Price range and recommendations for quiet tyres

DUB

i'm still deciding on which wheels to get for my aurion at this stage but one thing i'm not sure about is the tyre choice...

it's been a while since i've been into the game so i'm basically out of touch with the tyre ranges nowadays, so can anybody give recommendations on which tyre that are very quiet to run on?

i'm not really into any sporty cornering grip performance etc out of the aurion, i just want a smooth quiet ride that has decent grip in wet or dry (i'd expect something similar if not slightly better than the TRD Aurions)

also what is the price range for tyres on the aurion nowadays (for 19" and 20" wheels?)

I think somebody once told me Kumho and Hankook are very good tyres for big wheels, but apparently they are relatively on the 'high-ish' side...

Can anybody recommend which ones are good value and/or which ones to avoid at all costs??

i don think kumho and hankook are supposed to b listed as 'very good' tyres... they are cheaper than others, yes.. and cheaper means ??? (guess)

if u wanna know they are quiet? i can tell u now, it isnt what u r looking for :D

dont ever think u can go large size tyres and expect it to be low priced like those normal 16 or 17inch ones..

The tyres supplied on a TRD are excellent and are considered top end. They are Dunlop Sport Maxx. The standard size for the TRD tyres is 245/35/19 and they are anything but cheap. The best price I have been quoted so far is $518 a corner. They do seem to be a very good tyre though. I read a few reviews that said they were noisy but they are more than acceptable in my book.

Kumho and Hankook aren't considered by anyone to be 'very good' tyres. They do a reasonable job at a budget price but are no competition for the Dunlop/Bridgestone/Michelin offerings.

519 a corner for set of 19s i reckon is a bit too much even for the best... Unless we're talkin about racing and stuff

For daily use... 2ks for tyres are way too much.. That would last me around 5 years on set of 20s

If you plan on going for 20 inch wheels, this will also restrict your choice for tires. Tires for theses wheels aren't going to be cheap and for something quiet, expect to pay something like $600 a corner I would say.

The tyres supplied on a TRD are excellent and are considered top end. They are Dunlop Sport Maxx. The standard size for the TRD tyres is 245/35/19 and they are anything but cheap. The best price I have been quoted so far is $518 a corner. They do seem to be a very good tyre though. I read a few reviews that said they were noisy but they are more than acceptable in my book.

When Elgin had his TRD, he got himself some Potenza Adrenalins for cheaper than that (approx $450 a corner). Not only did he get better grip, he also reckons they were quieter than the Dunlops.

I noticed he was running them. I was using them on my WRX for a while and found them to be excellent too. I can't compare road noise with the Dunlop though as they are on a completerly different car.

For $450 I would be more than happy to chuck Potenza's on :)

its good to see everyone has the same idea/knowledge on something.. :o

i suggest u keep the originals ones on, unless u thinking to get bigger tyres.. but do some saving first..

aurion isnt a SPORTS car or anything close, so noisy tyres wont really suit.. IMO

it is more like a family car, with a little bit of extra power for carrying the usual family stuff~

aurion isnt a SPORTS car or anything close, so noisy tyres wont really suit.. IMO

it is more like a family car, with a little bit of extra power for carrying the usual family stuff~

Yeah it's a little bit of a boat and it is a family car, but with the right bolt-ons and decent tires, it's surprisingly good.

my 2 cents if it's worth anything..

i've got Yokohama Advance Sport 103 245/35/R20 best tyre i've ever owned and i've bought a few over the years,this tyres not cheap expect to pay around $600 a corner but chasing DJKOR(daryl) thru the hills in outer Melbourne on the weekend just proved it to me and the missus how quiet and smooth they are and we had no trouble at all in the damp sometimes wet conditions,they were an absolute treat to drive/play on,i was really surprised and impressed..

Moto: when i needed new tyres for my trd, the cheapest i could find was like $530ish... so all up it would have costed me like $2200...

thats how i justified getting 20s... :P hahaha

Cheers fot the info. but I'm a little confused. Are you saying for the high cost of the 4 tyres was so much that you got a new 20" wheel/tyre package for not much extra? Or are you saying that getting a 20" tyre is cheaper than getting a 19" in the size to fit the standard TRD rim?

I really like the TRD rims and want to keep them so may have to bite the bullet as far as tyre's go.....

