R35 GTR .... street legal ?

Obliteration.

nissan_gtr_064.jpg

Anyway. I spotted a Silver GTR today. NSW Plates. Getting plenty of attention in Melbourne's CBD. Very nice. Great work Nissan. Probably not the best time for with regards to the GEC kicking in.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to answer whitestivos question a V-spec modal is already out in japan, its available in oz as a grey import, thats if u want to fork out $270000 thats before its even landed. V-spec boasts stiffer suspension, nismo wheels, carbon wing and spoiler, is 130kgs lighter and has 16% more power at 410kws plus u get a shiny V-spec badge......... :lol:

and don't ppl think that by these ppl importing them direct, it's less of an incentive for nissan to bring in in the future as they lose sales?

whitestivo

Not really, the numbers that get imported would probably be significantly less than Nissan would bring in themselves, yet I'd guarantee that every single one of them would sell if Nissan decided to sell them off the showroom floor, no matter what the numbers (within reason).

The fact that people are importing them should be evidence to Nissan that there is a demand for them over here, and that putting them on sale as a niche model would cost them very little but benefit them a lot, both money-wise and reputation-wise. Australia has always been one of the biggest markets for Japanese sports cars outside of Japan, unfortunately we've had to get most of the good ones via grey import, would be good if the car companies could wake up to themselves and see the potential.

and don't ppl think that by these ppl importing them direct, it's less of an incentive for nissan to bring in in the future as they lose sales?

whitestivo

Not really, the numbers that get imported would probably be significantly less than Nissan would bring in themselves, yet I'd guarantee that every single one of them would sell if Nissan decided to sell them off the showroom floor, no matter what the numbers (within reason).

The fact that people are importing them should be evidence to Nissan that there is a demand for them over here, and that putting them on sale as a niche model would cost them very little but benefit them a lot, both money-wise and reputation-wise. Australia has always been one of the biggest markets for Japanese sports cars outside of Japan, unfortunately we've had to get most of the good ones via grey import, would be good if the car companies could wake up to themselves and see the potential.

i dont really understand why we have been neglected for years by japanese car makers, all we ever get are watered down bombs. one small e.g japan gets gtir we get pulser sss etc, etc even the new honda type R isent even based on the correct floorpan as japanese ones, the ones we get are just moked up off honda jazz floorpans what a joke!!!

i like the track as the times are definite, and yes drivers are crap (me), and yes tracks get wet but still good base. for example we all can see that you were 3 seconds slower then me DHC09.

:lol: uummmm.... because i have a 1ZZ AUTO.

My top speed at the end of the straight is prob 130 at best :unsure: also that was prior to cusco zero2 and RE001.

With the cusco and RE001 I can follow a GT3RS around a corner no problem, but I still get left for dead coming out of it.

Track condition, track temp, air temp, all play a big part on the lap time as well. So I dont know why your comparing with a time from 2 years ago.

you mean the new type r is based off a honda jazz?

if holden dies like they think it might, then others go, do we get to a position of importing all our cars, and we become a lot less restrictive like NZ>

would this make the new GTR cheaper?

whitestivo

even the new honda type R isent even based on the correct floorpan as japanese ones, the ones we get are just moked up off honda jazz floorpans what a joke!!!

Ahh, which Type R is that? The Civic Type R? They're directly imported from Britain, where they are made. All Civic Type R hatchbacks are the same, there is no "JDM" Type R hatch, and the reason we didn't get them sooner is because of the cost of importing them from the UK wasn't viable. The Civic does have slightly different chassis between the sedan and the hatch, but that's not uncommon these days (Corolla/Auris anyone?). Yes, the Civic Type R sedan is Japan-only, but everywhere else in the world misses out on it too. At least this time we're actually getting a Type R, not a re-badged Type S like the DC5

And you've got it the wrong way around, the Civic hatch isn't based off the Jazz platform (although the rear suspension is), and allegedly the new Jazz will be based off the Civic hatch chassis (which won't be for a while considering a new one has just come out)

By the way, as it is relevant to the topic, Nissan will be (are) actually selling the GT-R through Nissan dealers in Australia. At the moment though, it just appears to be the ones that have been pre-ordered. Nissan even have a list of the authorised dealers up on their GT-R micro-site.

it's less of an incentive for nissan to bring in in the future as they lose sales?

Nissan Australia loses sales, Nissan Japan still gets the money in the end.

It isn't Nissan Australia's fault for the delay in getting the R35 here. The head office would rather send more to America and ignore us. Hopefully this gives Nissan Australia a leg to stand on in the future when bargaining the next contract. But I do suspect that the R32's not being able to be sold back in the day might of had an effect.

My friends Dad had what I think was the first or second registered one in AUS...

He was driving it back in August / September last year...

I spotted Demir's R35 last week too at Chatswood... DEMIRZ are the plates...

He drives the convertible 360 Fez on Saturdays, the missus usually has the Hummer and any day of the week you'll see his AMG's, Aston Martins, Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Beemers, etc, etc, etc...

Gotta be something with leather lounges that I'm missing...

even the new honda type R isent even based on the correct floorpan as japanese ones, the ones we get are just moked up off honda jazz floorpans what a joke!!!

Ahh, which Type R is that? The Civic Type R? They're directly imported from Britain, where they are made. All Civic Type R hatchbacks are the same, there is no "JDM" Type R hatch, and the reason we didn't get them sooner is because of the cost of importing them from the UK wasn't viable. The Civic does have slightly different chassis between the sedan and the hatch, but that's not uncommon these days (Corolla/Auris anyone?). Yes, the Civic Type R sedan is Japan-only, but everywhere else in the world misses out on it too. At least this time we're actually getting a Type R, not a re-badged Type S like the DC5

And you've got it the wrong way around, the Civic hatch isn't based off the Jazz platform (although the rear suspension is), and allegedly the new Jazz will be based off the Civic hatch chassis (which won't be for a while considering a new one has just come out)

yes i should of stated that i was talking about the the civic type R, from what i can make out theres 2 makes of the car. 1 jdm make only sold in japan, and the one made and imported from the uk that every one else gets based on the honda jazz floorpan.

i dont really understand why we have been neglected for years by japanese car makers, all we ever get are watered down bombs.

Here here.

We did get the FD3s on full import here, not too many other markets got that one ;)

yes i should of stated that i was talking about the the civic type R, from what i can make out theres 2 makes of the car. 1 jdm make only sold in japan, and the one made and imported from the uk that every one else gets based on the honda jazz floorpan.

What's wrong with basing a car off another (somewhat less desirable) car's platform? The ST Celica range is based off a Corona of all things, yet no-one complains about that. Sure the FN2 hatch gets torsion-beam rear-end (same layout as the Sportivo, and most modern hatchbacks actually), but it's more than just a Jazz with a different body. The car is bigger in every way, including track and wheel-base, it still runs a K20 that still screams it's head off, it is still badged and sold as a Type R by Honda, and if the FD2 didn't exist people would be perfectly happy with it.

I laugh when people claim it's not a "real" Type R, simply because a better version exists. The DC5 was a different story because Honda Australia was re-badging Type S models as Type R without adding Type R bits and pieces.

• 4 months later...

Finally got to get close enough to one to be able to drool over it. I would so buy one if I had the money.

I just had to take photos... unfortunately with my phone:

image397.jpg

image391.jpg

image390.jpg

image394x.jpg

image392.jpg

One thing I noticed is how good the driving position is. It is hard to explain, but you feel secure enough to not slide all over the place, yet it's so comfortable that it feels like you are sitting in a luxury saloon.