Webbing-Grabber seatbelt retrofit

2008camrydriver

I have a 1994 Camry which has inertia reel seat belts and I'm wanting to retrofit some webbing-grabber seat belts (see: http://dogandlemon.com/media/Safety%20PDF/...20Restraint.pdf for more info) which are safer. My car dosen't have aribags.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this to their camry and what they did.

wow,

that looks pretty interesting. i wish i had some info on this one for you. let me know how it goes. if its a relatively simple job then i may get it done as well.

I know that the generation after mine has webber-grabbers so if can find them out of a car at the wreckers that has just broken down and not crashed or maybe buy new ones from toyota or an auto-parts supplier. No idea who sells them though.

Just want to let you know it's illegal to fit 2nd hand seat belts on a car. So dont get them from the wreckers and its the only thing stopping you from flying out the windscreen. Buy new!

Just want to let you know it's illegal to fit 2nd hand seat belts on a car. So dont get them from the wreckers and its the only thing stopping you from flying out the windscreen. Buy new!

Fair point...who sells new ones? Are they stocked by autoparts shops or do I need to go through Toyota?

I have a 1994 Camry which has inertia reel seat belts and I'm wanting to retrofit some webbing-grabber seat belts (see: http://dogandlemon.com/media/Safety%20PDF/...20Restraint.pdf for more info) which are safer. My car dosen't have aribags.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done this to their camry and what they did.

Lol, i was thinking the exact same thing when i read the 'Dog & Lemon' guide. If the retrofit isn;t too costly, i might do this myself. Unfortunately, i don;t know where any after market seat belt vendors are and genuine Toyota would cost more than the car xD. I guess the best bet would be to get them from New Zealand if you can't find any here (you'll find the reasons in the article if you're interested). let e know how you go.

Having read some of the Lemon guides out there, I'd still take it with a grain of salt.

Some things they seem to be right on the money, other things they are completely off on, either biased/ill-informed or poorly researched.

There'll be a reason why they haven't been fitted in Australian models, and I'd concentrate on improving active safety (tyres, brakes etc, things that prevent accidents) before worrying about passive safety (seatbelts, airbags etc, things that lessen accident damage/injury)

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Having read some of the Lemon guides out there, I'd still take it with a grain of salt.

Some things they seem to be right on the money, other things they are completely off on, either biased/ill-informed or poorly researched.

There'll be a reason why they haven't been fitted in Australian models, and I'd concentrate on improving active safety (tyres, brakes etc, things that prevent accidents) before worrying about passive safety (seatbelts, airbags etc, things that lessen accident damage/injury)

In seeing the driving habits of my fellow commuters/holiday makers I think the best safety improvement I could have is an idiot detector. However I don't have the money nor the evil-genius to invent one and my car already has it's active safety sorted, short of retrofiting ABS.

So if I can do something to improve the passive safety then I will.