Sweet, that's would I thought. I'll have to cross the bridge when the times comes I guess. What will you do when you need to get some tyres? Get a 3rd set of rims? :P You could sell the others off and it would be a cheaper way of doing things! :ph34r::yahoo:

to be honest, thats what i've done with all my cars...

whenever i need new tyres, i sell the old rims and buy new rims/tyres... :ph34r:

this is, of course, only if i dont care about the type of tyres that go on the car....

these days, my car sees 'spirited mountain driving' maybe once a month, if that... so 'sporty' tyres is just a waste for me... :(

i am thinking about getting some semi slicks for the stocko trd rims that are sitting in my garage though... that way when i want to, i can chuck them on and take it for a strap in the mountains or to the drags..

but then again, i'm lazy... so i'll prolly never end up using them... :lol:

Yeah, I'm the same really. I did have a set of spare wheels for my Suby (long story) and wanted to get some semi slicks for the track. I knew I could never be bothered in swapping them out so didn't buy the tyres in the end.

I also drive the car 125Km's a day to work and back and just pootle along (mostly) so super duper tyres and needed for me either. Thanks for the help above:)

Kumho and Hankook aren't considered by anyone to be 'very good' tyres. They do a reasonable job at a budget price but are no competition for the Dunlop/Bridgestone/Michelin offerings.

Pretty sure the Kumho KU36 will s**t all over the Dunlop Sport Maxx @ less than 1/2 the price for performance.

Bridgestones are good, but there are bridgstones and there are bridgestone - the KU36 will s**t all over the RE001s as well for performance for less $$.

Michelin? they lost the plot somewhere - don't like any of their tyres and are over priced.

Don't know about Hankook

Having said that, the Bridgestone RE001 is a good compromise between performance and tyre noise

Edited by e240

Aren't the KU36 aimed more at track days and the like. The wear is nothing like the other tyres mentioned that are specifically designed for road use. Any tyre designed for track use should be better than a straight road going tyre.

Also the original question relates to tyres for 19/20" wheels and as far as I can see from the Kumho website the KU36 only goes upto 18" so wouldn't fit my car or the original posters car anyway.

At the end of the day tyre preference is like a lot of things, a personal choice, so everyone's opinions need to be taken with a pinch of salt :)

Edited by Moto

Well, the Dunlop Sport Maxx are touted as an ultra high performance tyre and so is the KU36, therefore in the same class.

Wear on the KU36 is close to the RE001 anyway.

"Kumho and Hankook aren't considered by anyone to be 'very good' tyres. They do a reasonable job at a budget price but are no competition for the Dunlop/Bridgestone/Michelin offerings."

^ its just the above statement is abit ill-informed about Kumhos and normally cooked up by the Dunlop/Bridgestone & Michelin retailers. But having said that, Bridgestones have by far the best Semi slick I have tried (RE55s) - So i surmise that you can't go wrong with bridgestone...LOL - (I should get a bridgestone sponsorship!)

Aren't the KU36 aimed more at track days and the like. The wear is nothing like the other tyres mentioned that are specifically designed for road use. Any tyre designed for track use should be better than a straight road going tyre.

Also the original question relates to tyres for 19/20" wheels and as far as I can see from the Kumho website the KU36 only goes upto 18" so wouldn't fit my car or the original posters car anyway.

At the end of the day tyre preference is like a lot of things, a personal choice, so everyone's opinions need to be taken with a pinch of salt :)

Edited by e240

That's a fair point and I concede I may have been a little hard on Kumho. I believe that as a rule the offerings from the main manufacturers are 'generally' better than that of Kumho. This is based on my own personal experience with both.

I am not referring to the top level tyres of each now more there general product range. I have had some bad experiences with Kumho Excsta's.

• 1 month later...

I have the standard wheels.

Currently I have Dunlop SE sport 33E, 215/65 95v rated. They've been fine for the suburban and occasional country family car use this vehicle gets.

Does anyone have further recommendations for standard tyre settings? There's lots in here for bigger wheels, but not so much for stock.

Cheers

I have the standard Michelin Energy (not sure which model) that came with my car and honestly i cant really complain. I haven't driven with those $500 a corner tyres before so maybe that is the problem, however, i cant really justify spending that much on my car when it is just used as a commuter vehicle. I'm not sure about the price of the Michelin Energy's but maybe someone can shed some light, although i doubt they're too expensive considering they did come stock, but honestly, i am very happy with these tyres.

I have the standard Michelin Energy (not sure which model) that came with my car and honestly i cant really complain. I haven't driven with those $500 a corner tyres before so maybe that is the problem, however, i cant really justify spending that much on my car when it is just used as a commuter vehicle. I'm not sure about the price of the Michelin Energy's but maybe someone can shed some light, although i doubt they're too expensive considering they did come stock, but honestly, i am very happy with these tyres.

They would be the Michelin Energy MXV8.

When it came to new tires, the MXV8's were $199 a corner and the Adrenalin was $235 for the exact same size. For an extra $140 all round, the Adreanalin was well priced.