Experimental Exhaust System

Tofuboi

^ Heck yeah. That's mad. The thing that has me interested the most is just the fact you have the engine sitting there running. It's the un-naturalness of it all :lol:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm building my own car, a 2-seat mid-engine spaceframe chassis, which is similar in concept to an Ariel Atom. I purchased an Aurion and removed the engine as shown.

Before photo (= unhappy wife) testing my unnecessary wire removing skills:

imageerf.jpg

After photo (= not unhappy wife ...) testing my skills at leaving in wires required to run the engine:

imagebbq.jpg

Setup for engine testing:

imagekcc.jpg

imageqxd.jpg

Result ... if only this were road legal:

Just thought you might all like the sound!

I may have the unique exhaust problem, in that the back of the engine is the back of the car. I need my exhaust to be modified so that the final cat and any mufflers are much further forward.

I'll go see what the guys doing MR2 conversions have been up to ...

thats wicked talk about bench testing !

s**t yeah, I can't wait to see how you get on with this!

Kinda a shame that it won't be road legal though. Why not just find a cheap car close to the shape you want and drop it in that?

Kinda a shame that it won't be road legal though. Why not just find a cheap car close to the shape you want and drop it in that?

I do recall him saying this:

Good prices there for pretty much brand new parts. Good luck.

Man, I thought you were just doing an engine/drivetrain swap on your AT-X to build something wicked in an Aurion form factor. From the looks of it, you are completely changing the look of the car. I'm so curious now.

Nothing at all like an Aurion ...

a032.jpg

(this is not
my
car, just an image for you)

The 2GR-FE engine goes in the back, where it belongs.

The chassis will be made from mild steel tubes.

It will have no bodywork, windscreen or airconditioning (accept the right foot 'fan speed' control).

It will
both be registered to drive on the road and comply with CAMS to race on the track

It will be extremely light weight and have a power to weight ratio of 450 HP per tonne! Hence the username.

As a result, I don't need these and other parts from the Aurion (just the engine, transmission & electronics). Once I have removed the parts I need, I will also get rid of the Aurion shell.

I do recall him saying this:

Good prices there for pretty much brand new parts. Good luck.

Man, I thought you were just doing an engine/drivetrain swap on your AT-X to build something wicked in an Aurion form factor. From the looks of it, you are completely changing the look of the car. I'm so curious now.

Nothing at all like an Aurion ...

a032.jpg

(this is not
my
car, just an image for you)

The 2GR-FE engine goes in the back, where it belongs.

The chassis will be made from mild steel tubes.

It will have no bodywork, windscreen or airconditioning (accept the right foot 'fan speed' control).

It will
both be registered to drive on the road and comply with CAMS to race on the track

It will be extremely light weight and have a power to weight ratio of 450 HP per tonne! Hence the username.

As a result, I don't need these and other parts from the Aurion (just the engine, transmission & electronics). Once I have removed the parts I need, I will also get rid of the Aurion shell.

DJKOR, you're faster on the search than I am!

The car it is going into will by my own design, with a similar concept to the Ariel Atom. I know about cars, but want to build one to learn more (and improve motorsport job prospects?).

I was going to have a bit more fun with the image this time though ... and use this one to explain it:

photo_drive1.gif

The exhaust on this one could be worse than droning, if it were women doing the work ...

But seriously, I will need to make it street and CAMS legal (but not a dB under if I can help it!).

Edited by 450HP/tonne

Having never built a car myself (you are living the dream mate!!), how complicated would it be to make this road legal? I mean if people can get defected for having the wrong suspension, it seems like a litigation nightmare!

Having never built a car myself (you are living the dream mate!!), how complicated would it be to make this road legal? I mean if people can get defected for having the wrong suspension, it seems like a litigation nightmare!

As the vehicles 'manufacturer' it is quite easy in that I can specify almost anything I want! The registration approval process for an ICV (individually constructed vehicle) is simpler than many engine swaps and some suspension modifications - and cheaper too!

