dyno testing 22nd april

Hey guys just letting you know I will be getting my car dyno

Tested. The guy these said no point wasting my money on ces 5kw atw porteds stock headers.

He wants to dyno it and see if its pinging and maybe put a haltech platnum intercepter. In to straighten outout the fuel and air ratio

He said I'm looking at 1500 including dynos and if there isn't gains I won't pay.

I won't to know if anyone has had a piggyback system like this in their rolla or 2zz.

Lhe is a well known mechanic and has done a lot of work, any ideas guys?

I dont think that model Haltech will work with the 2zz-ge, its not on their list of supported engines....For $1500 you could get a 2nd hand PowerFC fitted and tuned.

oh rly :P

that means i only need this much for my power FC :yahoo:

dyno tune... well, i say go with what North has said... then again, its your choice :P

Evo

I dont think that model Haltech will work with the 2zz-ge, its not on their list of supported engines....For $1500 you could get a 2nd hand PowerFC fitted and tuned.

the platinum interceptor will work on the AE112R Sportivo (Turbo) and prefacelift and facelift 1zzfe corolla

it will also work on the 2zz, same trigger, ignition, injector and maf setup as a 1zz. Tad overpriced though if they're mainly focussing on the AFR's. Timing is where you make power in NA form.

Emanage Blue or an Exede (Identical to original Haltech Interceptor...) can control AFR and Timing, so can emanage ultimate but they're still fetching a premium secondhand. It's possible to score a secondhand emanage blue with support tool cable for ~$300 these days. A $200 fields harness makes installation a snap if you want it plug and play with NO modifications to your original engine harness (Maintaining toyota electrical warranty). Then a couple of hours dyno time @ 200/hr should net you around 5-10kw atw through the entire rev range depending on how good the tuner is. You need to run an obd2 scanner at the same time as tuning the piggyback monitoring the ignition advance and the engine knock, that way you can see when the ignition has been pushed too far and is actually losing you power. When toyota's detect knock on the factory ecu they quickly pull out ALL the ignition advance which kills the power. With the leftover money you could easily get your headers ported.

well i do think 1500 for the haltech platnum interceptor is a bit expencive including dynos, tuned and installation etc.

he did only talk about AMR's for the moment but ill have a word with him tomorrow when i gget my first dyno sheet, to see what he thinks need work first.

does anyone have a phone number that i could talk to a tuner about the haltech platinum interceptor?

info on it is here too.

ive seen many other posts on ECU's but i would like to find out what gains would i be looking at? 10-15kw maybe?

my tuner said he wouldnt bother doing it if i wasnt going to gain atleast 15kw out of it.......

Platinum Interceptor

The New Driving Force in Engine Management

The Platinum Interceptor is a totally new “piggy back” ECU designed to work in parallel with your existing factory ECU.

The Platinum Interceptor provides tuning of fuel mixtures, ignition timing, boost levels and many other features. The Platinum Interceptor is installed using a universal type wiring loom and tuning is performed on a laptop with user friendly Interceptor software for Windows. As the Platinum Interceptor works with the factory ECU, you need only tune where necessary, maximising power whilst maintaining factory levels of economy, idle quality, cold start etc.

Performance has never been achieved so quickly, easily and affordably.

The Platinum Interceptor has been fully tested on many makes and models, with the range of supported vehicles constantly being expanded.

Current Supported Vehicles:

Supported models continually updated!

With so many new innovative features, the opposition will be left behind.

[Platinum Interceptor]

The Platinum Interceptor includes (basic):

Taken from the haltech site.

ECU Programmable Computer, Interceptor Wire Harness, Programming Software & Haltech Stickers

RRP: from $750 AUD Inc GST

Edited by Brad-dreama

The guy these said no point wasting my money on ces 5kw atw porteds stock headers.

He wants to dyno it and see if its pinging and maybe put a haltech platnum intercepter. In to straighten outout the fuel and air ratio

He said I'm looking at 1500 including dynos and if there isn't gains I won't pay.

I won't to know if anyone has had a piggyback system like this in their rolla or 2zz.

Lhe is a well known mechanic and has done a lot of work, any ideas guys?

I'm just wondering where you are getting your dyno or possibly dyno tuning done??

Provided you have good quality fuel everytime you fill up, then pinging shouldn't be an issue *knock on wood*. Also as several other users have mentioned, tuning the AFR will not net you much of a power gain. Its mostly in the timing that the work has to be done to get any kind of useful gains.

