Bad egg smell from My ZRE corolla

SINCE I got MY Corolla it has had a strong bad egg smell sometimes, just want to know who have similar problem as mine, should i worry about it or take it back to dealer ?

thanks

my car is 2008ZRE corolla hatchback

if you leave your air con setting to fresh air, rather than recirculate, then you will always have this smell when driving in traffic. It's the lack of an active carbon filter.

Hey man, another idea on the side could possibly be the battery. How long have you had the car for? If its pretty new then it prob wont be the battery. Does the car ever feel like it has to struggle a bit wen trying to start it? The egg smell can come from the sulfuric acid in the battery where the fluids have all dried up leaving behind just the egg smelling sulfur.

I propose this because in my s15 for a period of time the car would struggle a bit when trying to start. When the battery finally died I could faintly smell rotten eggs in the engine bay coming from the battery terminals.

So yeah, if you start to smell it again, and its coming from the engine bay, check the battery and sniff the terminals lol. Although I doubt its the battery as ZRE's are quite new cars with new batteries.

- Will

burning the clutch will create a burning smell, anything to do with air cond. will create a stale smell, and as far as a battery smelling, never heard of it...

im sure other zre owners have had the same issue as well but none have stated anything right, besides rolla_boy.

It's the catalitic converter processing the carbon monoxide, happens after you've been giving it to your engine a bit, and/or you're heavily loaded. you can usually smell it when you sit idleing after driving hard, i still smell it occasionally, car is 33,000 old.

Dave

• 5 months later...

Hi guys

I want to revive this thread as I have the same problem and was going to open a new thread to ask the same question. 1 theory which I was given was that when a car which uses unleaded petrol is due for service this smell will appear! Any thoughts on that? I'm over due for my 18 month service right now!

i still get that weird smell coming from my exhaust, it's been serviced twice (only done 20,000km) and i still get that smell, but i only noticed i only get that smell if you give your a little, could be the fuel i use?

I noticed that egg smell today, never had it before, so I think the dealer might have put some additive to the fuel tank or it's the type of engine oil they use. The car was serviced 2 days ago. I'll see if that smell continues.

Oh, the fuel tank is almost empty too, so maybe the fuel pump is sucking that last bit of fuel with all rotten eggs at the bottom of the fuel tank LOL :)

I use E10 and people have suggested that that is what causes it but if Jalalski doesn't use it yet he still has the same problem then that would rule out that theory. So far we've ruled out the type of fuel, burning clutch (mines auto), I'm doubting that it has anything to do with the air con or pollen filter..... What else could it be? :huh: