corolla stivo and type r

This topic pops up every now and then..

The stivo isn't built to be a car that is happy either on the road or on track. It still is a corolla with a bit more go. Toyota didn't put in the R&D for the stivo as Honda did into the Type R's. For example, there are quite a few differences between the dc2 and the dc2r. Engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc is all diff. The Type R is pretty much built from the ground up where as a stivo started as a shopping trolley :P .

But there's nothing a few mods can't change ;) . And I drive a stivo too :)

EP3 ftw!!!!!

Damn right... I was actually considering buying one recently until I worked out that they still go for over 25 large...and that's a 7 yr old car with at least 60,000 on the clock!

But yes, EP3 Type R pwns Stivo... 2 litre engine, 200 kgs lighter, IRS, LSD, Recaro interior, short shifter as stock...

I still want a Stivo though...

Stivo's are KVLT.

(Edit: Loving the look of your's atm, Andy B) )

Edited by Leroy

I drove me mate's dc5r and would have to say the power delivery is more linear and v-tec screams....

Having said that, I drive an 03 stivo with CAI and Ported Headers only. No Hondata or Buddy Club Spec 4 exhaust (Stivo Equivalent) like me mate had as well on top of the mods i had and I thought it drives pretty well. I get low and mid range torque as well as LIFT power when I want it. Anything more and it would reach speeds not suitable for safe road driving anyways

:lol: :lol: (insert Sifu Habib here)

Oh, I also drove BKS's stivo with CAI, Headers, Cat-Back Zorst, Tuned ECU ............. definately kick ***** too!!! Can't freaking wait till he finishes his tuning sometime next month then I'm sure the power will be comparable to any DC5R. :P :P :P :P :P :P

Or else, there is always xoom xoom xoom !!! :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap::toast: :toast: :toast: :toast:

ah this topic cracks me up every time it comes up

i mean ur comparing apples with oranges if ur comparing the stivo to an ITR ..... its like saying Evo vs ITR ..... now throw it up against a civic type-r rather than the teg and it makes for a far more interesting comparison ;-) ..... stock v stock yeah the CTR does have the edge .... as has been stated it has been engineered to be performance tuned.

now wen we look @ the comparison though the stivo vs CTR isnt far off which is pretty funny in all honesty considering toyota put ZERO effort into R&D for the stivo.

Now throw some mods into the mix and well u have a completely different ball game ..... ill pit my sportivo against any type-r running its factory engine ..... none of this K24A conversion rubbish :P :P :P .... i might as well throw the fensport corolla into the mix if people want to introduce engine conversions .... where does it stop .... lol

Anyway ...... Now back to some facts ..... As there has been no clear CTR testing done in Aus that i am aware of i can only go on whats been done over in europe where the Corolla T-Sport (CTS) has been put head to head with the Civic Type-R (CTR) ..... Below should provide a lot with a fair amount of education .... DONT BE LAZY AND READ IT !!!!!!! it will give u some answers

Heres a good educational video which compares the CTR vs CTS vs Clio

http://video.filestube.com/video,703968029ca5842303e9.html

For those that dont wanna watch it here is the outcome

corolla

0-40MPH Accel: 4.85 sec

40MPH - 0 Decel: 2.41 sec

Around the track: 55.7 sec

clio

0-40MPH Accel: 5.2 sec

40MPH - 0 Decel: 2 sec

Around the track: 51.3 sec

civic

0-40MPH Accel: 5.8 sec

40MPH - 0 Decel: just over 2 sec's

Around the track: 49.5 sec

whats interesting is the acceleration comparison ;)

Heres a test done by a mob in Germany

toyota-sportivo-test2-1.jpg

Heres a good write up done from the UK - Check out what i have circled in red on page 2.

toyota-sportivo-test_Page_1.jpg

toyota-sportivo-test_Page_2.jpg

toyota-sportivo-test_Page_3.jpg

toyota-sportivo-test_Page_4.jpg

^^ i've seen few of them before but missed the driven show. interesting how jason plato - who is a very respected driver - found the t sport brakes good yet you see all the lil boys complaining about them. why didnt toyota fit the optional springs then the results would have been different and i would say with decent tyres on instead of the economy based turanza's fitted to the original the cts and ctr would have been much closer. i dont think he turned the tc off neither which makes a big difference.