Are you looking at installing an aftermarket ECU or piggyback ECU?. If your tuner only suggested to straighten to correct the AFR then I would be a bit concerned if he was tuning my car. But then you just need to discuss with him and I'm sure he will know what he is doing.

As for wasting money, I think spending money on a corolla is a waste of money in general. You don't get much more kw for the amount of money you are spending. If you had to spend money on performance parts then I would only do CAI and ported headers as they are possibly the more useful mods to do.

My installation + tuning cost me about $1200. But because I got the PFC for only $780 delivered, it is considered cheap for $2000 all up.

well thats what he recommended i do because he says he can get gains out of it ahaha.

ill be talking to him tomorrow anyway just to have another chat about things.

how is it with the power Fc and running lift at 5400rpm?

I have gotten use to it so I can't really comment.

My initial impression was increased low down torque and the fact that the curve is more linear the power spins up much quicker. Not to mention landing in lift was so damn easy.

RRP: from $750 AUD Inc GST

$1500 final cost, how long is he expecting to take tuning it? I didn't think it was possible to spend that long adjusting AFRs. Generally dyno time is included in the tuning costs.

See what a couple of other tuners think, don't be suprised if they steer you to another product as they all like to tune one setup over another.

1550 is pretty exy.....

as superdave says if the RRP of the Haltech is $750....

$800 for fitting and tuning??? most dyno's will charge around $100 - 150 per hour for the tuner to Hire them... let alone if its his own dyno... and AFR's shouldnt take any more than 5- 10 runs...

CHA54 makes good mention of the timing... and also am angles in the 2zz where you will see the majority of gains...

Also.. dont go looking for peak power... yes you will improve.. but its all about the torque improvements lower in the rev range... driveability.

yes im aware of the price. thats what im going to talk about to him tonight.

and yes i dont want peak power. im more interested in torque and driveablity

tonights dyno runs will cost me 100.

then ill give feedback on what he says we should look at doing.

im thinking of ces headers.

and what do you mean the timing? ignition timing? isnt there retard timing etc. im not too sure.

and what does Am stand for?

has anyone else worked on their AFRs and knowticed much difference?

we gained 2-4kw atw working on open loop AFR only on a 1zz, the real increases come from ignition timing advance. I think you'll find mr BKS left out the C... Cam Angles.

Edited by CHA54

If you do your search around, you will find that for the 2zz AFR tuning, does not translate to much gain in general. Try researching on newcelica.org and 9thgencorolla.com

You would have to spend a decent amount of time on the vvti map(?) to get decent improvement in your system.

Wernt you like super concerned about warranty like a week ago, and now you want to install an ecu ?

Umm like a month or two ago maybe/ and what does it matter to you mate

What if I don't do anything besides planning in months to a year?

What is with people like you, keep it to your self if you have nothing worth talking about!

Think before you post dude, honestly what are you trying to achieve?

Sorry but I can't deal when people act like this, being friendly and positive doesn't hurt.

Edited by Brad-dreama

Wernt you like super concerned about warranty like a week ago, and now you want to install an ecu ?

What is with people like you, keep it to your self if you have nothing worth talking about!

Sorry but I can't deal when people act like this, being friendly and positive doesn't hurt.

Whats it to me ? Nothing at all actually. I was just amused to see that the modification bug has bitten hard enough to convince you that your warranty is now worthless.

Anyway, I appreciate the emo rant. You guys bite pretty hard around here huh ?

its the way you put it man.

i dont mind talking about that stuff and yeah i understand what you have to say.

well tonight i did a few tests and i got inbetween 105-113 kw averaged at about 108.

it was pretty lean all the way through. in the 11-12s and it drops alot just before lift and then it goes up to around 13.2 in lift......

he said a few good points.

ill post up tomorrow a graph of the dyno charts.

its the way you put it man.

iit was pretty lean all the way through. in the 11-12s and it drops alot just before lift and then it goes up to around 13.2 in lift......

Those AFRs aren't what I'd call lean under load, that looks very typical to me.

Gav.

sounds almost identical to my afr read out. .

seems the sportivos like to richen up right before lift kicks in. could be worth tuning the afrs are that point if you were looking to gain a little mid range power and smooth the lift transition point

Whats it to me ? Nothing at all actually. I was just amused to see that the modification bug has bitten hard enough to convince you that your warranty is now worthless.

Anyway, I appreciate the emo rant. You guys bite pretty hard around here huh ?

thats gold :blink::blink: