varex in an mr2 spyder?

JJCRU23R

anyone know if theres a varex muffler to suit the mr2 spyder (2000)?

my mates thinking about getting it for his mr2.. i know someone has installed it on their 1zz corolla (maximas? yea?) hmm.. but yea. any advice would be great.

jase

It's a complete waste of money. Do your exhaust system right the first time and you won't have to shell out $700 for gimmicks.

i beg to differ ......its not a gimmick..........and its only $ 370.....stating it as a gimmick only shows your ignorence of the varex system.....its a simple straight through muffler or its closed off (more back pressure forces gases through 3 times and out small hole at rear of chamber) Xforce are currently looking into an add on allowing it to open up at certain revs........perfect for sportivo.......closed off at low revs for more torque and opens up at high revs to enable full free flowing......this is all great.......though for me the major reason is for noise.......dead quiet less than stock sportivo........or nice note but not overly loud.

for more info check out BlindKidSeeks ride........we chose our systems......didnt do this as a "fix" up addon........ive gone headers CAI stock system and rear varex........BKS went for CAI Headers 2.5" SS mandrel and Varex.....weve had discussions around exhasut size and back pressure and can go on forever.......investigate what you want and need and as long as your happy wth your choice thats all that matters

Edited by jaderd

Strange to note on all the hondas, toyota, supras, holdens, alfas, skylines, mr2, etc etc etc, not one person runs varex on the track. Not one. I mean 99.9% of them have exhausts from different shops all over brisbane, and not one thinks running some pipe around twice is the answer to their dreams on the track.

not an opinion but a fact.

whitestivo

in this particular case.. my mate has no intention of putting his 1zz spyder onto any track. its strictly for on road driving. my mate wants a quiet car when he leaves the house so he doesnt wake up his parents/neighbours early in the morning on his way to work. on the way home, if hes on the m4 or something hed like to hear the noise. its what my mate wants, so im just asking on his behalf.

performance is only an added bonus (if there is any)... but then again honestly i doubt that dramatic improvements in track performance has anything to do with my mates decision... but of course... the guy doesnt want the car to run slower or harder than it has to.

some people just want things cos they look/sound great.. wouldnt necessarily call it "rice" parts but surely theres a suitable varex muffler that would give better performance than stock... even by a small amount.

Edited by J_J

Strange to note on all the hondas, toyota, supras, holdens, alfas, skylines, mr2, etc etc etc, not one person runs varex on the track. Not one. I mean 99.9% of them have exhausts from different shops all over brisbane, and not one thinks running some pipe around twice is the answer to their dreams on the track.

whitestivo

Not strange anymore to note that there is one person that runs varex on the track, or about to at least. Everyone is entitled to their dreams and thoughts but hey, you can't remain a virgin forever !! ;)

:lol:

in this particular case.. my mate has no intention of putting his 1zz spyder onto any track. its strictly for on road driving. my mate wants a quiet car when he leaves the house so he doesnt wake up his parents/neighbours early in the morning on his way to work. on the way home, if hes on the m4 or something hed like to hear the noise. its what my mate wants, so im just asking on his behalf.

performance is only an added bonus (if there is any)... but then again honestly i doubt that dramatic improvements in track performance has anything to do with my mates decision... but of course... the guy doesnt want the car to run slower or harder than it has to.

some people just want things cos they look/sound great.. wouldnt necessarily call it "rice" parts but surely theres a suitable varex muffler that would give better performance than stock... even by a small amount.

It is for this reason that jaderd and myself went down this path. We want the performance all the time without the noise all the time. No doubt closing the valve will kill any performance but the "butt" dyno said not by much.

When alone in the car, open the valve and enjoy the orchestra....

Close it and it becomes more civilise than your average .......... :rolleyes:

you get the drift ..... nuff said ..... :toast:

Guni, terrific you are going to the track

All I'm saying is ppl that go to the track are performance orientated, and that's why they don't run varex. I will be interested to see how long you keep the varex if you get serious about your lap times.

On the other hand if you are a big softie that doesn't want to make up the neighbours, I can understand that as well. At least you are considerate to others, I should look into that.

I'm going to work out how to post on youtube, or get one of the brisbane guys to do it for me, and you won't believe how close to stock at idle my car is, sometimes, i wish it was louder. After 3500rpm, it's loud, but still 88db, within legal limits.

Is the varex still below 90db at open throttle?

whitestivo

All I'm saying is ppl that go to the track are performance orientated, and that's why they don't run varex. I will be interested to see how long you keep the varex if you get serious about your lap times.

On the other hand if you are a big softie that doesn't want to make up the neighbours, I can understand that as well. At least you are considerate to others, I should look into that.

