Similarities between Lexus LS460 & Aurion

apg39

Just wondering, with the similarities between alot of the Lexus & Toyota range.....does anyone, by ANY chance know if the Lexus LS 460 is similar to the Aurion??

In particular the rear bumper & bootlid.

Looking at the pictures they look fairly close but in real life it could be a different story.

My main reason....I really want quad exhausts, but the cut-out on the Aurion is just on 5" wide, so I'd only be able to fit 2x 2" tips in there with a bit of room between and at the sides so the bumper doesn't melt...a pretty tight squeeze & thats not even taking into account them being double-walled tips so the overall tip size would be 2.5".

If the Lexus bumper lines up correctly (somehow doubt) then I'd get a scratched or used one from ImportMonster, get a lip where the tips will fit, get it resprayed and whosyourdaddy. At worst (and cheapest) I would order the lip, remove the Sportivo one & put that one on instead. The lip in the picture below looks like it will fit dual 2.5" tips easy.

Some pics of what I want it too look like & the rear end of the LS460....

rear.jpg

7.jpg

My other reason...Dont like the Sportivo spoiler, not a huge fan of the duck tail from Ebay...and came across this one, looks pretty good but I dont know if the bootlids are the same.

Pic...

img2small.jpg

........... And another reason. I realise that because they have different headlights, bonnet & grill - a front bumper won't fit. But if the width etc. are similar then I was thinking of getting a spare Aurion bumper, cutting it half way between the bottom of the grill & the lower grill. Then buying the LS460 bumper with a lip and cutting in the same spot...do some plastic surgery and make it all smooth...

Example pic - yes I know the colours dont match, doesn't blend - its just a quickie to see. On the upside - the line where the fender meets the front bumper was the same & the wheel arch matches including the flat edge.

ls460GTfront.jpg

Obviously anything is possible with customising, but I dont have $$$$$$ to throw at it so the less I spend the better. The front will cost a bit to do, I understand that.

Edited by apg39

the lexus range has always looked similar to normal toyotas. thats what $hit$ me the most, because they have all the r&d in the world avaliable to them, the interior and engines are top notch comparable and sometimes better than the germans, but they lack the fuzz ball and eye catch looks the european cars have.

LEXUS i hope YOU find this tread and treat your exterior designers like Mother (the drink) did on the ad to those responsible for the the taste of the old mother drink - throw them out. lol.

the es300 is in the shape of the gen5 camrys, and the new gen6 camry and aurion shapes have striking similarities to both the gs300 & ls400 in terms recycling the boot and bonnet. everything else has been slightly modified like longer doors, different shaped lights, however both have that battleship look.

if you are serious about your mods, i would talk to some technicians at lexus dealers. i have found them to have a little but more time seeing their service schedules are as packed as toyota dealers, if u know someone who works at a lexus dealer, even better! but then again, not saying they will be helpful.

the ls400 bootlids are...mm...a tad too much trouble just for lids? if they dont fit your aurion, a custom made one would be as much as a decent spoiler,unless u know someone?

i reckon saloon sedans look great without spoilers. nice round a$$ fits my just fine hehe

To be honest dude, i think you've got no hope.

I'm no expert by far but since the LS460 is a rear wheel drive V8 i'd hazard a guess that its based on an entirely different chassis. Therefore, in my opinion, the simularities between the Aurion and the LS460 is almost coincidental if not just a family resemblance.

That said, i could be completely wrong. I'd have to say that Lexus are trying to distance themselves more and more from Toyota so to speak in the sense that there are fewer identical cars between them.

I'd research the hell out of it first mate before committing any cash to this exercise. Gotta say i like the idea tho, if only it was that simple...

Edited by Stealth

I'm no expert by far but since the LS460 is a rear wheel drive V8 i'd hazard a guess that its based on an entirely different chassis. Therefore, in my opinion, the simularities between the Aurion and the LS460 is almost coincidental if not just a family resemblance.

RWD leads me to believe the rear bumper might be different even though it looks the same. The only resemblences I need are the rear bumper & front bumper, the rest doesn't bother me......but it would be cool to graft one of the aftermarket 3 glob LED lights they have...

zero_11jp-img600x450-1219145764dpxg.jpg

But in the end- I'll only need the rear lip that is in the second picture, and if the rear end is the same width wise there shouldn't be toooo much hassle. I prefer the smooth bootlid too but Ill have holes there from the Sportivo wing so I'd rather cover it with something subtle than buy an AT-X boot and swap all the bits over or get it filled & repainted.

Front end will be costly but I think it won't be too difficult cos they are similar with & general shape...not like fitting a WRX bumper on a Daihatsu Mira.... :huh:

Edited by apg39

Ok slight change.....been informed by some other at Toyota Nation that the Aurion/Camry is similar in size to the Lexus GS....so even though it looks different, the width is the same. PLUS they make the same style front bumper for the GS as well.........just got to source a rear lip to fit.

How about Custom one, just like this..? I think this looks pretty similar to those Lexus. ;)

imba1ux9.th.jpgthpix.gif

imba2qh5.th.jpgthpix.gif

Just make it a bit 'fat' like our Aurion...

And It'll be F*kin sweeettttt...

• 2 months later...

The two models are quite different. If you want to see an Aurion with Lexus badges go to the US Lexus web site and check out the Lexus ES350. It is pretty much an Aurion Presara with some extra goodies like a radar in the front hooked up to an adaptive cruise control and a full glass roof that give the rear seat passengers their own moonroof etc. Unfortunately the ES isn't available in Australia at the moment.

Edited by FMT