Power Antenna

Ogri

Anyone had theirs' stuff up? Started a few weeks ago, the antenna would go up, AND not come down and every time you start the car you get this weird graunching sound for the rear side panel (2000 2.2L CSI Wagon), also when you turn the key off. After a bit of research on the Net, I've figured that the toothed cable inside the antenna has broken off inside the motor, resulting in the noise. It only lasts for about 20 seconds.

How much is the complete unit (antenna, cable and motor)? Can you just buy the cable and antenna separate? And lastly what's involved with taking the side panels off inside the bootspace to gain access to the unit?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

ive had the same problem in the 01 camry sedan.

i havent looked into the cost and such yet but do find it an eyesore having the antenna up all the time.

i took apart the motor and have no clue whats wrong with it. :help:

Quick cheap fix. Give it a good wipe clean and then a wipe over with a little Vaseline on a piece of rag. when you turn off the radio just give antenna a little help down with a light but firm pressure on the top of the antenna.. Always works for me(2001 Camry Conquest V6)

If you need to replace it, all that is required is to buy a new antenna rod section, undo the slotted nut at the base, turn on the radio and pull on the antenna as it extends and completely withdraw it (leave ignition key in ACC position) & note orientation of toothed section.

To refit place the new section into the main unit with toothed section properly located,teeth facing to rear of vehicle, and insert to a depth of approx 400mm. Wind the cable to retract the rod by turning the ignition to LOCK. If the antenna doesn't retract twist it slightly and try again.

If the antenna doesn't retract fully , install the locknut and recheck operation.. Finally check reception is OK...

Note: I haven't ever had to resort to a refit as my first suggestion has always worked. The reifitting procedure is from a Camry Toyota Worhshop Manual.

BOL

Edited by Topdog

You'll only need to buy the new electric antenna mast from Toyota...

As the cable has snapped you'll need to remove the cable stuck inside the motor...

As you have the wagon with the hinged boot floor it makes the job a little harder but not impossible...

Firstly, remove the chrome 4 slotted nut on the outside of the body... Turn the radio on and the mast will come out, you'll have to grab it fast so it doesn't fall out and scratch your rear 1/4 panel, having two people makes this job easier...

There are a few screws and bolts that hold the trim on, so you'll have to access and remove those, pull the trim outwards so you can access the motor...

Remove the motor by unplugging the wiring and the water hose off the bottom...

Pull apart the motor and remove the broken piece of cable...

Put it all back together and reinstall the motor... Don't forget to connect the water tube at the bottom...

Using two people again, fit the new mast by inserting it down the tube and turning the radio off so the motor pulls it back down...

Refit the 4 slotted nut and make sure it's tight...

Once you've checked the aerial works with no problems, refit the interior panels and you're done...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can someone please tell us do we need to go to TOYOTA dealer to get the stuff to fix the Power Antenna and about how much does it cost to fix the problem yourself ?

or would we need to go to a dealership. We just purchased a Toyota Camry Wagon Conquest

Your help appreciated help for a senior citizen

Need some more detail.

Is your antenna faulty and was it faulty when you bought the car and what year model? If faulty, what is the problem?

If it was faulty and I am assuming 2nd hand purchase here, what does the dealer have to say? They should fix it for you if it was faulty at time of purchase under warranty.

You could try some after market parts outlets. Prices of new innards vary and it is possible you may not be able to get one from any other than Toyota. You would need to try others first.

Need some more detail.

Is your antenna faulty and was it faulty when you bought the car and what year model? If faulty, what is the problem?

If it was faulty and I am assuming 2nd hand purchase here, what does the dealer have to say? They should fix it for you if it was faulty at time of purchase under warranty.

You could try some after market parts outlets. Prices of new innards vary and it is possible you may not be able to get one from any other than Toyota. You would need to try others first.

I just purchased the Toyota Camry Waggon 1999 Conquest 2.2 from an aquaintance privately.

I tried the radio to see if it worked it was then the trouble began the antenna wouldn't go down and began grinding as others have discribed

I undid the 4 slot nut on the exterior and it had a couple of marks like dints when I tried to see what they were from it snapped and the antenna came away with the toothed cable attached

The prev owner said they never had trouble getting the antenna down it was getting to come up was the problem.

It looks like a major job to remove the panels to do repairs is that correct?

I have not spoke to dealers yet as it just happened in last couple of days and i thought I would find out others experience.

What do I search for ie. Toyota Power Antenna

Abmay,

You should be able to remove the inside cover in the boot to get to the power aerial motor. That's how mine's done anyway.

Worst case scenario, replace the motor, if not the whole thing. You'd at least know it's new and should work for the rest of the life of the car.

I still have mine... I just can't be stuffed swapping it out coz I still have the stock aerial on the roof on the driver's side of the windscreen.

Thanks for all you help. Great advice from everyone.

The parts are on the way from our Toyota dealer and the problem will soon be fixed we hope.

I will recommend this site to my Toyota friends your help is appreciated by a pensioner.

Cheers