I'm going to work out how to post on youtube, or get one of the brisbane guys to do it for me, and you won't believe how close to stock at idle my car is, sometimes, i wish it was louder. After 3500rpm, it's loud, but still 88db, within legal limits.

whitestivo

yeah nt 100% sure......i think it would be below on 100% open in my situation with stock pipe, andys with 2.5" on full open may be a little over? im unsure as i dont know what an exhaust on the very limit sounds like.........true with what you stated too, if i was tracking and a real enthusiast i prob wouldnt have a varex, prob have one thats loud all the time......i got it for the reason like you stated....considerate to neighbours, clients and my own brain for those days when you are driving home with a headache and want zero noise ;)

Hahahaha...>Guni I Love Your Answers....Lol @ you cant remain a virgin forever :-D

Anyways, the query that I had was whether you guys had any issue when you play with the remote by opening or closing the butterfly of the varex?

Which is also why I'm putting the Varex on mine. I am not too keen to spend a large amount of money to squeeze whatever more power I can get out of my Aurion (which will probably take a bit because the ECU on ours seems to adjust itself fairly good) but just obtaining an engine note that sounds more like what it should. The thing with my Aurion is that no matter the exhaust, it has that sweet spot around 2500-3000 RPM. I live in a neighbourhood that has a fair few older people and the area has a few hills that I need to go up to get home. Having a loud exhaust late at night is not very friendly to everyone and there is no way I can idle up the hills. As much as I wouldn't mind a performance exhaust, the extra full time noise will not be acceptable for me.

whitestivo

the only reason why people wouldnt run this muffler on the track is its weight. it is about 3 times heavier than the stock stivo muffler.

its as simple as a straight through muffler when its open, it makes a a great noise, and performs beautifully. That is a fact.

BKS.

whitestivo

If I am serious about my lap times, i would be racing cars full time or close to full time or getting a higher powered race car. That's me. Further to that, I doubt 1 - 3 KW gain in the exhaust is going to make much difference in my track times should my shifting sucks or can't drive properly which is why I only change the muffler.

Not sure if Varex is still below 90db on WOT but I'll try to find out although I cbf tbh.

So the arguement has migrated from giving good decent track times to sound decibels. I am also interested to see where can this arguement/fact/discussion/comments progress to next. Legality???? Covered !!!! There are cops out there driving defectable cars so that's your legality.

Personally, I think an exhaust with a valve is excellent! You don't have an excuse to be loud all the time. Be considerate to your neighbours/relatives etc ..... not sure what the fuss is about it being illegal. ppppppppppppttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

:rolleyes:

so the topic is varex on a mr2

we know it's heavier - negative

we know it's quieter - positive

we know the performance is lower - negative

we know it's cheaper - positive

we know it's not legal at high rpm- negative

As someone who's now been to a few track days, it's amazing the things you will start looking at to get those time sheets lower and lower.

My wife didn't even know I had an exhaust till I told her, and that's because it was custom made and the builder knew exactly what I wanted to achieve. And it cost me to do that, but it's well worth it.

whitestivo

As someone who's now been to a few track days, it's amazing the things you will start looking at to get those time sheets lower and lower.

My wife didn't even know I had an exhaust till I told her, and that's because it was custom made and the builder knew exactly what I wanted to achieve. And it cost me to do that, but it's well worth it.

whitestivo

jeezes mate... how can you say that the performance is negative? Have you ever had one? or been in a car with one? we've all noticed gains by putting them on. thats 4 of us in melb here. the sample size is pretty small but we're all driving sportivvo's with Varex Mufflers... what does that tell you? do you honestly think we'd be recommending them to people if they Didn't work?

its not that its quieter, its not.. when its open, when its closed its quieter than stock, it gies you the flexibility to run it either way.... thats the attraction.

Its heavier yes... but if you put a load of shopping in the boot... then whats the difference, or if you run your car with a tank full of petrol. its all negligible, not like its made of lead or anything.

Its not legal according to the law, which states having a variable controlled muffler is illegal. But as was mentioned, so do a HEAP of OEM mufflers... including the cops own VE SS, R32 VW, AUDI TT, and BA Falcons. The laws are a disgrace and could be argued in court.. if you were ever queried about it... but i just close the valve when theres cops near by.... Besides if you're on WOT when theres cops nearby, in any car, you're asking for it.

My exhaust was also a custom build, buy a guy who also knows what he's doing. but on the up side... didnt charge me an arm or a leg to do it and we've been through many revisions to fine tune the sound levels and the upside of making less noise is the energy is spent elsewhere, namely getting rid of the gasses quickly.

no-one cares about your wifes ability to tell if you got an exhaust.... she probably couldnt care.

you need to get off your "track day" high horse, and take a reality check... not everyone goes, not everyone cares about shaving milliseconds, and if you were serious about the track, you'd buy yourself a track car.

please... save your criticisms for something thats worthy the argument.

whitestivo

jeezes mate... how can you say that the performance is negative? Have you ever had one? or been in a car with one? we've all noticed gains by putting them on. thats 4 of us in melb here. the sample size is pretty small but we're all driving sportivvo's with Varex Mufflers... what does that tell you? do you honestly think we'd be recommending them to people if they Didn't work?

its not that its quieter, its not.. when its open, when its closed its quieter than stock, it gies you the flexibility to run it either way.... thats the attraction.

