Tradin In ZR for TRD

VF-X

Good day guys

I ma need some reasons on why should / shouldn't I upgrade my Aurion a ZR to TRD (SL). Maybe some of u guys had consider this before, share the thoughts please. :)

Before any harsh comments popped up, I should tell u guys that I'm just fond of looks and not too much to the performance, but if it's possible to enhance them, yea why not.

Been considering this heaps since the news of 'TRD ceasing its production in 2009' popped up and the fact that TRD prices had been reduced greatly.

I reckon TRD has the looks, and performance that no major mods would be needed IMO apart from rims and other small things.

With My ZR,

I was thinking, If i wanna change the look on front and end to an extent of the thai Extremo Kit that has been discussed pretty often by Bondie and TRDLover, I ma spend quite the sum of money, effort and time while the outcome of this is still questionable.

I was also plannin to change the stock brakes to those like the TRD, which will cost me another fortune.

I might also do stuff to the engine as to increase the performance [i still dont know what to do thou]

With TRD,

I'll do none except replacin the rims & spring with my current ones.

Brakes would be there already.

Engine... Dun think will do anythin else, 'SuperCharger' is there already.

Now to some pros & cons.

Assuming the cost of modding the ZR and upgradin it to TRD is close.

Let's say I'll sell the car someday with all the mods to save the hazzles of selling them separately.

Basically, the mods will be valued close to 0 [Through dealer] or maybe 2G [if sold separately] while the TRD has higher value coz they are originally there to begin with and it's a TRD!

1. Need some advices of what u guys think, whether It's worth it or not.

2. How much u reckon it's gonna be to upgrade? My current ones has full options and i wanna get a TRD with full options as well.

3. Other things U'd like to add on anything.

Thanks for reading guys...I know it's long but I just dunno how I could've made it shorter.

Another Thanks for adding some comments.

Soz if double postin same thread, I didnt find any before.

Edited by VF-X

You know what..

I have no idea of how much the TRD brake kit is but the brembo brake kit normally costs at least $4000. only fronts.

The supercharger has about $10K price tag on it from toyota, you may find cheaper one from ebay, some other dealers or wreckers but I don't think it's gonna be cheap.

Although you got the supercharger, the ECU will be the issue because it's encrypted and no one could hack it yet as I know.

I suggest you to trade in your car and get the TRD.

That's the way you can save your money rather than conversion from ZR6 to TRD.

Personally, if I have money to convert ZR6 to TRD, I would trade zr6 in and do some MANY other mods on TRD.

IMHO, if you really wanna do it, it sounds like it's gonna cost more than $20000 only for conversion.

I rather try twinturbo installation with that money. :spiteful:

Apart from the budget, there's another risk that no one knows how the conversion equipment works like.

TRD aurion is already fully tested before it's life from TOYOTA, but if you do it by your own, it's your own risk.

BTW, there are some more threads about TRD conversion from SX6 or ZR6, you better search them first.

Good day guys

I ma need some reasons on why should / shouldn't I upgrade my Aurion a ZR to TRD (SL). Maybe some of u guys had consider this before, share the thoughts please. :)

Before any harsh comments popped up, I should tell u guys that I'm just fond of looks and not too much to the performance, but if it's possible to enhance them, yea why not.

Been considering this heaps since the news of 'TRD ceasing its production in 2009' popped up and the fact that TRD prices had been reduced greatly.

I reckon TRD has the looks, and performance that no major mods would be needed IMO apart from rims and other small things.

With My ZR,

I was thinking, If i wanna change the look on front and end to an extent of the thai Extremo Kit that has been discussed pretty often by Bondie and TRDLover, I ma spend quite the sum of money, effort and time while the outcome of this is still questionable.

I was also plannin to change the stock brakes to those like the TRD, which will cost me another fortune.

I might also do stuff to the engine as to increase the performance [i still dont know what to do thou]

With TRD,

I'll do none except replacin the rims & spring with my current ones.

Brakes would be there already.

Engine... Dun think will do anythin else, 'SuperCharger' is there already.

Now to some pros & cons.

Assuming the cost of modding the ZR and upgradin it to TRD is close.

Let's say I'll sell the car someday with all the mods to save the hazzles of selling them separately.

Basically, the mods will be valued close to 0 [Through dealer] or maybe 2G [if sold separately] while the TRD has higher value coz they are originally there to begin with and it's a TRD!

1. Need some advices of what u guys think, whether It's worth it or not.

2. How much u reckon it's gonna be to upgrade? My current ones has full options and i wanna get a TRD with full options as well.

3. Other things U'd like to add on anything.

Thanks for reading guys...I know it's long but I just dunno how I could've made it shorter.

Another Thanks for adding some comments.

Soz if double postin same thread, I didnt find any before.

Dood be honest with you save your time & hassel & $$$$$ - It would be cheaper to sell your zr and buy TRD

1. motor will set you back over 10 grand then all other conversions needed. You can pick up a used TRD for about $36000 upward with 35 000 km

2. Only time it will be become cheap is when motor wreckers start selling half cut cars cause that what you will virtually need to convert your zr6 to trd

Edited by Azza73

Yeah don't waste time and money with mods if it is the TRD you really want. In the end you'll end up spending more money on something that is not as good and not as safe. As the previous poster said, Toyota spent millions developing the TRD (I think it was 7 million), and it is already tuned to perform as well as it can.

