ATTEMPTED THEFT

Bruster

Hi guys,

just wanted to vent my frustration, today was a bad day and started at the very early morning.

an attempt and stealing my spare cover and spare wheel in Westfiel Shopping Centre, the guy looked suspicious according to some people and that may be why he got scared. He left behind the cover and the spare wheel but in return my lug nuts were missing, my wheel cover all scratched and my rear bumper scratched obviously from him forcing the the cover off.

Later in the day in the same place a shopping trolley hit the front bumper, dont know if it was deliberated or accidental but the damage is done.

Obvisouly im very upset but unfortunately out of my control specially when i have no where else to park my car during work hours.

this brings me to my question to all the RAV4 members, have any of you found a way to lock the wheel cover. I think the previous generation you where able to lock it with a padlock but this one doesnt seem to have any space to put a pad lock.

Cheers

Bru

Edited by Bruster

im not sure but im just sticking it out there, have you thought about having a hard cover for your spare tyre (im not sure if it is stock when you buy it) as some hard covers attach to the existing bracket and extends out abit and has a pad lock feature (just from what i seen from a mates)

Eargunk,

the car comes with a hard cover standard the problem is that its very easy to open and there is no option to lock it with a padlock.

BlackKnight,

i parked in Westfield Hurstville, worked in the area for over 6 years never had a problem until now.

funny thing happened today though, i was parking the car and just so happens i parked next to an identical RAV4 and i started chatting with the lady and she said just before xmas she experienced the same problem except in her case they took everything, spare wheel with cover and the rest of the wheels...the car was jacked up.. i find it unbelievable i mean these are standard wheels not after market wheels...who would've thought RAV's where in demand for thieves.

anyways she got replacement wheels and replacement spare with cover, her husband then modified the lock for the cover to be able to install a padlock.

i dont think i'll be able to do that, not very handy with tools.

Hurstville...

man that place is pretty bad now, i use to hear negative things about that area when i was living over at Allowah back in 93' lol

i guess it hasnt changed much only gotten worst then! lol

i had my hub caps stolen, they just have nothing to do or just want a quick 20$, lets all get trunk monkeys! This one time, some kid kept spraying my car, i waited in the dark and ran at him when he appeared (wish i had a shotgun). If there is a northfield near by, they do pretty much anything, one of my mates did a spare tyre relocation, to under his car with padlock and all, fairly expensive but he wont tell me. have a check with em and see if they can secure it more or other. May very from store to store.

• 1 month later...
Hi guys,

just wanted to vent my frustration, today was a bad day and started at the very early morning.

an attempt and stealing my spare cover and spare wheel in Westfiel Shopping Centre, the guy looked suspicious according to some people and that may be why he got scared. He left behind the cover and the spare wheel but in return my lug nuts were missing, my wheel cover all scratched and my rear bumper scratched obviously from him forcing the the cover off.

Later in the day in the same place a shopping trolley hit the front bumper, dont know if it was deliberated or accidental but the damage is done.

Obvisouly im very upset but unfortunately out of my control specially when i have no where else to park my car during work hours.

this brings me to my question to all the RAV4 members, have any of you found a way to lock the wheel cover. I think the previous generation you where able to lock it with a padlock but this one doesnt seem to have any space to put a pad lock.

Cheers

Bru

I had a key-lock lug nut installed by Toyota so that the wheel could not be stolen. I think it cost about $60.00 which was a lot cheaper that losing the wheel.

I had a key-lock lug nut installed by Toyota so that the wheel could not be stolen. I think it cost about $60.00 which was a lot cheaper that losing the wheel.

wow, they should've told me that initially when i bought the car, but good to know.

however that should be standard really, but i will enquire on the next service.