

My only concern is that they'll hold back on the criticism of the cars in order to keep the manufacturers pleased. In my opinion this is what has plagued the Aussie motoring shows of the past.

I've read these threads on a few forums and there seems to be a real bandwagon of "oMg i'M nEvEr WaTcHiNg ThIs AgAiN iT's So ***** lolololol" :rolleyes:

Guess what..... it's not the same as Top Gear UK. Shock horror. The presenters aren't as experienced and the track is different. And, if you compared budgets the same way you compared penises, SBS is hung like an acorn where as the BBC is packing a Collins Class Submarine down the front of it's dacks. It's not just feasible to compare every facet of the infant Aussie version to the UK/worldwide steamroller. I'm as big a fan as they come of the UK version too but I'll happily watch the boys broadcasting from Bankstown Airport in the knowledge that it's the best thing we've ever had locally.

My only concern is that they'll hold back on the criticism of the cars in order to keep the manufacturers pleased. In my opinion this is what has plagued the Aussie motoring shows of the past.

My thoughts exactly. Must be the shared AE102 gene.

The man speaks the truth :D

Sup tatsy

Gonna see you this sunday matey? B)

AE102 representing..... well not any more, but I hold a candle for it.

sharmz you handsome devil! Enterting ToyotaFest? I'm thinking about it. Shoot me a PM man.

:angry:

That maybe so, but SBS surely must have known that there was no way Top Gear Australia could compete with Top Gear UK. Top Gear UK is in another league (or planet for that matter!) and inarguably one of the best TV series to hit the TV. So DON'T go chasing and paying for the rights to affiliate it with TOP GEAR UK!!!! Give THE SERIES ANOTHER NAME for crying out loud!! But it's too late now. Personally, I think its aweful, its embarrassing and it's an injustice for the program to share the same name. I hope it doesn't reach the shores of other countries or star on Top Gear Uk. PUT >LATEST< TOP GEAR UK ON.

It's like saying "We've tried our best to make a performance car, but we know it's not that good and inferior . .. but we'll paint it red and sell it as a Ferrari."

Edited by JG24688

Myself being an avid fan from way back..(before the fat dude was replaced by Capt slow) & its was closely matched with Tiff Needle of Fifth gear

The aussie version I was at first very enthausiastic & couldn't wait ,But the first ep was like .........well boring,Four wheel drives on dunes :huh: & then the long awaited aussie race track 'Clarkson's corner' bordered chicane..dude please!!reminded me of the track from worst driver.Should n't the presenters have ahd dont a fast lap too so they could be compared to the guests?

The main floor an exact copy of the english version..wen did we thrash a Hilux to warrant a place on the floor?shouldn'e we have our own aussie spin on the set..stuffd kanga maybe? Landcruiser 200 series?

ok ok ok settle down...breathe breathe :unsure:

maybe a lil more care on the camera work would be great,Closeup shots of spinning wheels,smoky tyres,the boarded darken lenses??more intricate camera work on the cars would make it feel more like a car show than three blokes trying talk over each other :spiteful:

Ford n Holdens (well we knew this was gonna happen) <_< but what about the european market of the Fiat Abarth,Volvo's,BMW's ..JDM?? new R35,Evo X,Lexus ,well just have to wait dont we? :yahoo:

As for me I will still watch it as I still have faith & motoring shows do need time to mature & place its mark esp if its compared to now 'the most popular car show in the world?' :help::help::help:

Its been only a couple o shows,Have faith & hope this doesn't bomb like its predecesors

:angry:

That maybe so, but SBS surely must have known that there was no way Top Gear Australia could compete with Top Gear UK. Top Gear UK is in another league (or planet for that matter!) and inarguably one of the best TV series to hit the TV. So DON'T go chasing and paying for the rights to affiliate it with TOP GEAR UK!!!! Give THE SERIES ANOTHER NAME for crying out loud!! But it's too late now. Personally, I think its aweful, its embarrassing and it's an injustice for the program to share the same name. I hope it doesn't reach the shores of other countries or star on Top Gear Uk. PUT >LATEST< TOP GEAR UK ON.

If you don't associate it with Top Gear UK, chances are people wouldn't watch it in the first place. You have to agree that no matter how good or bad it was, most people who watched the first episode were watching it because of the Top Gear name.

The car industry is a great example of creating absolute failures out of decent cars just because they changed to an unfamiliar name. Take the Tiida for instance. It's not THAT bad, but because it doesn't have the Pulsar name (the car it replaced) no-one bought the bloody thing. Ford almost had the same problem when they replaced the Laser with the Focus. Mitsubishi replaced the Magna with the 380, and it flopped hugely. Toyota Australia did the smart thing and retained the Corolla name whilst the rest of the world went Auris - if they'd changed too, I doubt sales would have been as good.