ABOUT PAINT protection & Glaze Guard

william83

HI, everyone:

I just ordered aurion touring two days ago, and dealers ask me to buy the PAINT protection & Glaze Guard.

It is so expensive, but dealer tell me it is worthy to pay for it.

I used to live in Taiwan before, so I don't know wether the sun of Austalia will damage the car paint or no.

Does PAINT protection & Glaze Guard really work or just trickery?

Should I buy this ?

Thx!

Welcome to TOCA.

Basically it all comes down to do you think its worth it or not?

In my opinion I think that its a total waste of money since paint on brand new cars these days aren't as bad as back then.

I would rather spend that $1000+ or so on buying really good car care products and look after the car myself regularly.

Guess if your to lazy too do that then, why not go with paint protection?

It's all up to you in the end! :)

Dealership prices are over inflated, get the same thing done for 1/3 rd of the price.

There is many businesses out there that do the paint protection for these major car companys. I opted out getting it on my XR6 UTE from the dealership. lucky because i spoke to a guy that does it for Ford. And he quoted me $380. Like a $600 saving. That was for the full package. They clean you car down to get rid of that micro dust that sticks to your paint on hot days. Then they apply the substance on the exterior, the same one they claim at the dealership that eats away bird poo, stops fading etc etc. In the package they also do you interior, stop leather cracking, etc etc.

There is alot of these companys around the place that do this, and they all have like 15 year warrantys on paint protection and liftime warranty on leather, and cracking. But when you think about it, how many people keep their car for this long. But is a good deal for ya dollar compared to the dealerships.

Im gonna get mine done after i get my lip kit put on. Im gonna look around brissey a bit more to see if i can get a better price. Ill post up some info when i find a good deal for the brissy boys.

Cost aside, Does paint protection actually bad for the car?

I wonder if you have an accident , and there's a dent on the car, So it needs to be fixed up by the panel beaters, Won't the surronding areas of the dent where it has paint protection will also cracked from the "beating". I know at the end they repaint it and recoat the paint protection on that area. But with the paint protection will it be harder to blend everything in.

Anyone have any experience in regards to paint protection and subsequent accident that needs to be fixed up by panel beaters.

Thanks

Cost aside, Does paint protection actually bad for the car?

I wonder if you have an accident , and there's a dent on the car, So it needs to be fixed up by the panel beaters, Won't the surronding areas of the dent where it has paint protection will also cracked from the "beating"....

The paint protection isnt 'THAT POWERFUL' as you think.. they procedure is just like normal detailing, that's all.. It is like wax/polish, it will stay on the car for just a while, like max 3 months??(dealer said) and which i already think is impossible UNLESS u dont drive the car out..

yes, your dealer will say like if the 'protection' wear off, you go back to them, and they re-apply.. which i think it means, doing the detailing again.. and i think you still goin to pay for it~

BUT i dont trust dealer with detailing, last time they wash my car(free service), which i think works as waterless-car wash, and my car-black was full of swirl marks due to their "New Technology".. and nothing they can do about it..

and my friend's rav4 was scratched 4cm length and they didn't even bother apologizing..

p/s: if u hv the money, and if u think u gonna regret coz of us here suggested you against it in future, then do it.. No harm.. UNLESS they do "cut" do the car during detailing, then i definitely say no to that, as you said, it is still new, there is no need for that now..

believe it or not, as i have the spare money coz i got a bigg discount when purchasing, i only pay less than half their price for protection, BCOZ it is JUST DETAILING!!! Tinting also the same, give them the price u got from cheapest possible, they will match it!! These are what i did..

The paint protection offer was given to us for free, when my wife ask for it because of some very minor issue during the delivery of the car. Initially they were offering some accessories.

At first they offer us some accessories but my wife blurted out paint protection ( as we know women get suck into such things. :) ). Initial purchase I told the lady Í didn't want their protection offering since I don't believe in it.

But thought since they are giving it for free, so just take it.

But then I spent some time on the internet (The Evil of internet!!). Gee EVeryone seems to have nothing good to say about paint protection. Bear in mind, both my parents car got the paint protection done in the past and know countless other parents get them on their cars. (Man the dealers are making a killing with the paint protection stuff. :) )

Issues that worries me was once there's paint protection I will not be able to wax,polished the car anymore.

ANyway, got the paint protection swap for head lamp + bonnect protector and boot liner. According to toyota's manufacturer price (Not dealers marked up price) they are in total around $280 dollars.

Well looks like I short changed myself, from $795 paint protection to only $280 worth of accessories basing on the RRP prices. LOL! :)

Cheers,

These dealer extras are all a con to get more margin out of the sale. Do not buy them. it's a well worn trick after the contract is signed walk the punter round to service dept and take more money for rust protection paint protection anything at all it doesnt matter to make a dollar.

buy yourself a detailing kit for $200 and DIY.

i dont really suggest this.. unless u are GOOD at it.. If not, your paint will be worse than before and 'repairing' will be the same cost as re-paint the car..

paint protection doesn't really work

we already have yellow bird poo marks

the lady certainly talk of protecting from bird poo but I bet its in the long list of exclusions lol

is there a technique to wash it off?

