Tyres tyres tyres!

Hey guys. i was at tyrepower hawthorn, Melbourne yesterday and mickey(the owner) quoted me some tires in which i think was quite a good deal

First of all. He quoted me Kumho KU31's for $170 fitted ( per side ). Was reading online and it seems that ku31 are actually quite good in performance and also in the wet.

2ndly, he quoted me some Bridgestone R300 or E300.. cant really remember. hahah it was also at 170 fitted. not sure about this tires as i havent really heard about them before.

anyways, could you guys give me some advice on which tires to get? im heading towards the kumhos direction and i'd appreciate it if someone were to throw some advice!

Cheers, NIck

Bridgestone Potenza GIII have been a favourite in my home. They were about $650 fitted i think. Good for high speeds in the wet, if ur crazy enough to try.

My ZR 08 has the Yokohama Advans, which are nice and sticky. :D

whitestivo : what tires would you recommend then? not too sure about tires. lol smth below the 200 mark i should add :D

johnnieboi : so johnnie, you recommending me to try the potenzas? are they really good grippy tires? looking for some good grippy tires that doesnt blow a hole in my pocket! haha

any other recommendations you guys out there wanna provide? some help would be great!

nick.

whitestivo : what tires would you recommend then? not too sure about tires. lol smth below the 200 mark i should add :D

johnnieboi : so johnnie, you recommending me to try the potenzas? are they really good grippy tires? looking for some good grippy tires that doesnt blow a hole in my pocket! haha

any other recommendations you guys out there wanna provide? some help would be great!

nick.

In this order

Bridge Re001

Goody GSD3

Toyo T1R - known for soft sidewalls, still top notch.

Forget the rest IMHO

I've been reading reading reading, and problem is none of these go for much less than $200 a tyre, and the goodyear are esepcially more

whitestivo

Yeah like what whitestivo said. It depends on how much your willing to fork out dude.

The Bridgestone Potenza GIII's lasted our cars about 1-3yrs under normal driving conditions. You'd rather have a good set of tyres than rims. So its up to you.

Goody GSD3

whitestivo

GSD3 is replaced by the Eagle F1 Asymetrical. D3 is better in the wet whereas the Asymetrical is a good all rounder tyre

;)

Goody GSD3

whitestivo

GSD3 is replaced by the Eagle F1 Asymetrical. D3 is better in the wet whereas the Asymetrical is a good all rounder tyre

;)

Yeah like what whitestivo said. It depends on how much your willing to fork out dude.

The Bridgestone Potenza GIII's lasted our cars about 1-3yrs under normal driving conditions. You'd rather have a good set of tyres than rims. So its up to you.

I wouldn't mind some GIII myself if I have the chance.

What profile you running and how much did you pay for them?

I wouldn't mind some GIII myself if I have the chance.

GIIIs are out of production, they've been replaced by the RE001 Adrenalins.

hey guys. thanks for your advice. but i got myself some falken rt615s! haha. its a road/semis. however, the size of the tire is 215/45/16. i got them for only 210 per corner fitted and balance (the 4 tires were his last set he had in stock and it might be some old stock but who cares :D ). re001 costed the same but i decided to go for the falkens.

i got these tires at TYREPOWER Hawthorn. he's really giving out great deals. those ppl from melbourne looking for cheap and good tires, head over there man. look for mickey.

Anyways, i was kinda shocked when he said 215/45 would fit my car as i knew the max size is only 205/50. but according to him, the falkens are old size and 215 is actually slightly smaller than the new 205?!?!

all in all, im really impressed with the falkens. really good sticky tires however, it may be a lil noisy compared to the previous turanzas i had on. haha but oh well. cant get the best of both worlds. if you guys want pics of the tires, ill get them for you. just pm me.

Cheers, Nick :lol:

Edited by sien

hey guys. thanks for your advice. but i got myself some falken rt615s! haha. its a road/semis. however, the size of the tire is 215/45/16. i got them for only 210 per corner fitted and balance (the 4 tires were his last set he had in stock and it might be some old stock but who cares :D ). re001 costed the same but i decided to go for the falkens.

i got these tires at TYREPOWER Hawthorn. he's really giving out great deals. those ppl from melbourne looking for cheap and good tires, head over there man. look for mickey.

Anyways, i was kinda shocked when he said 215/45 would fit my car as i knew the max size is only 205/50. but according to him, the falkens are old size and 215 is actually slightly smaller than the new 205?!?!

all in all, im really impressed with the falkens. really good sticky tires however, it may be a lil noisy compared to the previous turanzas i had on. haha but oh well. cant get the best of both worlds. if you guys want pics of the tires, ill get them for you. just pm me.

Cheers, Nick :lol:

Good choice! One down from that would be FK452 which was what I was contemplating.

Keep is posted on how those tyres go.

can someone tell me why stiff sidewalls are important?

are they less important if you have stock camber?

getting closer on the tyres

whitestivo

Think of what happens in a corner - the wheels turn to the side, but the inertia of the car wants to keep going straight. The softer the sidewalls in the tyres, the more they will flex before the car actually changes direction. Think of it as slop in the steering - the stiffer the sidewalls, the more direct the handling will be (ignoring all other suspension/steering components)

what is the disadvantage of stiff sidewalls, as always, there is a negative?

otherwise everyone would run stiff sidewalls yes?

whitestivo

More road noise, rougher ride.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, reading from the previous posts.... Im also looking to buy new sets of tyres and was looking around for my budget and finally came to the Falkans ZE 912, 195*55 R16. Any opinions in regard to the Falkans and this specific tyre size as Im a normal driver with a great Stivo 4 a car, would be really apreciated as I dont trust what all the sellers at the tyre shops tell me. Cheers.

Also was quoted at 179$ a pop.

Hi Guys, reading from the previous posts.... Im also looking to buy new sets of tyres and was looking around for my budget and finally came to the Falkans ZE 912, 195*55 R16. Any opinions in regard to the Falkans and this specific tyre size as Im a normal driver with a great Stivo 4 a car, would be really apreciated as I dont trust what all the sellers at the tyre shops tell me. Cheers.

Give Taleb tyres a call, they've got 205/45R16 for Yokohama AD07 (A Far far more superior tyre) - I'd stay away from ALL the Falken ZE or Zeix ****s.

Somehow, Falken doesn't make tyres like they used to.

Give Taleb tyres a call, they've got 205/45R16 for Yokohama AD07 (A Far far more superior tyre) - I'd stay away from ALL the Falken ZE or Zeix ****s.

Somehow, Falken doesn't make tyres like they used to.

That would throw the speedo out by about 5%.

205/50/16 on the other hand would be a closer running diameter.

I'm running Bridgestones Potenzas RE540S @ 205/50/16 for about a week now. Not really comfortable for everyday driving and on top of that, LOUD !!! Having said that, cornering has been quite positive and precise. Its also quite OK in the wet but personally, I would only use them on track as that is what they should be used for. :clap:

Going back to my F1s this weekend as a little tired from having to fight with my steering controls every day. :P :P :P :P

The F1s are quite comfy for a 45 profile at 17' and quiet. Not that bumpy but I still have a positive cornering whenever I want to. Aparently its something to do with their conering technology or something ....... :unsure:

i'm seriously thinking the only tyre out there worth investigating under $200 is the RE001. keep saving.

thanks Hiro, exactly what i was after.

whitestivo

the toyo t1r would give the re001 a good fight too i'd say for that price range..