Helium in tyres

Briggsy

Just to make sure, you meant Nitrogen right? You would be better off putting just normal air in your tires if you were thinking of putting helium in them. For road/everyday use, nitrogen would not be worth the extra money in my opinion.

helium would escape through the tyre much quicker because its such a small molecule, like hydrogen

That's correct, and is why a rubber balloon filled with helium starts to fall after a day or so. The tiny helium molecules leach right through the rubber.

As for my tires, I'm sticking with 78% nitrogen.

Helium is flamable gas... I think you are talking about Nitrogen like others.

Junebug is right - air is 78% nitrogen and it costs at lot to get to 99%.

Benefits are:

They seldom leak though the valve.

They keep in pressure however you run the car - good for racing cars.

Downsides are:

The petrol air pump is 78% nitrogen.

It is very hard to get a vaccum in your tyres to do initial nitrogen filling...

Cost.

To me - even in my track car - it is a waste of money.

I don't mind adjusting my pressure after each sessions at the pit lane - hence I have a very nice tyre pressure gauge.

Helium is flamable gas...

I think you are talking about hydrogen... if helium was flammable, the Goodyear blimp would be a potential Hindenburg.

Helium is flamable gas...

I think you are talking about hydrogen... if helium was flammable, the Goodyear blimp would be a potential Hindenburg.

I stand corrected haha.. my last chemistry lecture was more than 15 years ago. :lol:

yep yep... so Helium is the one changes voice frequency because of its lighter?? density and hence you can make funny voice :rolleyes: yep yep.

helium would escape through the tyre much quicker because its such a small molecule, like hydrogen

While we're talking chemistry, helium doesn't exist as molecules, only as individual atoms :)

While we're talking chemistry, helium doesn't exist as molecules, only as individual atoms :)

Lol because its a noble gas or something right? cheers :)

as long as you can keep the helium in the tyre for your unsprung weight will be lower there for your car will handle better :lol:

as long as you can keep the helium in the tyre for your unsprung weight will be lower there for your car will handle better :lol:

I agree :rolleyes:

The New Nissan GT-R's tires have unusually pliant sidewalls, improving steering, agility and ride comfort. They are filled with nitrogen rather than conventional air, which prevents pressure change during high speed driving.

Going to do some rapid driving in the Kluger hey?? :)

Junebug is right - air is 78% nitrogen and it costs at lot to get to 99%.

The petrol air pump is 78% nitrogen.

It is very hard to get a vaccum in your tyres to do initial nitrogen filling...

Best practice for 100% nitrogen filling isn't to create a vacuum in the tyre, it's to use two valves and blow excess nitrogen through to force the air out. Think of it as flushing a cooling system with tap water from a high-pressure hose - after a while the outflow has no more coolant in it, and is straight tap water.

The New Nissan GT-R's tires have unusually pliant sidewalls, improving steering, agility and ride comfort. They are filled with nitrogen rather than conventional air, which prevents pressure change during high speed driving.

Going to do some rapid driving in the Kluger hey?? :)

A couple of sites which compare nitrogen vs air for tyre inflation:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007...-nitrogen-.html

http://www.toyo.com.au/TechInfoPDFs/TTT-17...20Inflation.pdf

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...to/4302788.html

Reasons used as arguments for nitrogen are:

• Nitrogen bleeds through the rubber slower than oxygen so pressure loss over time is less with nitrogen than air.
  • Nitrogen has a higher specific gas constant than oxygen and therefore exhibits less pressure change with increased temperature (volume and mass being equal). Nitrogen also has a higher specific heat than oxygen so it therefore takes more heat energy to increase its temperature. Combining these two properties means that pressure in nitrogen filled tyres will increase less than air filled tyres. The pressure will still change in the tyre due to increased tyre temperature from rolling friction as described by Gay-Lussac's Law
  • Nitrogen fills use equipment that minimises water vapour in the gas, whereas most air fill stations don't filter water vapour and may not properly bleed air lines of water. This can result in water in the tyres. Having water in tyres is more weight to move around therefore increased fuel consumption.
  • Reduced oxygen content inside tyre reduces oxidation of rubber and extends tyre life.

Bottom line of argument is all of the above reduces variation in tyre pressure and therefore provides better tyre life and fuel consumption.

However the practicality of using nitrogen in the tyres of everyday cars I would think is pretty limited. Every time you want to fill your tyres you would need to go to a specific nitrogen fill station and pay for the privilege. Compare that to air where you can just go down to the local service station and fill for free. Also if you need to change your tyre pressure regularly, for example when going off road, you would need to carry a nitrogen fill station with you, which I imagine is going to be far more expensive than a small portable compressor from one of the discount auto outlets.

If you are racing where every little bit of performance counts, or your own a fleet of vehicles with your own facility for nitrogen fills then it is probably worth it. As an individual with one vehicle that is your daily drive then it will probably cost more than what you would save on tyres and fuel.

Best bet is to check the air pressure in your tyres regularly and fill up for free at the local servo.

Best bet is to check the air pressure in your tyres regularly and fill up for free at the local servo.

The day we start paying for air for our tyres at a servo it the day I buy a compressor... :D Some things in life are still free!! :D

The day we start paying for air for our tyres at a servo it the day I buy a compressor... :D Some things in life are still free!! :D

Can get a resonable little compressor these days from the Autoshops for $50-$100. It's invaluable for things such as the kid's bike tyres (always seem to be flat whenever they want to ride), inflatable pool toys (try blowing up a large inflatable dolphin using your lungs :) ), and of course for adjusting the tyre pressure in your car at home or on the go if off-roading. Small enough to keep in the back of the kluger all the time.

Edited by Kesawi