Pet Birds.. Car?

laurenml

Well since my R/c Heli topic is sooo popular and all to the point its almost dead i'm just wondering whether anyone out there besides from me have a pet bird that they drive around. Just wondering whether theres another way of taking my friend along without him sitting on my shoulder especially when there are cops around.

Ta-ta

xoxo

I have a pet Cockatiel that likes to go for drives in the car. He always sits on the dash though and usually runs from side to side. He likes to chew at the demister vents though. Haven't had issues with cops yet. If I ever need to keep him out of view or if he really annoys me by getting in the way, I put him in the little area where the speedo is.

Once I had him sitting on the top of my head rest and I accidentally put the front windows down. Drove for like 5 seconds before realising. Now I take better caution. He stayed fairly still though which was lucky.

I have a pet Cockatiel that likes to go for drives in the car. He always sits on the dash though and usually runs from side to side. He likes to chew at the demister vents though. Haven't had issues with cops yet. If I ever need to keep him out of view or if he really annoys me by getting in the way, I put him in the little area where the speedo is.

Once I had him sitting on the top of my head rest and I accidentally put the front windows down. Drove for like 5 seconds before realising. Now I take better caution. He stayed fairly still though which was lucky.

TOO FUNNY! I have a cockatiel too, he sits on my shoulder.. he's very very still.. doesn't move around much unless i hide him in my lap when i see cops.. thats when he protests.

TOO FUNNY! I have a cockatiel too, he sits on my shoulder.. he's very very still.. doesn't move around much unless i hide him in my lap when i see cops.. thats when he protests.

LOL. Fancy that. Mine is way to hyperactive all the time. If I put him in my lap, he will jump down onto the floor, crawl under the seat, and before you know it, will be on the rear parcel shelf. Then will start chewing something up and it is difficult to stop him while you are driving.

LOL. Fancy that. Mine is way to hyperactive all the time. If I put him in my lap, he will jump down onto the floor, crawl under the seat, and before you know it, will be on the rear parcel shelf. Then will start chewing something up and it is difficult to stop him while you are driving.

my one loves eatting paper!!! if not e'd sit on my neck and start pecking me.. and my scabs on my arm.. lil vampire bird! according to pet store its a sign of affection - preening.. hurts but.

OK. Pardon my stupidity. I misread the post and thought you guys were referring to this bird:

cockatoo_8376.jpg

I was wondering how on earth someone can drive with that bird flapping around the car.

lol no problem... cockatiel.. cockatoo :P they all belong in the same family except ones harder to move around..

n532977543_1319512_7285.jpg

... thats the cutie im talking about! he's adorable!

Edited by laurenml

Wait...are you guys serious?

D, are you talking about your TRD chicken behind your rear headrests? Your car is so clean I can't imagine a bird being in there.

Yeah, apart from the Toyota Chook, I have a Cockatiel. He isn't overly messy and it's easy to clean up after him. Here are some photos of him checking out the local wildlife:

dsc01018sq1.jpg

dsc01020ht0.jpg

And, I have seen people with Cockatoo's in their car as well. They are usually more tame and sit still better than Cockatiels.

Wait...are you guys serious?

D, are you talking about your TRD chicken behind your rear headrests? Your car is so clean I can't imagine a bird being in there.

Yeah, apart from the Toyota Chook, I have a Cockatiel. He isn't overly messy and it's easy to clean up after him. Here are some photos of him checking out the local wildlife:

dsc01018sq1.jpg

dsc01020ht0.jpg

And, I have seen people with Cockatoo's in their car as well. They are usually more tame and sit still better than Cockatiels.

Wow you're is really nicely coloured!!! .. my bird is really afraid of other birds.. none of my friends/ relative own other birds.. so he has no friends :(

i remember seeing someone driving with a bird on the steering wheel......no idea how the driver managed to keep the bird there lol

i think that might have been me one time :lol:

but i have a cockatiel as well, he is VERY brightly coloured, i will have to post a pic when i can :P

Evo

Get a tiel!!! hehe.. my tiel is very amazing.. he doesn't move much when in the car. smart too sits on the shoulder where the belt isnt. and yay for not being the only crazy person that drives around with a bird!

When I was in Canberra, I used to see this bloke driving around on a regular basis with a Goat up Hindmarsh Drive and around the Phillip area...

Edited by Simo

wow there really cute birds >_< ahahah i went to wilsons prom couple weeks back and took a photo of this bird i think its a rosella?

18012009926.jpg

yep rosella can't spell :( .. i visited a pet shop a while back. and there was one to be sold at 1200!! thats 10 times what i bought my bird forin november .. (110) hand reared so it partially tamed :)

When I was in Canberra, I used to see this bloke driving around on a regular basis with a Goat up Hindmarsh Drive and around the Phillip area...

There this guy that drives a pink llama around canberra :P .. belconnen area mainly.. its very recognisable.. how many llamas are there that's pink!?! .. it was seen at local events too.. heres a photo ..

DSCF2649_marked.jpg

.. no one believed i saw one til they saw it at the belco community festival last yr..

OK. Pardon my stupidity. I misread the post and thought you guys were referring to this bird:

cockatoo_8376.jpg

I was wondering how on earth someone can drive with that bird flapping around the car.

You have to possess a special license to own and care for a Sulphur Crest. They aren't issued that easily either.

Mine was rather placid in the car on vet visits in the past. This is due to the fact he has a permanently damaged wing though. I personally have never made it a habit of taking him on drives, given that what we consider a minor accident means a fairly hectic one for him, and quite possibly resulting in him dying. They live for quite a long time, and he's in his mid 30's with another 30 to go, so I intend on keeping it that way. Besides, a car was what hit him in the first place. Poor bugger.

Absolutely gorgeous bird by the way. They're very much the 'Clowns' of the avian world.

Edited by Dead