Trust me, it will be worth it....but remember the ride is noticeably firmer, you should bring it for a test drive and see if you like it or not.

Yes. I'm plannin to Upgrade them means tradin them in with the Stock TRD, not to convert Sportivos to TRD.

When I say mods, the whole idea is just trying to be different and better than the stock.

Anw, thanks guys for the comments so far.

My no 2. question is actually askin how much to trade in my car...Soz for the confusion.

Supercharger costs 10G?!! Wasnt it 3-4G the last time?

Yes. I'm plannin to Upgrade them means tradin them in with the Stock TRD, not to convert Sportivos to TRD.

When I say mods, the whole idea is just trying to be different and better than the stock.

My no 2. question is actually askin how much to trade in my car...Soz for the confusion.

trade-in you will probably get around the $22000 mark, considering the state of the motor dealer industry at the moment. i dont think youd get much more than that. perhaps $25000 private sale

first of all, yes, the supercharger costs about $10000 from Toyota Parts department.

or you can contact Eaton company that made the supercharger for TRD aurion but I am not really sure how much they charge for the supercharger.

If you're lucky enough you can find secondhand one with much cheaper price from ebay, overseas part dealers or some wreckers.

On the Mods, you have to get a direction that which mods you wanna do on your car.

Well..in my terms of mods, there are two types of mod, which are Dress up purpse and Performance purpose.

If you want to be different with other TRDs on road, you may have to focus on Dressup.

or If you like to improve your car's abilities, focus on performance.

If the money isn't the matter for you, you can do whatever you want.

If the money is the matter but you still want to do al of them, yeah, go for it. :spiteful:

What I am trying to say is, you can save a lot of money from deciding the mods you're going and looking for.

You may do half of dressup and performance for the other half on your budjet but it won't be too different with other cars on road.

whatever you do, don't do the trade in value try sell it privately for a price you feel that's comfortable for buyers & you and if that doesn't work at least try sell it for more then the trade in value so at least you get abit more to play with, then at no hesitation BUY THE TRD! :toast: :toast:

Personally I'd do it if I had the chance right now for the SL version, but no way for the S version.

Edited by jaems

Look in redbook give you rough indication what you can get as trading or selling private

www.redbook.com.au

Azza

I was setting myself to a range of $13,000 extra due to my very low kms & the full options. but hittin the 20,000 is a bit over the budget..

Yea, I ma talk to the Sales guy i bought my car from. Currently overseas but will talk to him prolly by next week.

U guys reckon it's worth it if I have to add another 20G to trade this in. I know it's worth it for the 12G range. Dunno if i'm up with 20..

Here's a few mods that you can consider doing for the TRD when you get it (notice I said WHEN, not IF :lol: ) This is obviously not exhaustive...

PERFORMANCE:

- Exhaust. For a supercharged car, you can probably get +15kW just by getting a good header-back exhaust system

- Tyres. The stock Dunlop Sport Maxxes 245/35/19s that is provided with the TRD are pretty ok, but I got Bridgestone Adrenalins on mine and I can tell you the grip is MUCH better

- Strut bar & rear sway bar. Easiest and cheapest way to improve handling and reduce body roll.

- Panel air filter. Get the TRD or K&N one. Makes the oh-so-sweet supercharger whine just that little louder! I wouldn't bother with a SRI or CAI unless it is custom made.

Also, the TRD's ECU seems to be very sensitive when it comes to mods so you have to make sure whatever you do to it doesn't give you engine warnings.

LOOKS:

- Rims (I personally think the stock TRD ones look the best, not too flashy but complement the car well but others might have differing opinion

- HIDs. Ohhh yeah.

Not much that I can think of because you don't want it too look too different - there is some prestige to it being a TRD and you want people to identify it as one

INTERIOR:

- Sound system

- Sat nav (if you are not getting it from Toyota)

I reckon keep the current car, and just mod it with your sights set a little lower

313-GNT has a great looking aurion , and he runs low 14's down the quarter. i don't think the trd is that much better than that.

correct me if wrong

Commodore s - high 15 sec qaurter

Commodore ss - high 13 sec quarter

aurion zx6 - high 14 sec quarter

trd - very high 13 sec quarter

not worth it IMHO

Whitestivo

Foound this in the trading post news

New car buyers are likely to be the winners from Toyota Australia's decision to cease production of its TRD (Toyota Racing Developments) Aurion sedan and Hilux utes.

Toyota has announced production of the TRD vehicles will cease on 31 March and it follows that Toyota's TRD dealers will be keen to move any unsold stock which could open the door for some great bargains.

And 'great' is an apt word for the TRD product because both of the TRD Aurion models (3500S and 3500SL) and the TRD HiLux models (4000S and 4000SL) represent some of the very best sports/performance vehicles.