I heard something about applying some wax and rub (even though you normally clean the car thoroughly first)

they gave us a small bottle of "reviver"

which I applied one month after delivery

got the car smooth again, after a few rainy days...gone

after that got lazy and didn't wash the car for a month (honey moon was over and so did the weekly car wash)

just clean it today and found yellow marks behind the bird poo

P.S. I read the forum before we bought the car but family insisted on getting paint protection (it was over $1000 and came with a electric rust prevention thingy)

Edited by tekkyy

like everyone else has said, it's not worth it. it is only a middle-grade polish they use for it, which will last a month or two in our weather conditions. usually as a part of the warranty of the paint protection stuff, you HAVE to go back on the anniversary date to have it re-done which is apparently of no further cost to you, as you've already paid the initial price (as steep as it is).

again, like everyone else has said, buy $200 worth of goodcar detailing products and spend a few hours each month. not only will it be more rewarding, but you'll learn how to clean a car properly.

• 4 weeks later...
...buy $200 worth of good car detailing products...

What would y'all recommend for $100? I'm considering Mothers NXT.

I already have microfibre cloths.

I haggled with this bloke for the job, but he wouldn't throw in the used towels after the job was complete...so stuff him, I'll do it myself!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-892782202661869342

Edited by boxerboy

...buy $200 worth of good car detailing products...

What would y'all recommend for $100? I'm considering Mothers NXT.

It all really depends on your preferences and how you clean your car. Everybody usually thinks differently about different products. I wash my car at a self-serve car wash and use a microfibre mitt to clean it. Usually spend no more than $4 per wash. When I get home, I then wax my car.

One thing I would recommend having is a 'Quick Clay' kit. You can pick them up for around $30 in either the Meguiars or Mothers brand. You only need to do this every couple/few months, and one kit should last 2-3 uses on average.

During the colder months, I use Meguiars NTX 2.0 paste wax. Costs about $50 per tin, but will provide many coats. This stuff gives a really deep gloss, but it's protection wears out fairly fast. I always reapply it weekly.

During the warmer months (definitely now), I use a wax called 'Sonax Xtreme Wax No 1'. It costs around $35 from Repco. This is a very hard wearing wax and provides good protection, especially when it rains. A good thing about this wax is that it dries extremely fast. Most waxes dry in about 20-25 minutes. Sonax on the other hand only needs 5 or less. It also requires less application than other waxes.

That's just my preferences anyways.

During the warmer months (definitely now), I use a wax called 'Sonax Xtreme Wax No 1'. It costs around $35 from Repco. This is a very hard wearing wax and provides good protection, especially when it rains. A good thing about this wax is that it dries extremely fast. Most waxes dry in about 20-25 minutes. Sonax on the other hand only needs 5 or less. It also requires less application than other waxes.

Sounds just the ticket. I might check it out. Thanks.

autoglym bodywork shampoo, then good clay, then autolgym aqua wax, then autoglym super resin polish, then autoglym extra gloss protection

you'll cream your pants biggrin.gif

That sounds like it'll take all day :blink: However if the cream helps the shine....should I wear terry towelling pants? :spiteful: Edited by boxerboy

autoglym bodywork shampoo, then good clay, then autolgym aqua wax, then autoglym super resin polish, then autoglym extra gloss protection

That sounds like it'll take all day :blink: However if the cream helps the shine....should I wear terry towelling pants? :spiteful:

It may take all day and leave you with a sore arm, but it's worth it. That is a good approach to take when you aren't doing it every week. Me on the other hand, I always wash my car at least once a week and add another layer of wax every Thursday. Every two months, I use a wax cleaner to strip all traces of wax off, then I clay it, followed by a deep polish, then a sealing wax such as Meguiars Mirror Glaze Yellow Wax.

That sounds like it'll take all day :blink: However if the cream helps the shine....should I wear terry towelling pants? :spiteful:

It may take all day and leave you with a sore arm, but it's worth it. That is a good approach to take when you aren't doing it every week. Me on the other hand, I always wash my car at least once a week and add another layer of wax every Thursday. Every two months, I use a wax cleaner to strip all traces of wax off, then I clay it, followed by a deep polish, then a sealing wax such as Meguiars Mirror Glaze Yellow Wax.

yep. i used to do it once a week, but got over it. so i started using more products to get a more permanent finish. so now i'm just doing it once a month. and yeah, it takes me about 9 hours to do it all (including drying, etc.)

however, it lasts MUCH longer than a month (in "decent" weather, it would last at least 3), but i'm just picky. using this process, and a wash with the autoglym shampoo once a week keeps it looking smooth