Toyota Avalon is back

maso_01993

i found the new 2009 Avalon. it has a 3.5L V6 with 268hp (200kw) with a six speed automatic which i think is from the Aurion. it is also front wheel drive. not sure if it is only available in America.

here it is - http://www.toyota.com/avalon/photo-gallery.html

Edited by maso_01993

i found the new 2009 Avalon. it has a 3.5L V6 with 268hp (200kw) with a six speed automatic which i think is from the Aurion. it is also front wheel drive. not sure if it is only available in America.

here it is - http://www.toyota.com/avalon/photo-gallery.html

Have seen these later model Avalons in the Middle East and they really do look very classy and nothing like the dated thing we were given for Australia. They are very Lexus looking and the inside quality looks better than Camry/Aurion.

IMO, 2009 avalon is a twin brother of aurion because the engine spec is same.

I found engine info of 2009 avalon as below:

Configuration : Type 3.5L V-6 268 HP

Displacement : 3,456 cc 3.5 liters

Bore / Stroke : 94.0 mm bore, 83.1 mm stroke, 10.8 compression ratio

Valvetrain : double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder 2GR-FE

Fuel feed : Multi-point injection fuel system

Performance : Power: 200 kW , 268 HP SAE @ 6,200 rpm; 248 ft lb , 336 Nm @ 4,700 rpm

Full spec is on 2009 Avalon Spec

Personally, it's not my taste tho..

As much as I'm not a fan of the style the the Avalon has going with it, the exterior sure has some pimping potential. The cruiser in the second photo is hot; so much so that I would actually drive one like that (minus the cop lights and decals):

New avalons at sema (thread from 2005)

New avalon..

0199.jpg

0131.jpg

0128.jpg

1991.jpg

equally impressive as the avalon...

1992.jpg

Sort of reminds me of a Lincoln in a way. Definitely looks to be a car for an older person though.

I agree. I sat in one before i got an Aurion and it just felt suited for older people. Everything from the design of the wooden parts to the dash/nav buttons. I could have gotten it, But then i found out it was the same exact engine as the Aurion, And the Avalon just felt bigger to me so i figured it would be slower due to weight and body shape. Aurion is definitely sportier and I'm happy with the choice i made!.

THANK GOD though i didn't get the 2008 Avalon..., Because just recently they beefed up the Avalons here in the middle east upto 280HP "Maybe so it can keep up with the Aurion?". I would have been ****** if i had already gotten the inferior one. God i hate it when car companies do this, Its just not right.

As much as I'm not a fan of the style the the Avalon has going with it, the exterior sure has some pimping potential. The cruiser in the second photo is hot; so much so that I would actually drive one like that (minus the cop lights and decals):

New avalons at sema (thread from 2005)

New avalon..

0199.jpg

0131.jpg

0128.jpg

1991.jpg

equally impressive as the avalon...

1992.jpg

actually it looks good when they are done up.

Why on earth would they bring back a car with the same name that has historically brought such negative attention?

Avalon died long ago, and for very good reasons... They should have brought it back with a new name that at least leaves history where it is.

• 3 years later...

The American Avalon is a slightly different beast to the australian version. It has been a mainstay of the American toyota mark from the early to mid 90's all the way up to today. The australian Avalon was a reworked Camry based sedan. The Australian car died in 2005 due to lack of enthusiasm from the market but the U.S. model continues to sell. I myself was not really at the Avalon as a car personally but as the add said 'Avalon drive and you'll never turn back'. It is a well refined and finished vehicle which has plenty of power and handels well for its size and weight.