The TRD Aurion - the first production car to use the Eaton TVS (Twin Vortices Series) supercharger - delivers a muscly 241 kW and sprints from zero to 100 km/h in just 6.1 seconds.

Both Aurions gain sports suspension, performance brakes, 19-inch alloy wheels, TRD front and rear bumpers, side skirt and rear spoilers, sports seats, power driver's seat, alloy pedals, TRD badging and leather-wrapped steering wheel. In addition, higher-spec 3500SL gets keyless entry, full leather interior, clearance and reverse parking sonars, dual-zone automatic air conditioning, six-way power front passenger seats and TRD floor mats.

The TRD Aurion delivers sporty driving dynamics that will be appreciated by enthusiast drivers while cocooning those inside in real luxury. If you can twist the arm of your local Toyota TRD dealer and snap one up for a sharp price, you will have secured a great Australian performance sedan.

Take it for a test drive and ask the salesman to show you its 'dynamic' capabilities. I am sure you will walk away with a HUGE smile on your face like I did....

I was just thinking to myself, if TRD can come up with a FWD with such awesome handling characteristics, if they get their act together again and do another vehicle with RWD/AWD, Ford and Holden better be scared. Very scared.

Edited by Supercharged TRD

I'd have to say do it! I've been looking into the SL as well and am waiting for a black one! My dealer has offered me 27 as a trade and currently i think i get the SL with similar or less Km for aroun the 43 mark.....

DO it!

I reckon keep the current car, and just mod it with your sights set a little lower

313-GNT has a great looking aurion , and he runs low 14's down the quarter. i don't think the trd is that much better than that.

correct me if wrong

Commodore s - high 15 sec qaurter

Commodore ss - high 13 sec quarter

aurion zx6 - high 14 sec quarter

trd - very high 13 sec quarter

not worth it IMHO

Whitestivo

Yea...I'm in between the line... I'll c how this go in about 2 weeks

Foound this in the trading post news

New car buyers are likely to be the winners from Toyota Australia's decision to cease production of its TRD (Toyota Racing Developments) Aurion sedan and Hilux utes.

Toyota has announced production of the TRD vehicles will cease on 31 March and it follows that Toyota's TRD dealers will be keen to move any unsold stock which could open the door for some great bargains.

And 'great' is an apt word for the TRD product because both of the TRD Aurion models (3500S and 3500SL) and the TRD HiLux models (4000S and 4000SL) represent some of the very best sports/performance vehicles.

The TRD Aurion - the first production car to use the Eaton TVS (Twin Vortices Series) supercharger - delivers a muscly 241 kW and sprints from zero to 100 km/h in just 6.1 seconds.

Both Aurions gain sports suspension, performance brakes, 19-inch alloy wheels, TRD front and rear bumpers, side skirt and rear spoilers, sports seats, power driver's seat, alloy pedals, TRD badging and leather-wrapped steering wheel. In addition, higher-spec 3500SL gets keyless entry, full leather interior, clearance and reverse parking sonars, dual-zone automatic air conditioning, six-way power front passenger seats and TRD floor mats.

The TRD Aurion delivers sporty driving dynamics that will be appreciated by enthusiast drivers while cocooning those inside in real luxury. If you can twist the arm of your local Toyota TRD dealer and snap one up for a sharp price, you will have secured a great Australian performance sedan.

So...U tryin to say the car would be cheaper by the end of March or after compared to these days?

I'd have to say do it! I've been looking into the SL as well and am waiting for a black one! My dealer has offered me 27 as a trade and currently i think i get the SL with similar or less Km for aroun the 43 mark.....

DO it!

I'd rather not do it if I need to add 16 for a pre-owned car.. The figure is just way too high..

So, u did have a chat to ur Sales guy @ Toyota?

cant go past a liberty gt spec b...

F*CKIN OATH!

I was lined up to buy a Lib H6 spec.B before the AUrion, but it fell through & dad convinced me to get Aurion. Regretted it every single day since.

GT's were good, manuals are rare(ish) and get alot more money used, ej20 engines were getting a little old though, but H6 engines (flat 6cyl) are as sweet as all heck, 3.0L, 180-90kw, AWD, 6spd manual gearbox, premium models with leather & sunroof are faultless & Mackintosh 13 speaker stereo tops it off. I was getting a 2005 model with 40k on the clock for $30k, so you can get newer & lower kms for a little more. The 6spd auto has sportshift (alot better than Aurions) and the newer ones get i-Drive from the Sti's...very nice.

If you get the wagon the sunroof is massive, from the driver to just behind the rear seat passengers.

Ah cr@p...........now I want to trade in the Aurion for one again.

Tell me about it....I love my Aurion good car and all, but it just lacks that "character". It does the job well but it doesn't feel like it is an extension of yourself. This is something that Toyota should look into that will make the car a lot more popular.

Just look at the Mazda RX-8. While it's nowhere as quick as the TRD Aurion, it has that "X" factor that makes it so appealing. I think it has to do with the interior build quality. The Aurion's interior is plasticky and doesn't feel as upmarket as Subaru or Mazda.