What is looked at closely is the rigidity of the frame, quality of construction, checking for control arm defects (if not off the shelf they need X-Ray crack testing) and durability of components used (ie suspension bushes required as they last longer than ball joints). Other than that, if you meed the ADRs you pass. If the seatbelt has an ADR approval tag, the it ticks the box. Another example is that I am not using any of the Aurion lamps, so had to buy all ADR approved lamps and indicators. More info here.

Sorry for hijacking the thread ...

holy guacamole! i wanna see this on the 1/4 mile! :lol:

edit: omg and you're in melbourne! CAN I COME LOOK SEE? :lol:

I'll go on a cruise day once it is done. If you can keep up, you can see it!

Just to scare you ... calculated 0-200km/h time is 10.2 seconds. I'm working on some weight reductions to improve that, plus trying to source the right manual transmission to get it under 10.

Just to scare you ... calculated 0-200km/h time is 10.2 seconds. I'm working on some weight reductions to improve that, plus trying to source the right manual transmission to get it under 10.

ohmy.gif

You should be documenting all this by video so you can sell your story.

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

im interested to see how you gonna keep the wheels from loosing traction. don't think its gonna be a front wheel drive like the aurions, bunny hops FTW! :lol:

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

fuk mick, where do u get these hilarious pictures? lol :lol:

I think I have found the problem with the noise up front. I have to move the flex further back behind the main cat,its too close to the merge, the mixing of the exhaust gas at this point creating the buzz in the flex.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have put the original mufflers back on for now, wasn't entirely happy with the note 1400rpm and below. so back to the drawing board. Has anyone tried stock mufflers without the resonator ?

I noticed when changing the mufflers that the stock extensions and mufflers are 1 3/4 inch and the mod ones were built 2 1/2 inch that is where the problem was with flow through the mufflers at low revs causing the deep rumble in the muffler and not out of it. going to remove the mod resonator and either just have straight through to stock mufflers or a single 2 1/2 sport muffler up front down to the stock mufflers to keep some back pressure and keep it tame.

removed the mod resonator and there was a small change in the sound, not as much as first thought. so i have the Y mod, factory cat, the hot dog just before the rear Y aand the stock mufflers.

My experimental exhaust is here ..... http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30173

Im at work so cant find youtube link due to restrictions.

Sounds about the same as twin SuperCat mufflers. You never really get too much variation between different 'sports mufflers' with these cars until you start messing with the middle resonator and/or front y-pipe.

Sounds about the same as twin SuperCat mufflers. You never really get too much variation between different 'sports mufflers' with these cars until you start messing with the middle resonator and/or front y-pipe.

When i got this done they is 2 cats at the front ??

Well they removed one of them i believe..... Im thinking about having it hoisted up and changed some more, they suggested they could change to a 'hotdog' but ill prob get drone, best to leave as is i believe

When i got this done they is 2 cats at the front ??

Well they removed one of them i believe.....

There are 3 cats in total. One on the front bank of 3 cylinders, one on the rear bank of three cylinders, and one underneath the firewall area before the hotdog resonator. If they really did remove a cat, they would have remve the last one in the line. It is a fairly free flowing cat as it is, so I don't see why they bothered to remove it.

Im thinking about having it hoisted up and changed some more, they suggested they could change to a 'hotdog' but ill prob get drone, best to leave as is i believe

The general outcome from most people who removed their resonator was extra cabin noise in the form of drone. You also get a little raspieness, but it's not overly an issue under load. The following video is of Rowan's (ELEGNT) ex-Aurion with twin SuperCat mufflers at the rear and resonator removed:

Any updates/extra details on the custom exhaust system would be much appreciated.

Personally I have been thinking of getting a high-flow cat with 2-2"1/4 exhuast with two Varex mufflers - possibly resonator removed (fearful of too much droning though - getting mixed answers here about this).

But now that I've heard that clip of the twin SuperCat mufflers it has me second-guessing the Varex. Despite the obious benefits of the Varex system, the SuperCats sound more raspy and thats the what I love (or is this just the result of the resonator being removed?)

Finally, biggest fear of a high-flow cat back setup is the loss of power through lack of backpressure etc. Anyone know for sure that any of these setups wont cause a loss of power or a significant drop in the torque curve down low?