battery

markie31

it also depends on how hard you sub can take, personally i would get a optima yellow top (cause im a audio nut) and is about $400 or more that is 700cca but something over 400cca (anything deep cycle so you dont have to start the engine to listen to it) would be fine IMO.

im currently running 2 amps with a 660cca deep cycle marine battery, works fine and has teh potential to have another amp or 2 hooked up.

Edited by Eargunk

the optima is expecially built for car audio, works fine under vibration, stress and other things (like less random discharge so its a constant voltage so you dont sometimes have louds at volume 7 and quiet the next day at the same volume) that car audio hits ya and is leak proof, so pretty much go any angle or position you like (except upside down, not a good idea...).

Another thing is make sure you have the measurements for the max size you can fit in your car. i had to cut the plate it was sitting on and modify the air filter to fit my battery.

i hv two.. well not very BIG amp in my car but i been running a stock toyota battery for years no problem.. i dun think the average joe would need a deep cycle optima yellow top.. anything tht fits ur budget will do the job.. 150 bucks vs 500 bucks.. i dun think the optima will last through 3 of the average battery..

there are 2 basic types of automotive lead-acid batteries.

the ordinary everday battery that is fitted ex-factory.....and the deep cycle battery.

while the everyday battery is good for just about all types and styles of motoring it has limits. the deep cycle battery has limits also.

the everyday battery will cope with a wide range of charge-discharge cycles before it gives up. usually without warning they just die. it is generally the best type for MOST automotive applications.

the deep cycle battery is designed as a long term storage battery. there are several design types within deep cycle batteries. the most common is the deep cycle marine battery. these have more internal bracing and stronger plates to cope with the marine enviroment. they will sit for quite a long time and keep their charge, while the everyday battery won't.

the down side to deep cycle batteries is they don't tollerate the short/shallow charge-discharge cycles as seen in most passenger vehicles. this is why deep cycle batteries don't last very long in a car. deep cycle batteries are designed to be run just about (but not completly) flat then re-charged.

deep cycle batteries are considerably heavier than their everyday cousins.

cheers

supertownace