Experimental Exhaust System

Tofuboi

Any updates/extra details on the custom exhaust system would be much appreciated.

Personally I have been thinking of getting a high-flow cat with 2-2"1/4 exhuast with two Varex mufflers - possibly resonator removed (fearful of too much droning though - getting mixed answers here about this).

But now that I've heard that clip of the twin SuperCat mufflers it has me second-guessing the Varex. Despite the obious benefits of the Varex system, the SuperCats sound more raspy and thats the what I love (or is this just the result of the resonator being removed?)

Finally, biggest fear of a high-flow cat back setup is the loss of power through lack of backpressure etc. Anyone know for sure that any of these setups wont cause a loss of power or a significant drop in the torque curve down low?

As i have removed the resonator and running stock mufflers (for now) there has not been any loss of torque down low, naturally if you open up the exhaust too much you will lose this torque.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any updates/extra details on the custom exhaust system would be much appreciated.

Personally I have been thinking of getting a high-flow cat with 2-2"1/4 exhuast with two Varex mufflers - possibly resonator removed (fearful of too much droning though - getting mixed answers here about this).

But now that I've heard that clip of the twin SuperCat mufflers it has me second-guessing the Varex. Despite the obious benefits of the Varex system, the SuperCats sound more raspy and thats the what I love (or is this just the result of the resonator being removed?)

Finally, biggest fear of a high-flow cat back setup is the loss of power through lack of backpressure etc. Anyone know for sure that any of these setups wont cause a loss of power or a significant drop in the torque curve down low?

As i have removed the resonator and running stock mufflers (for now) there has not been any loss of torque down low, naturally if you open up the exhaust too much you will lose this torque.

Thanks for the feedback. Any other advice and feedback on my other questions/concerns from anyone?

todays latest trial, bolted one of the triple flow mufflers back on the right side leaving the other stock just to hear if it was too loud or if there was any droning. the answer to both was to my suprise NO ! it was a better quality sound, so i will replace the other one next week, see how that goes.

todays latest trial, bolted one of the triple flow mufflers back on the right side leaving the other stock just to hear if it was too loud or if there was any droning. the answer to both was to my suprise NO ! it was a better quality sound, so i will replace the other one next week, see how that goes.

Sound clip!

Sound clip! will do, should be up by next weekend.

Ok fitted the other sport muffler on and same problem as before only louder. As I liked the sound that one sport muffler made, Im going to put myself out on a limb and fit one sport muffler somewhere behind the cat, retain the hotdog before the split, and straight pipes from there, with the option of small resonators if required. low on dough a the moment so not sure when this will be completed, maybe next week.

booked in tomorrow for hopefully the last part of the mod, another sport muffler after the cat, and either use the 2 sport mufflers on the back, or if it turns to crap put the stock ones back on replacing the crappy tips. want it ready for the Tassie Cruise next weekend. may wait till the cruise to get video.

booked in tomorrow for hopefully the last part of the mod, another sport muffler after the cat, and either use the 2 sport mufflers on the back, or if it turns to crap put the stock ones back on replacing the crappy tips. want it ready for the Tassie Cruise next weekend. may wait till the cruise to get video.

latest trial was a failure, the triple flow muffler after the cat was a good result, but the rear triple flow mufflers were wrong, too large diameter, got the stock ones on, there is a note there, will remove the restrictive tail pieces with 2inch pipes.

• 3 weeks later...

Given time to burn in the triple flow muffler is working well, and the stock mufflers are sounding better with the stock tailpipes cut off and new oval tips. The next job is to remove the hotdog just before the rear Y to give it a few more DB's. Picking up new video camera today so some vision coming soon.

• 2 months later...

The latest on the exhaust. Mod y pipe, stock cat, triple flow muffler where the resonator was, and bolt on 1 3/4 inch pipes with 2 inch stainless steel perforated tips. working well ( video soon) as for the problem with droning in the Aurion i believe it to be caused by vibration of the air in the voids inside the bumper and the inside of the rear guards. I have packed these areas with foam ( get offcuts ) stops alot of the noise.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So I'm gonna go with the supercat mufflers and have been quoted 170 a side with extensions made up to the flanges.

My question would I be better of getting the 2.25in mufflers over the 2.5in to retain the torque or it won't matter either way

thanks