them 3 muppets they got to test the cars - they just picked the easiest to drive and couldnt keep it in lift between shifts LOL

Edited by AE102

^^ i've seen few of them before but missed the driven show. interesting how jason plato - who is a very respected driver - found the t sport brakes good yet you see all the lil boys complaining about them. why didnt toyota fit the optional springs then the results would have been different and i would say with decent tyres on instead of the economy based turanza's fitted to the original the cts and ctr would have been much closer. i dont think he turned the tc off neither which makes a big difference.

And thats exactly my point ..... the difference is marginal and thats with all the budget equipment on the CTS .....

them 3 muppets they got to test the cars - they just picked the easiest to drive and couldnt keep it in lift between shifts LOL

hahahahahah yeah was funny that one of the dudes struggled to keep it in the high cam from 3->4 i think it was ...... i dunno if they relise u can rev it out to 8200 rpms ...... lol

From my personal experience:

DC2-VTiR < Sportivo

DC2-R >> Sportivo (JDM B18C5 is an amazing engine!)

EP3-R >>> Sportivo (we're screwed!)

DC5-R > Sportivo (not by much, but it's got LSD and is lighter than DC5S)

DC5-S => Sportivo (the DC5S is a monster off VTEC YO, but you can just edge away from it in lift)

CTR < Sportivo (heavy luxo egg...)

Cheers, Gav.

interesting read, just one question. im assuming all the referrals to CTR are referring to the EP3. Any experiences / info on how the stivo compares against the newer FD2s ? might as well throw in the civic vti-r hatches and coupes (EK's & EM1's) as they would probably be a more suitable car to compare to the stivo.

also theres been no mention of price bar from Leroy's comment. considering the equipment the stivo comes with whilst comparing it to both the ITR and CTR(EP3), the stivo comes out way ahead in terms of value for money.

yeah i must agree that type r's are faster than stivo's in everyway. but i seen a few video clips where the stivo keeps up wif an ep3 but still lost. :( o wellz mod the stivo yo :D TRD power hahahaha

...Any experiences / info on how the stivo compares against the newer FD2s...

I'm waiting for one of these to do some laps at Queensland Raceway for comparison.

FD 2???

I assume you mean FN2 (the sci-fi hamster shape)...

The FD 2 is the sedan version which isn't sold here (which incidentally is SUPERB - check out the youtube vid. Faster lap time around Suzuka than an FD rx7 and R34!!)

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!
Edited by Leroy

...Any experiences / info on how the stivo compares against the newer FD2s...

I'm waiting for one of these to do some laps at Queensland Raceway for comparison.

FD 2???

I assume you mean FN2 (the sci-fi hamster shape)...

The FD 2 is the sedan version which isn't sold here (which incidentally is SUPERB - check out the youtube vid. Faster lap time around Suzuka than an FD rx7 and R34!!)

whoops, yeh my bad. meant the FN2. yeh the FD2 absolutely flies around track. pity they aren't sold here in Aus !

the things i would do for a Mugen RR FD2 :toast:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/28/officia...civic-mugen-rr/

did u guyz know toyota released a very rare 168kw ttr/trd stivo rolla in about 05 i only ever sore 1 but i know they exist im sure that would have been faster then the type r

yeah they did cause i enquied bout it it was like $50000+ 20g's more then the standard stivo i think it was 1g for every kw it had more then the standard 1

i dont know much bout type r or stivos, thats why i spent 20k on a conquest and not a stivo, cause i thought stivos were just corollas with side skirts....oh well. but what i do know is this honda rules the aftermarket fwd world and always will, its all about street cred. corolla im sorry but your soft

i dont know much bout type r or stivos, thats why i spent 20k on a conquest and not a stivo, cause i thought stivos were just corollas with side skirts....oh well. but what i do know is this honda rules the aftermarket fwd world and always will, its all about street cred. corolla im sorry but your soft

i think u mixed up sportivo with levin :(