Tail light tint

addy287

hey all,

as the title says i am thinking of tiniting my tail lights. i have seen a few camrys on the net with if done and i think it looks quiet good. obviously i dont want to do it if it is illegal, but i have been looking around on the rta website and can't find if it is or isn't. i was wondering if anyone on here knew where i could find this info, or if u know it is legal or not.

i also am having trouble finding where to buy it, i tried several newsagents but they didn't sell black, i also tried an art store but same outcome.

any help will be much appreciated

addy

hey all,

as the title says i am thinking of tiniting my tail lights. i have seen a few camrys on the net with if done and i think it looks quiet good. obviously i dont want to do it if it is illegal, but i have been looking around on the rta website and can't find if it is or isn't. i was wondering if anyone on here knew where i could find this info, or if u know it is legal or not.

i also am having trouble finding where to buy it, i tried several newsagents but they didn't sell black, i also tried an art store but same outcome.

addy

hey mate

Any front or rear light tint is illegal and if the pollice feel picky they will do you for it. However this sayd ive tinted the rear lights on my car and the black on white tone looks good. I havent been pulled over regarding it yet, and at the random defect station they just look at it and dont bother.

You can buy Light Tint at either SUPERCHEAP AUTO / AUTO BARN / SPRINT AUTO and there around$15 to $20 if you get it any where else other then SuperCheap Auto.

hey all,

addy

hey mate

Any front or rear light tint is illegal and if the pollice feel picky they will do you for it. However this sayd ive tinted the rear lights on my car and the black on white tone looks good. I havent been pulled over regarding it yet, and at the random defect station they just look at it and dont bother.

You can buy Light Tint at either SUPERCHEAP AUTO / AUTO BARN / SPRINT AUTO and there around$15 to $20 if you get it any where else other then SuperCheap Auto.

thanx mate i will look into it

another mention is this,

make sure you have some turps laying around... first time i did mine the tint started to run and it made it look messy... cleaning dried/wet spray tint off plastic IS NOT cool... takes ages.

another mention is this,

make sure you have some turps laying around... first time i did mine the tint started to run and it made it look messy... cleaning dried/wet spray tint off plastic IS NOT cool... takes ages.

thanks for the advice, is it hard to do?

another mention is this,

thanks for the advice, is it hard to do?

As easy as *****, Just gota know how to spray :)

hey all,

addy

hey mate

A product called NightShades can't remember who made it? (maybe VHT),i think ya can still get it and from memory it's around the $30 mark.

ive done mine, havent had any problems yet, someone in vic told me if you cant see your tail light brake lights from 20mtrs then its illegal, but havent confirmed this.

i used a product called shadow tint, did about 1layer, looked crappy so i did about 3 - 4 layers until the can was empty lol. easy to do, best to do it on a sunny day to let it dry quicker too

ive done mine, havent had any problems yet, someone in vic told me if you cant see your tail light brake lights from 20mtrs then its illegal, but havent confirmed this.

i used a product called shadow tint, did about 1layer, looked crappy so i did about 3 - 4 layers until the can was empty lol. easy to do, best to do it on a sunny day to let it dry quicker too

is it a spray? or like a film like window tint.....

and if u stuff it up, wots tha best thing to use to get it off?

is it a spray? or like a film like window tint.....

and if u stuff it up, wots tha best thing to use to get it off?

its a spray (you can get tint and then cut to size... but its allot more work involved)

if you screw up when you tint just use a rag and terp... then dry it off.

the procedure is really easy

Steps

1: remove lights

2: wash the lights with sponge,hot soapy water

3: dry off (either let it dry or use a blow dryer ;) )

4: spray a layer of tint and let it dry

5: if you want to go darker re spray

6: let it dry and then put them back on > you can use a blow drying ON LOW ( it can cause it to run) to help it dry faster.

Mind askin a bit about this?

How do we find out if it's illegal or not? In NSW btw... Friend told me it's legal for tail lights, but never legal for headlights... Just wanna confirm this.

And do supercheap auto only sell 1 specific tint? I mean.. Can we choose the level of darkness for the tint?

Depends who you are thats driving it really :P. I helped Tint my mates VRX Magna tail lights and we didnt do it too dark very clearly seen lights etc. And he got picked up for it and defected 2 weeks after doing it, i think it was more to do with the Hanging P plate than anything else. My boss did it to his VN T30 and but what he did was biff the light after tinting it making it look like it was already done like that at the factory and he hasnt been picked up for it althought he is in his 30's.

Bottom line its illegal although cops only care if your young and have P Plates on your car!

My mate just got defected last week in the city for havin tinted tail lights on his IS250 LoL

He bought a special film from the USA which is cut for certain cars so you dont have to cut anythin, just peel it off and stick it on. When he went to get his defect cleared off a mate, even his mate said he can pass him on all his other defects he copped but the tail light tint has to come off :(

That was the only thing he didnt really want to take off :lol:

Maybe it might have just made it worse cos his car is black as well B)

does anyone know where we can get information about illegal and legal modifications?

I've been looking through the RTA site and a friend has aswell and we just can't find anything about it

My mate just got defected last week in the city for havin tinted tail lights on his IS250 LoL

He bought a special film from the USA which is cut for certain cars so you dont have to cut anythin, just peel it off and stick it on. When he went to get his defect cleared off a mate, even his mate said he can pass him on all his other defects he copped but the tail light tint has to come off :(

That was the only thing he didnt really want to take off :lol:

Maybe it might have just made it worse cos his car is black as well B)

Omg...My car's black as well...That's the whole point in having a tint on black car... :( :( :(

Should've asked the police for the guide on the defect thing...lol