Its heavier yes... but if you put a load of shopping in the boot... then whats the difference, or if you run your car with a tank full of petrol. its all negligible, not like its made of lead or anything.

Its not legal according to the law, which states having a variable controlled muffler is illegal. But as was mentioned, so do a HEAP of OEM mufflers... including the cops own VE SS, R32 VW, AUDI TT, and BA Falcons. The laws are a disgrace and could be argued in court.. if you were ever queried about it... but i just close the valve when theres cops near by.... Besides if you're on WOT when theres cops nearby, in any car, you're asking for it.

My exhaust was also a custom build, buy a guy who also knows what he's doing. but on the up side... didnt charge me an arm or a leg to do it and we've been through many revisions to fine tune the sound levels and the upside of making less noise is the energy is spent elsewhere, namely getting rid of the gasses quickly.

no-one cares about your wifes ability to tell if you got an exhaust.... she probably couldnt care.

you need to get off your "track day" high horse, and take a reality check... not everyone goes, not everyone cares about shaving milliseconds, and if you were serious about the track, you'd buy yourself a track car.

please... save your criticisms for something thats worthy the argument.

very nice HI 5 ;)......everything thats in my head on the topic you just put down BKS....thanx mate saves using my brain power lol

Take it easy guys, you can have your non legal compromise, I'm not bothered.

i think we have at least answered the original question.

whitestivo

For someone who's not bothered you sure bang on a lot.

Varex will go on the Spyder fine providing theres space for it in the back of the car.

legal or not... the Varex is a great muffler.

We are easy. As for non legal statement, you'll have to prove that. So far, everything is pretty much open for intepretation. Better still, find someone or a case where someone have been proven to be going against the law by fitting a varex muffler or similar valve operated muffler..... or defected.

:whistling:

We are easy. As for non legal statement, you'll have to prove that. So far, everything is pretty much open for intepretation. Better still, find someone or a case where someone have been proven to be going against the law by fitting a varex muffler or similar valve operated muffler..... or defected.

It is illegal, no issues about that. If a picky cop pulled you over, there's another $75 and a point down the drain. You CAN have a quite system without restricting flow, but people just want an easy option.

It is illegal, no issues about that. If a picky cop pulled you over, there's another $75 and a point down the drain. You CAN have a quite system without restricting flow, but people just want an easy option.

yes i can have a quiet system....the stock sportivo one.....i wanted noise as well ....at times hence varex....the the major reason i purchased it.....noise and free flow when wanted.......dead quiet and adequate backpressure when just putting around or when preferred etc

kinda rediculous that this would be illegal.

its against the law to drive on the street with a whole bunch of things that are available from your local autobarn.

example - undercar neons cant be used while driving.. but nothing stopping you from turning them on when the car is parked?! if they were totally illegal the law would have taken steps to ban them from the shops like many cheap, unsafe kids toys made in china.

using your car horn inappropriately could get you into trouble..

similar could be said for the varex... get caught while its loud then you should rightly get in crap for it if its just too loud... but then again if its in quiet mode where its quieter than stock, whos to complain?

Wow... this topic is starting to go a bit overboard. Every time I see Varex in a thread, there is always some argument going on.

Who cares whether one person decides to get a Varex or not. It's your own car... do what you want. Some people want extra performance (that is guaranteed), others just want something that sounds nice or loud. Myself; I want something that sounds good, but there are times that I don't want that extra noise. That's why I got the Varex. I definitley don't want a car that is always quiet, and I don't want a car that is always loud. I have a street car. I'm not fussed about getting any more kW out of it. If I do; what am I going to legally do with it without going onto a track? Overtake cars quicker? Wait... you can only legally overtake at the maximum speed limit for the area, so that excuse is not valid.

As for the legality discussion, why does everyone have to be so picky. If you're not the one with the 'illegal' muffler, why bother whining about it? It's not your money or licence. To be honest, I don't really care about this $75 on the spot fine and whatever. I might worry about it when I get busted, but even still. I drive illegally every day by speeding and have had a ticket or two. Is that stopping me? I think not. I jaywalk all the time as well... I don't need anyone to lecture me about waiting for the green light to say it's safe to cross.

I don't mean to be rude or anything; I just don't understand why people have a problem with someone else changing something on their car and getting no extra performance out of it or whether then run a higher chance of getting a fine. Each person is welcome to spend/waste their money however they want. It's their loss, not yours.