Timing Belt SDV10

KamryKruizer

just had a yak to my local mechanic who has just done a tranny service on the wifes camry.

i mentioned i will book it in soon to do the timing belt and associated seals/gaskets as i don't know when it was done

he says "roughly 600-650"

that sound right to anyone i know its a little tight in there room wise but it seems a little excessive.

KK

SDV10... sounds like the 4 banger?

Depending on how many kms it's done, then I'd say that's normal.

He'd have to be replacing sparkies, idle pulley, water pump, timing belt, all oil flushes and all the normal bits and pieces to be around that amount. It's the 3VZFEs (V6s) that can take the time, sometimes requires 2 people to help.

If you ask around, you might find it slightly cheaper. If he does the works on the car and he does a good job, I'd be sticking with that.

Yeah normally they replace the water pump when they have the engine in a few bits. The last thing you'd want is to blow the water pump and know that the timing belt etc has to come off so you can replace it :P Easier to spend 30 bucks or whatever on the part than to spend a couple of hundred on labour replacing it.

Yeah normally they replace the water pump when they have the engine in a few bits. The last thing you'd want is to blow the water pump and know that the timing belt etc has to come off so you can replace it :P Easier to spend 30 bucks or whatever on the part than to spend a couple of hundred on labour replacing it.

Yep, always cheaper to D.I.Y as long as you know what you are doing haha.

That price would have to depend on what he's planning to change along with the belt...

You're best off replacing the:

Timing Belt

Idler Pulley

Cam Seal

Crank Seal

Oil Pump Seal

Oil Pump Gasket

Water Pump

Most of those parts it's ok to use non genuine but I will only ever use genuine water pumps as I've seen so many aftermarket pumps fail and leak prematurely...

Prices can vary between $550-$700 depending if genuine parts are used but mine was aroun that mark as well, theres no point in doing the timing belt then two months later the water pump goes, labour is the killer so u might as well hit it on the head all at once

That price would have to depend on what he's planning to change along with the belt...

You're best off replacing the:

Timing Belt

Idler Pulley

Cam Seal

Crank Seal

Oil Pump Seal

Oil Pump Gasket

Water Pump

Most of those parts it's ok to use non genuine but I will only ever use genuine water pumps as I've seen so many aftermarket pumps fail and leak prematurely...

I'd agree to that. I'd also only use an OEM toyota dealer timing belt as well though, due to people I know that have had aftermarket ones fail.